Hi guys I am new to the forum and would like to introduces myself.

Alf Catherall

Hi guys I am new to the forum and would like to introduces myself.

My name is Alfred Catherall I live in Newcastle upon Tyne and I am a practicing falconer / someone who hunts with birds of prey.

Unfortunately I am not a shooter although I have come to this forum for a little help so I hope you guys don't mind my involvement.

O.K. the reason why I have joined this group is I am looking for anyone in the Northeast preferably around Newcastle upon Tyne who could supply me with steel shot woodpigeons.
I need steel shot because these pigeons are going to be fed to my birds of prey and lead if ingested by the hawks it could be fatal so its steel shot only!
Looking for around 50 to 100 pigeons to start with more later in the year I am also willing to pay £1.50p per bird so if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Alf Catherall.

Is there a risk of birds of prey picking up lead contaminated food thats not been retrieved in the wild? I guess there is.

It's a risk just like one might have been pricked from a previous encounter with a shotgun although the food value of pigeon for breeding falcons out ways the risk although we try to minimize the chances by feeding steel shot birds.

Sorry misread your post you mean wild birds of prey ingesting lead shot?

I guess there are still plenty of wild hawks out there so it's not having a big effect.

Although wild birds don't feed on shotgun killed birds four times a week.

Edited by Alf Catherall

Thanks for all the welcomes this really does seem to be a friendly group.

Sorry I can't get involved with you guys with a one to one shooting dialog as I know very little regarding shooting.

Having said that if I am allowed I might just keep in the background and learn a few things while I am here.

Still looking for pigeons! Lol.

Edited by Alf Catherall

Hi.

As others have said, you are more than welcome.

Check out the country sports section quote ..... " This is the forum for falconry, ferreting, as well as fishing and other country pastimes."

I am sure you will get plenty of offers before long :good:

Its a shame you are so far away , we would give our back teeth to get £1.50 a bird in these parts.

Bare in mind pigeon shooting is not easy at this time of year so you may not get all the birds you need in one hit , better to stock the freezer up in the spring and summer months.

It may be worth ringing these guys as they buy in steel shot pigeon at 50p so may also be supplying them .

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/264347-frozen-steel-shot-wood-pigeons/

Edited by fenboy

Its a shame you are so far away , we would give our back teeth to get £1.50 a bird in these parts.

Bare in mind pigeon shooting is not easy at this time of year so you may not get all the birds you need in one hit , better to stock the freezer up in the spring and summer months.

It may be worth ringing these guys as they buy in steel shot pigeon at 50p so may also be supplying them .

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/264347-frozen-steel-shot-wood-pigeons/

Thanks for the link.

I have used Honybrooks in the past for hawk food although I was not aware that they might have pigeons for sale.

I will contact them on the off chance you never know.

Welcome to the forum, as someone has said put a post in the Wanted section with the heading "Steel shot pigeons wanted - £1.50/bird paid"… that will ensure people read it and although most will shoot with lead there will be lads on here who could shoot with steel "to order".

Best of luck, hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome to the forum, as someone has said put a post in the Wanted section with the heading "Steel shot pigeons wanted - £1.50/bird paid"… that will ensure people read it and although most will shoot with lead there will be lads on here who could shoot with steel "to order".

Best of luck, hope you enjoy the forum.

I am still trying to find my way around this forum and I am not sure where to post my wanted add?

I am still trying to find my way around this forum and I am not sure where to post my wanted add?

Under "The Trading Post" there are a number of sub-headings (Guns for sale, Guns Wanted, Other Sales etc) and there is a "Wanted" section there. As a new member you may not have access to that (I can't remember), if that is the case message a moderator who may be able to help you out.