.177 target backstop.whats needed?

kapow

I intend to use a. 177 rifle in my garden to practice at targets.i would say this is a minimum 25y.

In the area available I can set aside a 3x3 metre section to make a backstop.this is from ground height.behind this area is a wooden fence adjoinning heighbour.

I have no idea on laws or requirements.i realise a steel plate would be ideal but sourcing that would be hard.my next thought was stacked sand bags and in the central area where target would be a smaller plate,perhaps 2foot sq. Although I would hope the target pellet catcher would be enough.but I suppose a plate would be ok for a wayward shhot.

Any advise would be great especially on law ect.

Thanks

The only thing in law is that you must not allow a pellet to leave the boundaries of the land.

In the past, I've built a 'shelter' out of 2ft*2ft paving slabs - so 2 sides, a back and a roof. Put some sandbags or earth to hold the sides and back in place, and a couple of sandbags inside as a backstop.

Large cardboard box filled with carpet or old phonebooks will do.anything thats dense will do the trick.I made a 5 sided box from 2foot square 18mm plywood sheets and stacked sandbags full of soil in the back of it and its lasted years.i hang the targets from wire.if you dont wanna fill the box put a steel target holder inside it.any flyer will just stick into the ply.youll be ok with whatever you use as long as the pellet doesnt leave your boundry.ATB

If its an air rifle you refer to, a wet blanket should do the job.

However,if its the mighty .17HMR,now thats a different kettle of fish. You need something like the front end of a Challenger tank for that.

You'd have to replace it every five shots though....

The only thing in law is that you must not allow a pellet to leave the boundaries of the land.

In the past, I've built a 'shelter' out of 2ft*2ft paving slabs - so 2 sides, a back and a roof. Put some sandbags or earth to hold the sides and back in place, and a couple of sandbags inside as a backstop.

This is the best method , if you can get some old lead flashing and line the back with that it makes a excellent noise reducer , the bonus is it collects your pellets and can be weighed in once it needs replacing !

Avoid metal back stops they are noisy and avoid wood as it can produce ricochets