Wind and flight line in the same direction.

camojohn

What is my best decoying strategy when the wind and flight line in the same direction?

I’m going out shooting over rape and the forecast is a wind of 15 mph with gusts of 25 mph, so I want to be tucked behind a tree or hedge.

Sorry just seen the answer I want in another post but dont know how to delete this one.

Edited by camojohn

Try to position yourself so that the wind is in your face.

I'd put two random patterns out in front of you with 15 yard gap between them and about 25 yards out. If you have a flapper or a magnet place it central (between the two patterns) at 12-15 yards out.

This hopefully will direct the birds into the gap and you'll be shooting over the magnet.

Wind at your back, surely. Or is that a typo?

Try to position yourself so that the wind is in your face.

I'd put two random patterns out in front of you with 15 yard gap between them and about 25 yards out. If you have a flapper or a magnet place it central (between the two patterns) at 12-15 yards out.

This hopefully will direct the birds into the gap and you'll be shooting over the magnet.

Edited by Penelope

wind behind you, yes, decoys well out in one or two patterns yes, flappers or magnet between you and the pattern (s), one extra thing you can try to draw them a bit closer in, if you have enough decoys, put half a dozen close in to your right or left, any bird coming in that fails to commit to the pattern will be tempted to drop in with the other half dozen, reason to go left or right, you dont want the birds coming straight at you as they may well see you at the last minute and turn away, also you dont want them too close as serious damage occurs to soft flesh when shot at point blank range, I call it the splatter shot, bits all over, yuk, best of luck and seasons greetings to all PW members, :lol::lol:

wind behind you, yes, decoys well out in one or two patterns yes, flappers or magnet between you and the pattern (s), one extra thing you can try to draw them a bit closer in, if you have enough decoys, put half a dozen close in to your right or left, any bird coming in that fails to commit to the pattern will be tempted to drop in with the other half dozen, reason to go left or right, you dont want the birds coming straight at you as they may well see you at the last minute and turn away, also you dont want them too close as serious damage occurs to soft flesh when shot at point blank range, I call it the splatter shot, bits all over, yuk, best of luck and seasons greetings to all PW members, :lol::lol:

Just goes to show how folk go about decoying differently. I mostly place my decoys in close. I DO want birds to come straight at me. Lastly, I am aiming to get every bird to decoy in close. That offers the best chance of a kill.