How do you plan your trip to the marsh?

harrycatcat1

What I mean is do you just decide the evening before or do you have to forward plan a trip to the marsh?

I work, have business commitments, pheasant syndicate and demanding young granddaughters and familly. For example the earliest I will be on the marsh will be a week tommorrow and that could change if anything crops up. I live 78 miles away from the closest marsh so its normaly between 11.00 or 13.00 before I get back in the house from a morning flight.

I know I could just say flip the lot and go wildfowling as often as possible which would be nice but I have to earn the money to get there.

I know some say "I go out when its a big tide" etc but I have to go when it fits in to my schedule I am afraid.

Just interested in how others operate really.

Regards

H

Hey Harry,

I'm in the same boat. Business commitments, young daughter, wife, syndicate and dogs. I generally find some free time and go and do what I can. This often means that I don't get to go when conditions are perfect, but I get out into the countryside and make the most of it. I've yet to go to a shoot day this year!

Chris

I go every Saturday..would take alot to stop me. If the weather gets very poor I cant work so I go home and load the car, check tides at different locations and head to whichever will be best for that day.

I have 2weeks off over Christmas, the only days I won't be on the foreshore are Sundays, Christmas day and new years day..unless we get a very big fall of snow in which case I will be ploughing.

My annual leave is taken on the day of the full moon and a day either side.

Any spare morning or evening is spent on the foreshore regardless of weather and tide, I just love to be out there wether I think I will get a shot or not!

I will add, I have no wife or children..just me and my young Labrador who never says no to a few hours out with the gun!

Could say I am quite addicted to fowling!

Edited by AberFowl

Interesting question. I quite often go out just to see what's happening, and to find out what the ducks and geese are doing. Occasionally, i'll hear geese over the house and that will often make me book a morning or two off to get down the marsh.

I have built up a reasonable amount of knowledge of the duck and geese movements and how they can be affected by moon and tide. I, like Fenboy says, try and get a trip out to coincide with the tide and sunrise being how I like.

Like my pigeon shooting, I put a fair amount of planning into my trips out. This can even include what kind of cartridges I decide to load the night before a flight.

I also make sure to keep a close eye on the weather conditions. I have had some very successful trips this season that would most likely have not been possible without the correct conditions.

It all depends how close you are to a marsh I suppose. You're a bit like me, miles from a marsh. When I lived in South Yorkshire I used to work and apart from a few days off which I may manage if I knew the weather would be good for fowling, I just used to settle for every weekend on the Humber regardless of conditions. Now I really only Wildfowel a couple of seperate weeks in the season when I travel to Scotland and theit prebooked so can't obviously react to the conditions. For me and like many Wildfowlers it is just the joy of being out there. If the conditions are right and the birds messing it's a bonus for me.

Edited by birdsallpl

Depends on what I'm doing, if it involves trudging through mud etc then I plan a few days in advance for tide and weather.

If it's somewhere I can shoot with ease then I have all my stuff pre-packed short of my flask and gun so I can go at the drop of a hat (self employed) did exactly that last night !

My shooting is planed around work not the other way around. I work a lot of hours in the summer to give plenty of free time in the winter. As for planning for the flight that depends on where I am going. If I am having a day in a boat in the Broads then all my gear , decoys food ect needs sorting out the day before. Not a good idear after a 40 mile drive and half an hour row across the Broad only to find you have the coastal set up of decoys in your bag or realise you have no flask or food when you cant return to dryland for 4 hours. On the other hand I sometimes look out of the window , see the weather looks good and go at the drop of a hat. I have even been known to be half way to the marsh to find a change in wind direction or fog changes my mind and I change my flighting spot to another marsh 25 miles away.

By all means plan your day , but remain flexable so you can react to conditions.

Edited by anser2

Most wildfowling trips are planed around weather and tides , and take this weeks forecast at the beginning of the week it was going to be blowing hard by now and I am just back from the marsh and it was flat calm and dull with slight rain , with hardly a thing on the move and not a shot heard anywhere. so living a long way from the fowling grounds and with limited time to go must be hard to get it right to say the least.

I would say most , if not all wildfowlers who shoot fowl on a regular basis live on or very near there shooting ground so when conditions are favourable they can go ( if there got time ) and most of the good ones I know seem to have the time or if they haven't some how or other they make time to go .