Spaniel tail docking

cockerspan

Funny looks are irrelevant if he does his job.

Depending on the cover there is a good possibility his tail will be a problem and be damaged. If it gets damaged keep a very careful eye on it, infection and amputation could cost you £££

Labrardors - different dogs, different job, different tail action, sturdier tail structure and hence no historic problems so no need to dock.

Sorry if its ben covered before but ive got a cocker with full tale, will I get any funny looks when I take him beating? Also will his tail cause probs? Why dont labradors have docked tails?

Traditionally labradors aren't expected to go crashing though cover like ESS and CS. Who gives a toot if you get funny looks, if your dogs trained, behaves and works well that all that matters really.

I bought a Goldie and people think I'm stupid for it, so what.

Traditionally labradors aren't expected to go crashing though cover like ESS and CS. Who gives a toot if you get funny looks, if your dogs trained, behaves and works well that all that matters really.

I bought a Goldie and people think I'm stupid for it, so what.

Credit to you for Geting a goldie 😃😀

Best dogs out there in my opinion so I don't think your stupid at all

There just different

All the best

Of

My cocker too, has a full tail. She's 6 and luckily hasn't had any problems. She hits those brambles pretty hard too.

As for the funny looks. Who cares? I get more funny looks when I'm screaming for her to come back!

Slightly off topic, but I get more problems with the bloomin dew claws they never removed, she's always breaking them. We'd rehomed ours, but will certainly make sure the next dog doesn't have dew claws and has its tail docked.

All the best.

Hayden

Our Springer isn't docked as we didn't get him till he was 2.5years old and has been purely a pet prior to us having him. We discussed with our Vet who goes shooting about his tail and it will be left as it is unless he damages it. So far he has been fine. The setter is not docked either and their tail is much like a spanials.

Funny looks are irrelevant if he does his job.

Depending on the cover there is a good possibility his tail will be a problem and be damaged. If it gets damaged keep a very careful eye on it, infection and amputation could cost you £££

Labrardors - different dogs, different job, different tail action, sturdier tail structure and hence no historic problems so no need to dock.

+1

It cost me £150 to have my adult bitch's tail docked and it healed quickly and cleanly. HOWEVER you have to be choosy about your vet. If it ain't broke though no need to fix it!

+1

It cost me £150 to have my adult bitch's tail docked and it healed quickly and cleanly. HOWEVER you have to be choosy about your vet. If it ain't broke though no need to fix it!

Stick another nothing on the end and you're closer to the cost of my mates cocker's amputation, infection, second amputation and two weeks hospitalised in vet.

My Cocker has his tail. He works the bushes every day out walking.

He is 18 months old and mad for it. So far no problems.

However I think he is more likely too damage his tail at home

on the furniture when he gets very excited.

My daughter wanted one with its tail. That wasn't easy too find.

I reckon 95 percent get docked.

He also has his dew claws with no problems so far.

I do keep a close eye on him after walks and working.

It would actually be against the law to dock the dog as an adult without a genuine medical reason. We can't just chop bits off dogs for the hell of it.

Most dogs will get away and not suffer tail injuries. Clipping long feathering helps.

By far the biggest group of dogs we see damaged tails in are Labrador's.

£150 is stupidly cheap for an adult tail dock under anaesthetic.

It would actually be against the law to dock the dog as an adult without a genuine medical reason. We can't just chop bits off dogs for the hell of it.

Most dogs will get away and not suffer tail injuries. Clipping long feathering helps.

By far the biggest group of dogs we see damaged tails in are Labrador's.

£150 is stupidly cheap for an adult tail dock under anaesthetic.

not stupidly cheap, un stupidly fair I'd say!

• 3 weeks later...