Getting Decoying Again

TACDAVE

Hi Guys

Apologies if I`m covering old ground but would like to ask the advise of the members.

I used to decoy Pigeons around 15 years ago across 800 acres of mixed arable land, had varying success but by no means the bag sizes I've seen posted. All I had was a collection of a dozen pigeon shells, hide made in the hedgerow and that was it! Work commitments and children basically put a stop to the shooting until now.

I've got the opportunity next year to start pigeon shooting again over various locations. It has become obvious from my research on the net that there`s a host of various different gadgets to assist in attracting the birds.

My question is what should I buy? Still got my dozen shells (that's it) - what would be a good starting point in relation to the kit I need to start again, but take advantage of the various equipment available?

Reckon I`ve got around £300 to spend at the moment . Any advise would be greatly received.

cheers

For £300.00.................if you dont have to buy a gun ...then thats a fair bit to send...........get yourself a lightweight net and extendable poles....you have the decoys...a doz is plenty....and maybe a flapper to introduce some movement..............

the rest is fieldwork............reccy...etc

best of luck and welcome

Cheers Guys that's good advise - still got the gun thankfully

Used to shoot gamebore 32gram 6`s what's the cartridge of choice nowadays ?

its down to personal choice................32gm i would use for flightlining.............if you are decoying....the idea is to get them close......15-35yds........28gm 6's or 7's......if you are shooting hard an fast close quarters...you can go even lighter...

the next question you will be asking is ..."are my chokes for this ok ?"

4 telescopic poles

1 or 2 stealth nets

1 pigeon magnet

1turbo flapper

and another 6 shell decoys,fuds,prodecoys whichever you prefer to add to the 12 you have

8 cradles homemade or bought to lift dead birds above medium high crops

that's pretty much my kit and covers everything I need

I would say it is handy to have even more.

I always carry eight poles but in a standard hides position with a hedge behind I use five. My hide has a point on it to make raising the gun easier.

Never having successfully erected a field hide I have rarely used all eight poles.

If you are a hobby maniac (like me) you can go on and on. Plenty of gear out there to moisture your need to collect buds. But as Basic to get you going, what you have already been advised sounds good to me. As some has said definitly 5 poles. From my own perspective I have just bought an electric buggy to carry it all. Oh yea and of course a 4x4 with mud tyres. LOL

I take 6.....Five to make the hide with a point on (including field hide) I walk out around 15/18 yards empty the bag and throw the decoys out in a couple of areas, then use the sixth pole to flip them up right....

I do this because in the past I have looked back at the pattern and every thing was in straight lines.....It is so easy to follow a tram line and plop decoys down.....then they look like a row of prize winning carrots from an allotment.......

TEH

I always carry eight poles as if it's very windy you need more to keep the net clear. When I photograph the the bag I'm able to lay them out in straight lines, when I set up the decoys I never have them all in one direction always have one or two wrong way to wind. if you watch a flock in a park or a grass field they are never in straight lines.

Agreed on what the others have said. A couple of things nobody has mentioned that I find useful -

- A waterproof plastic box with a carry handle for my cartridges, because who doesn't like getting a box of carts out of a slab only to find the rain has soaked the bottom of the box of 25 making it soggy and brittle. Nothing says success like showering floor of your hide in cartridges you have to painstakingly wipe the mud off!

- A waterproof gun slip - not so much to keep the gun dry, if it's looked after a bit of rain wont hurt, but putting it in a soggy slip might if you leave it in there any length of time. Plus it's great for fowling.

- A really decent flask - an anticipated cup of coffee turning out to be cold is rubbish.

- A fine mesh net (a catch keeping net from a fishing shop for example) to keep flies from your birds in the summer.

- A packet of wet wipes, because blood can take the blueing off your barrels and grit is never good for shotguns, so I like to clean my hands after setting up fresh shot birds on cradles etc.

- And most importantly, don't forget your ear protection! I use moulded passive plugs from Cens. By far and away the best bit of shooting kit I've ever picked up, plus no electric gubbins to worry about getting wet. Get them made in a bright colour (mine are a fetching neon orange) so that if you drop one you will be able to find it again! Aid2hearing did the moulds for me, lovely lady and very professional.

Edited by Zechk

8 hide poles (Pinewood probably the best out there, and that's enough for every situation) £110

2 nets ('2 ply stealth' are my preferred choice) £60

Comfy seat (Bergara sold here on forum is excellent) £70

Dozen decoys (I like Flocked shells or FUDS, then add/replace with shot birds) £30

Pigeon magnet/battery/speed controller (loads out there to suit every pocket) £110

Priced up roughly at £80 over your budget but all good quality. Loads of cheaper variants for all the above available, but having gone down that route when I started and bought all over again I'd say the investment is worth while if at all possible. If I had the same budget and couldn't go more, I'd probably buy the same but exclude 4 hide poles and a net to start with.

I only wish that was all the gear we took on a days decoying, but that is the basics; Again, just my personal opinion.

Cos

Edited by Cosd