Wildfowling Without A Dog

marsh man

Reading " Fenboys " last post , the subject came up about fowling without a dog and the people who do have there own reasons for not owning one or being able to keep one . In my case I haven't been without a dog for the last 40 odd years and my type of shooting is the same as a lot of other fowlers on here , shooting on or near rivers , marshes intercepted by dykes and being out in the dark or very poor light , and weather its just me but a lot of the fowl I shoot need to be retrieved by a dog , we cant all kill cleanly what we fire at or drop them where they can be picked up on dry land and most of the people I know are the same.

I know there will be people claim they only fire at birds they can retrieve and lose very little and I am not saying they don't , but I would say in wildfowling my dog is more important to me than the gun and without one my fowling days would have ended years ago .

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too would not want to be without one , the limits it would put on your shooting must mean you have far less chances of putting something in the bag, and that is difficult enough even with a dog.

but on most occasions there will be someone down the marsh with a dog or two if someone is having trouble picking a bird and they are normally only too pleased to help.

I dont think you can ethicaly shoot live quarry without a dog, even pigeon shooting over stubble they can fly still fly on a fair distance and dissapear into a thick hedge bottom with no chance of getting them.

Anyway this subject has been done to death on this forum and as you would expect those without dogs will always say they are careful what they shoot at and never wound anything (all the usual nonsense).Whilst those with dogs will say they are essential.

It all comes down to the individuals ethics really if they have any or not (a bit like a dog )

I dont think you can ethicaly shoot live quarry without a dog, even pigeon shooting over stubble they can fly still fly on a fair distance and dissapear into a thick hedge bottom with no chance of getting them.

Anyway this subject has been done to death on this forum and as you would expect those without dogs will always say they are careful what they shoot at and never wound anything (all the usual nonsense).Whilst those with dogs will say they are essential.

It all comes down to the individuals ethics really if they have any or not (a bit like a dog )

I would not go as far as to say it is not ethical to shoot without one , yes you will get some pricked birds fly on when pigeon shooting but even the best dog will not find those that go a good distance .

If there are trees nearby a look underneath can soon add a few to the bag .

Not ethical to me is the wasting of birds because you cannot be bothered to pick them or when you drop them in a area you know you will not be able to recover them.

like I said before I shoot without a dog and it does put a lot of restrictions on my marsh shooting evening flights cut short no moon flights I shoot late tides and always on the edge of the green so birds can be seen on the mud and picked I have shooting pals who I pair up with if need be who have dogs there have been many times I have let the tide drop back on sheps to pick birds even if it means coming of well after mid day

like I said before I shoot without a dog and it does put a lot of restrictions on my marsh shooting evening flights cut short no moon flights I shoot late tides and always on the edge of the green so birds can be seen on the mud and picked I have shooting pals who I pair up with if need be who have dogs there have been many times I have let the tide drop back on sheps to pick birds even if it means coming of well after mid day

Being a very keen fowler is there a particular reason you do not have a dog ?

I returned to shooting after a 15 year break I stopped due personal reasons, when I got the bug again the first thing I did before applying for a s.g.c was to go out and buy a lab puppy. I now shoot a large reserve on a regular basis and would estimate 30% of members shoot without a dog this includes shooting over decoys, it is accepted in the rules that you can shoot without a dog as long as you don’t shoot birds where they cannot be retrieved, this is a bit baffling as on a night flight most birds land where they cannot be seen, also you are sometimes unsure if a bird was hit or not when it wizzes by. so how do you find them without a dog, as the rules also state you must only use a dim light to find your way off, not a lamp to go look for shot birds there by disturbing birds going to roost, I understand the reasons for not having a dog I now have 4 and they are tying however I myself would not want to shoot wild fowl without a dog I do try to help pick birds for others near me, however how many get left?

If it ain't against the law everyone is responsible to their own conscience for their own conduct, there are too many people in this world who wish to force their own idea of moral standards on others!

If someone wants to shoot without a dog that's their business!

Evidence the WWT, RSPB and RSPCA!!! Who are trying to force their own misguided (to me!) and questionable ideas, motives and morals on society in general and shooting in particular.

If it ain't against the law everyone is responsible to their own conscience for their own conduct, there are too many people in this world who wish to force their own idea of moral standards on others!

If someone wants to shoot without a dog that's their business!

Evidence the WWT, RSPB and RSPCA!!! Who are trying to force their own misguided (to me!) and questionable ideas, motives and morals on society in general and shooting in particular.

Completely agree with this posting , if people wish to shoot without a dog and their conscience sees no problem with leaving crippled birds to die a slow lingering death from gangrene or starvation then it is up to them ,"after all its not illegal is it "

Completely agree with this posting , if people wish to shoot without a dog and their conscience sees no problem with leaving crippled birds to die a slow lingering death from gangrene or starvation then it is up to them ,"after all its not illegal is it "

That's it take a lesson from our enemies and chuck the spurious emotional arguements in, after all that is what the RSPB, RSPCA et al do!!

You need a snickers !

Great post topic as I am going to venturing into Wildfowling,I asked this very question a few days ago as I felt It would be frowned upon if I shot without a dog or at least didn't team up with someone who did. I am not going to jump into this form of shooting without gaining some insight first.I want to get the dog first,then spend a year training it as well as learning the calls and flight patterns of legal quarry myself.Have had some great advise from 2 members who shoot Lindusfarne and been told to get up there and just watch and learn.

The dog issue seems,as others have said to be probably the most important price of kit.I will follow this post with interest .I am fascinated with the wildfowlers,their knowledge is way beyond normal forms of shooting.Being able to identify species is poor light and knowledge of estuaries and tides ect,fascinating.

Edited by Davyo

Great post topic as I am going to venturing into Wildfowling,I asked this very question a few days ago as I felt It would be frowned upon if I shot without a dog or at least didn't team up with someone who did. I am not going to jump into this form of shooting without gaining some insight first.I want to get the dog first,then spend a year training it as well as learning the calls and flight patterns of legal quarry myself.Have had some great advise from 2 members who shoot Lindusfarne and been told to get up there and just watch and learn.

The dog issue seems,as others have said to be probably the most important price of kit.I will follow this post with interest .I am fascinated with the wildfowlers,their knowledge is way beyond normal forms of shooting.Being able to identify species is poor light and knowledge of estuaries and tides ect,fascinating.

+1

That's it take a lesson from our enemies and chuck the spurious emotional arguements in, after all that is what the RSPB, RSPCA et al do!!

Spurious emotional arguement ? ... I have just completely agreed with your post, its up to the individual . All i have done is highlight why most responsible shooters choose to take a dog.Davyo good on you at least try to team up with someone who has a dog .

Like i said at the start those without dogs will give their own opinion and its usually that they are careful ,try not to wound ,only shoot over land etc .

At the end of the day at your own discretion is the bottom line.