Great wall Steed

lee-kinsman

I have owned and driven a Steed for two years 35,000 on the clock.

Cannot fault the truck, it does everything I want it to and more.

It is good on and off road, and have had no problems when needing anything undertaken.

Contact me via PM for more detailed information.

You will find the Steed is treated a little like a Hatsan on PW, Ignore the Daniel Dooms of this world who have never driven or owned one, but know and have suffered all of the faults a truck can have.

There was mention only a week or two ago about one rotting away and would not pass it's first MOT.

Edited by bakerboy

Despite what BB has to say , you do not particularly need one to know a little about them.

My brother in law works at a great wall main dealer , they are also a mitsibishi main dealer .

So this is what I have been told by someone who works with them day in and day out , they get numerous problems with QC mainly trim falling off and such like rattles and squeeks .

At one stage they were stripping two trucks to try and make one good one .

This was a good while ago now so perhaps things have changed for the better , if you like I will ask him what current problems are if any.

Like all things there could be good ones and bad ones , some say there Hatsans are flawless , perhaps BB got a good one , but one good one does not make them a excellent motor , of course you do get what you pay for to some extent.

It would be interesting to hear what your brother in law has to say, maybe I have been lucky.

Equally one bad truck does not make them all rubbish.

Yes you get what you pay for, that is true, and there are certainly some bits that could be better.

I had the wiper motor fail, I took the truck to the dealers, they did not have a wiper motor in stock, but as with most main dealers these are parts that are not stocked but delivered in on same day or next day service; what did the dealer do?

Took a motor off a truck in the show room, fitted it to mine truck and away I went a very happy customer. Now is that good service or bad?

I have enjoyed many new prestige motors over the years, most have come with problems, the worst 1) Landrover Discovery, 2 engines replacements in under 70,000 miles 2) Mercedes 300 TD Avant Garde near side suspension failure "Curl Spring" collapsed, and some while late near side front wheel stub axle failure.

Please excuse terminology as I am not a mechanic.

Would I say Mercedes and Landrover are poor cars? no. Maybe I was as unlucky with them as I have been lucky with the Great Wall Steed.

It's all subjective, it's about what you are to do with the vehicle.

I.e If you are looking for a luxury prestige 4X4... with super attention to detail look on.

If you are looking for a work horse where you won't be upset if you get in it with muddy boots or broke bits offroad then why not consider it.

Despite what BB has to say , you do not particularly need one to know a little about them.

My brother in law works at a great wall main dealer , they are also a mitsibishi main dealer .

So this is what I have been told by someone who works with them day in and day out , they get numerous problems with QC mainly trim falling off and such like rattles and squeeks .

At one stage they were stripping two trucks to try and make one good one .

This was a good while ago now so perhaps things have changed for the better , if you like I will ask him what current problems are if any.

Like all things there could be good ones and bad ones , some say there Hatsans are flawless , perhaps BB got a good one , but one good one does not make them a excellent motor , of course you do get what you pay for to some extent.

Yes I'd be interested in what your brother has to say. They come with a 6 year warrenty as well, that sounds very good. I'm after a workhorse and preferably a pickup with as much value for money as possible.

Yes I'd be interested in what your brother has to say. They come with a 6 year warrenty as well, that sounds very good. I'm after a workhorse and preferably a pickup with as much value for money as possible.

I will see him over the weekend and report back.

If I had the money I would have one as they look like a good work vehicle I have had new navaras in the past that was alright but very pricey I now have a 2002 l200 and love it for it's no frills and I dosent mater if I damage it up the farm for a shoot vehicle I would rather pay less money out as the higher value the more it upsets you when you damage it.

I think the Great Wall steed seems to be a compromise between the two and six year warranty can't be sniffed at

Right , I have sent the brother in law a text and this is what he has to say .

Now remember he has worked with these trucks since they were made available in the uk .

To be honest he has not gone in to great detail but says the following.

They are a **** heap of **** and he would advise anyone not to touch one with a barge pole .

His garage have had so many issues they have now handed the agency back and will be carrying out no further warranty work out on them.

He also says there is a problem at the factory in China and no more will be coming into the country until it is resolved.

He also said if he was a salesman instead of a technician they are the best thing since sliced bread :whistling:

Well that tells a story.

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly.

I will be speaking with my contact tomorrow and ask the question.

I know there was a delivery of trucks arrived just a few weeks ago.

Ah but is your contact a Technician or a salesman :lol:

Clearly there must be some sort of issue for a garage to hand a agency back , I would guess the profit margin is not as good as on the Mitsibushi they also have a agency for and the warranty work has become too time consuming.

Now remember he has worked with these trucks since they were made available in the uk .

To be honest he has not gone in to great detail but says the following.

They are a **** heap of **** and he would advise anyone not to touch one with a barge pole .

His garage have had so many issues they have now handed the agency back and will be carrying out no further warranty work out on them.

He also says there is a problem at the factory in China and no more will be coming into the country until it is resolved.

He also said if he was a salesman instead of a technician they are the best thing since sliced bread :whistling:

Could you find out exactly what the problems are as lots of cars/trucks have problems with stuff like trim etc or are there any mechanical problem that makes it not reliable to drive as I could put up with bits coming loose as long as you can still drive it.

Surely a land rover technician would say the same?

:shaun:

the dealer fenboy is on about is grays of holbeach they stopped selling flue /petrol and diesel as it was to much hassle and no money in it and i can tell you they have stopped selling them but this might be they was selling them against the L200's which are more money the grate wall steed is a older isuzu rodeo except engine and box and the isuzu is a good motor

Edited by littlerob

the dealer fenboy is on about is grays of holbeach they stopped selling flue /petrol and diesel as it was to much hassle and no money in it and i can tell you they have stopped selling them but this might be they was selling them against the L200's which are more money the grate wall steed is a older isuzu rodeo except engine and box and the isuzu is a good motor

It's not an old Isuzu though it's a Chinese copy of an Isuzu. Their plus points are they are cheap but if the basc scheme brings an l200 in at similar money it is a no brainer. That's no dig at terry he got a good deal but they are very un proven in the long term. China just has a very bad history car wise, be nice if the steeds are different but they are still a slight gamble. Time will tell though