firearm renewal reminder

welshwizard

Just had a letter from my firearms dept reminding me my licence is due for renewal shortly in their words (actually march 12 2015 ) the letter is dated 28/11/14 and it goes in to say I should download docs from their website which I can't as printer u/s or call in and collect .

Now I know things change but I'm pretty sure they enclosed all docs and a help sheet 5years ago on renewal and Is my 21 days running from date of this letter reminder ?

Secondly I have always wondered if all forces only give a few days to get it into them but then have months on their part to sort it in return ?

Getting the reminder 3 months in advance is bog standard (Some forces send it 4 months before). You want to make sure you get the completed renewal in 8 weeks BEFORE the date your FAC expires as if it looks like they aren't going to get your renewal done before you ticket expires, they're duty bound to issue you with a Section 7 which allows you to keep possession of your guns. If you put it in AFTER 8 weeks, they can argue that you haven't left sufficient time and you'll have to put your guns into an RFD which is going to cost.

Clarified by Chief Constable Andy Marsh in the June 2014 FELWG meeting, point 3.5;

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/crime/2014/FELWG_11%20June%202014_Minutes.pdf

If the forms weren't supplied it will be simply because of cost cutting. You can get them at almost all police stations if you don't have access to a printer.

Not sure which 21 days/couple of days you're referring to (you don't mention it other than in the questions).

Just make sure you get it in 8 weeks or more before the date your ticket expires and you'll be fine.

Edited by Breastman

It says in the letter "please make sure that the correspondance is completed and returned within 21 days to allow for sufficient time for processing "

This was in paragraph 2 .

I come under Gwent force and have always got my application in good time but have never had my licence back before expiry , it was after not hearing from them last time I rang to ask for a temp certificate but they refused saying it was not needed so I rang BASC and they rang them but they still would not comply , eventually got it two months late .

It says in the letter "please make sure that the correspondance is completed and returned within 21 days to allow for sufficient time for processing "

This was in paragraph 2 .

I come under Gwent force and have always got my application in good time but have never had my licence back before expiry , it was after not hearing from them last time I rang to ask for a temp certificate but they refused saying it was not needed so I rang BASC and they rang them but they still would not comply , eventually got it two months late .

They don't like is sing sec7 as it is a admittance of failure to renew within the timescales and is a bad mark in their book reg stats,Durham even told my mate that a sec7 didn't exist lol and that they have no recollection of him making a phone call asking for one before he went offshore,where the female officer said don't worry Mr xxxxxxx it will be in the post tomorrow.

Why there still isn't some sort of on-line form is beyond me!!

How easy would it be to be able to type details in, submit them and it gets forwarded to you firearms dept.

Sending documents back and forth is crazy in this day and age.

I was quite impressed that A&S have got modern enough to have an application form that you can actually fill out in downloaded PDF form, so you can print it out fully filled in. Doing it all online would be unbelievable!

Even that is a step in the right direction!!

Why there still isn't some sort of on-line form is beyond me!!

How easy would it be to be able to type details in, submit them and it gets forwarded to you firearms dept.

Sending documents back and forth is crazy in this day and age.

I thought I had read that some forces offer notification of transfers online but again Gwent force don't , would be good if they all followed the same path regarding licencing . Edited by welshwizard

Durham stated on my renewal notice (runs out march 2015) just to send phot copyof cert in with application for renewal in at the momen, due to it going to take a lifetime, but original will have to be sent in before new one is sent out 9 (but i will poss need a sec 7 before then) Handed mine in 4 weeks ago. lets see if they manage to get it renewed before March 2015 lol (got more chance of see a rocky horse ****)

Edited by Davyo

all done and posted , wasn't sure about medical questions (apart from mental / depression bit ) so put my major complaints down , as they requested my old certificate I no longer have it to show officer if stopped so how do I stand there ?

I think that subject is only second to "Which cartridge/choke for clays" on the number of times its been asked/debated.

The short version is you should be ok as the polices PNC system has your details as a certificate holder. Carry an official form of ID so they can be sure you're the person the PNC is referring to.

If your renewal isn't ready by the time your FAC/SGC expires (or rather ring them a week before to see if its going to be ready or not), contact your FLD for a Section 7 certificate - see above.

I think that subject is only second to "Which cartridge/choke for clays" on the number of times its been asked/debated.

The short version is you should be ok as the polices PNC system has your details as a certificate holder. Carry an official form of ID so they can be sure you're the person the PNC is referring to.

If your renewal isn't ready by the time your FAC/SGC expires (or rather ring them a week before to see if its going to be ready or not), contact your FLD for a Section 7 certificate - see above.

Yes I saw that and requested it last time it was delayed by over a month but they did not comply , I also looked at your link and will mention

the details of that as I am not optimistic of getting it on time again .

all done and posted , wasn't sure about medical questions (apart from mental / depression bit ) so put my major complaints down , as they requested my old certificate I no longer have it to show officer if stopped so how do I stand there ?

There was no reason to send your current certificate! It's still valid you could perfectly reasonably buy/sell a gun except now you can't glad I'm in S Wales....