Another couple !

fenboy

I decided on a evening flight this week as the tides were more suitable.

I got down the marsh fairly early but not early enough to get the spot I had planned to shoot .

So I quickly decided on a plan B and went out from where I had seen some pinks crossing the sea wall last time I did a evening flight , a fair walk to the spot but only 60 meters or so out on the marsh itself.

There has been quite a few duck about of late so I loaded up with some 3s and waited for some to start moving , nothing doing not a duck to be seen or indeed heard .

I heard a few shots from the area I had planned to shoot but still nothing for me.

It was now getting fairly late and I could hear a few geese coming back to the marsh , so I swapped the cartridges for some 42g BBs in hope that I would get a chance .

A few minutes later I could hear some talking somewhere out the back of me , a small skein of about 25 -30 , I gave them a little call and it just swung them in my favour , they came straight overhead , I thought to myself they looked a little high but decided to have a shot at the last goose in the skein , I was rewarded with it completely folding and crashing down with a almighty thud behind me , Milo my lab had seen it drop and was soon back with it .

Another first for me , my first evening flight pink !

The light was nearly gone now and a fowler who had walked past me came past again , he said it was getting too late for him as he had no dog .

I invited him to sit with me for the last 10 mins of light as I could send the dog if he shot anything .

Within 10 mins another skein a little bigger than the first came on the right line , if anything these were even higher than the first lot but buoyed by my earlier success I again picked out the final goose swung through well in front and fired , the result was a repeat of the first , a goose stone dead in the air landing behind me with a massive thud on the marsh and another simple retrieve for the dog , it was one of those shots that it is nice to have someone witness !

DSC_0135_zps075b4e39.jpg

Edited by fenboy

You're having a great season fenboy and well done. You are obviously doing something right, keep it up and people will be pleased to be guided by you.

Thank you , this season has far outweighed my expectations , even if I do not fire another shot before the end of it.

At this rate you will be guiding the guides " Fenboy " and Sutton Bridge will soon be putting up the [ No Vacancies ] sign up to the hordes of wildfowlers wanting to come out with you for a flight ..........Is it still a £1.00 a flight ? or have it gone up now :lol:

:lol: As you are an OAP marsh man you would now qualify for the concessionary rate of 50p.

I think even then you would be likely to ask for your money back at the end of the flight !

The decent season I am having is pretty much down to luck , but as the saying goes the more I go the luckier I get.

Your doing well " Fenboy " and your Pintail and White Front might soon be heading your way with your name and address on its wings.

Luck do pay a part in wildfowling as it do in most sports , but you have to be there and put the shot in the right place , if you don't go and cant hit em at the height you shot yours at , then somebody else would need a miracle rather than rely on luck. So keep up the good work Fenboy and I am sure your wish list will be getting shorter before long .

Well done fenboy.

What the other wildfowler was doing on the marsh without a dog I cannot imagine.

There are a few that manage it quite successfully , as as Birdsallpl says they just have to think about where they are shooting and how they are shooting , if they do not push the range to try and insure clean kills and are not shooting over water they have a reasonable chance of picking what they shoot, this chap knew his limitations and that is why he was leaving the marsh as it would have been to dark for him to have picked anything he shot, if it was a morning flight you could well have a few hours to be looking if needed.

His reason for not having a dog was his son has emigrated and he spends a lot of time abroad.

There are a few that manage it quite successfully , as as Birdsallpl says they just have to think about where they are shooting and how they are shooting , if they do not push the range to try and insure clean kills and are not shooting over water they have a reasonable chance of picking what they shoot, this chap knew his limitations and that is why he was leaving the marsh as it would have been to dark for him to have picked anything he shot, if it was a morning flight you could well have a few hours to be looking if needed.

His reason for not having a dog was his son has emigrated and he spends a lot of time abroad.

nicely put Iv shot sheps for 15 yrs never had a dog and I leave very few un picked (if any)

good shooting mate you are putting a few in the bag of late keep it up :good:

There are a few who shoot without a dog. UK fowler could do with a big powerful dog to help him drag out sinking fowlers in winkle run! Well done mate. I know one guy who's shot the wash for many years who is very good at what he does and don't lose many birds and is prepared to get wet now and again. Personally I have a dog but realise their value but I have seen seen some idiots with a dog who still insist on standing up with head torches on all the flight looking for a goose. So even if you have a dog it don't mean it's any good and can have the opposite affect. Well done fenboy I'm coming to sit near you rather than the other way round.

There are a few who shoot without a dog. UK fowler could do with a big powerful dog to help him drag out sinking fowlers in winkle run! Well done mate. I know one guy who's shot the wash for many years who is very good at what he does and don't lose many birds and is prepared to get wet now and again. Personally I have a dog but realise their value but I have seen seen some idiots with a dog who still insist on standing up with head torches on all the flight looking for a goose. So even if you have a dog it don't mean it's any good and can have the opposite affect. Well done fenboy I'm coming to sit near you rather than the other way round.

mate it took me ages to train the dog to **** on your feet to keep you away :lol:

more like a pit pony to pull him out lol the hole is still there up to his knackers the lad was