keeping warm in the hide

fieldwanderer

you should be warm from the start after lugging your gear 200 or so yards across a muddy field with wellies and warm clothing on, also if birds are decoying well and your shooting a bird every 5 mins or so and picking them yourself you should be naturally warm with picking them and setting them up, if your getting really cold sitting there or standing there maybe it wasn't worth setting up for in the first place or you have stayed to long on a non promising situation just a look at it from another angle

Edited by yickdaz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the last few years I have used base layer stuff from Aldi, their cycling, running, skiing and golf underclothing is cheap but good quality. Over that a midlayer fleece, then ex army Norgee shirt and then Goretex type top coat. The trousers are either Snowbee or Seeland waterproof trousers (Not overtrousers). Boots 4mm neoprene or in frosty conditions, ankle boots and gaiters. Leave the 2 top layers off until set up, then replace them one at a time as you cool down.

you should be warm from the start after lugging your gear 200 or so yards across a muddy field with wellies and warm clothing on, also if birds are decoying well and your shooting a bird every 5 mins or so and picking them yourself you should be naturally warm with picking them and setting them up, if your getting really cold sitting there or standing there maybe it wasn't worth setting up for in the first place or you have stayed to long on a non promising situation just a look at it from another angle

Or the Pub window !

For the last few years I have used base layer stuff from Aldi, their cycling, running, skiing and golf underclothing is cheap but good quality. Over that a midlayer fleece, then ex army Norgee shirt and then Goretex type top coat. The trousers are either Snowbee or Seeland waterproof trousers (Not overtrousers). Boots 4mm neoprene or in frosty conditions, ankle boots and gaiters. Leave the 2 top layers off until set up, then replace them one at a time as you cool down.

Or the Pub window !

they sell some decent gear they do to be honest

no bud from a pigeon hide !

Edited by yickdaz

You're absolutely right, the bad bit about being a patient man and an optimist I suppose.

The thing that really chills you is a cold wind, as well as wrapping up fairly well i got some camo windproof material, it comes on a roll at about £4 a metre x 1.5 mtr high. i got three metres and got the wife to sew a tube at each end and one in the middle. sliding poles in and wrapping it around the inside of your hide poles before putting the netting on, it makes a fantastic windbreak. My wife calls it a fireguard and the name has stuck, i use it whenever its draughty .

I was out on saturday on drilled barley, Very cold! so I took my Zippo hand warmer which was full of fuel, got it going, then decided I can't hold this thing and shoot so I put it down my top! was like having a mobile radiator! :good:

Its the way to go.

I had a Peacock hand warmer last winter but the catalyst broke down and the replacements were never as good. I have just ordered this which at 4400 Mah should be good. I will let you know.

I shoot lots through winter, at least a couple of times a week. I have all the layers on but eventually the cold gets through. I sit with my hands in my pockets which will mean i miss a few birds and put a lot of effort into moving my toes.

Wear a German army Tank suit Inner,Full bodied and quilted under my gear.Also when the weather is a bit milder,I wear a German army Flectarn parka with the quilted inner liner underneath.The liner zips right up to your nose.Brilliant bit of kit and very cheap to,cost me under £30 for off of Amazon.

atb

Den

I am sure some of the 'old hands' of Shooting Times fame adapted a metal oil drum or was it a large terracotta pot with a candle inside as a central heated seat. Again one of the warmest garments I have ever owned is a 'Buffalo ' Mountain Shirt just a pity mine is not a colour suitable for shooting from a hide.

Blackpowder

Wear a German army Tank suit Inner,Full bodied and quilted under my gear.Also when the weather is a bit milder,I wear a German army Flectarn parka with the quilted inner liner underneath.The liner zips right up to your nose.Brilliant bit of kit and very cheap to,cost me under £30 for off of Amazon.

atb

Den

Thanks for the heads up on the German army quilted tank suit. Looks great and costs so little! Ordered off Ebay and looking forward to trying it out :)

Thanks for the heads up on the German army quilted tank suit. Looks great and costs so little! Ordered off Ebay and looking forward to trying it out :)

No problems worn mine last three outings in the frost.Warm as toast,good bit of kit and cheap as well.

atb

Den

I think it was one of those highly paid survival guys RAY GRYLLS ... I think..... that said there was no excuse for being cold ...just bad choices of clothes ..... I'm sure he's right .... But I've spent a fortune on thermals and super socks , skeetex boots and deer hunter jackets and some days I still get so cold that I have to convince my self to stay .....

I even wore my wife's tights once .... She caught me and I told her that they were used to keep me warm ....I don't think she believed me as I was just cleaning my gun ....... And it was June .....lol

I think it was one of those highly paid survival guys RAY GRYLLS ... I think..... that said there was no excuse for being cold ...just bad choices of clothes

I'm sure that's right, unless you're sat doing nothing :/ and, of course, there's a limit to how much we can wear and still be effective.

I'm a trained mountain leader, keen hill walker and mountaineer so I've been using the layering system for years and, like you, I've spent a small fortune on gear. In any outdoor situation if you're inactive, insulation will help but not for very long really.

I have a pair of ski trousers which are warm, warm, warm. My elecric socks and gloves are too warm, until the cells get exhausted. I reckon they need wiring, rather than being battery operated (they are a pain to turn on and off). Li-ion ones would be better than the old D cells, for sure.

So, for feet it is leccy socks, wellie socks and wellies - or two pairs of socks in my Canadian Tyre boots; legs and backside is long johns trousers and ski trousers; up to shoulders is thermals and sufficient thin layers, some with sleeves; hands are my Canadian heated gloves over thin shooting gloves (rarely need any heat); neck and head are well covered with a scarf and ear flaps on my hat. Coat can be thin as long as it is waterproof or stops the wind.

I cannot afford getting cold these days, due to ticker problems. One glove is removed to fire the gun.

This lot is OK for in a hive, but I'm not going to be walking far, these days. The Canadians know a bit about keeping warm!

RAB

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was one of those highly paid survival guys RAY GRYLLS ... I think..... that said there was no excuse for being cold ...just bad choices of clothes ..... I'm sure he's right .... But I've spent a fortune on thermals and super socks , skeetex boots and deer hunter jackets and some days I still get so cold that I have to convince my self to stay .....

I even wore my wife's tights once .... She caught me and I told her that they were used to keep me warm ....I don't think she believed me as I was just cleaning my gun ....... And it was June .....lol

I bet they gave you that warm feeling :lol:

Yep woolfusionl socks for me i use bridgedale trekker from millets expensive about £15 a pair but well worth not getting cold feet .im a mechanic and stand on cold concrete floors with doors open and no heating and have done this for over 25 years , always used to wear two pairs of socks but that didnt work i tried these socks about two years ago when i developed severe chilblains , chilblains recovered within a few weeks. they are that good i have several pairs and bought them for the wife and three kids i wear them all year round and have been to eqypt for xmas and wore them there as well seem to keep your feet cool in summer too.

As for layering up as said before that i have been battling the cold for years ,after buying the socks and having warm feet i was now on a mission to find things to keep my body warm ,after asking around i was advised that skins base layer were the way forward i think rugby players/joggers use them. i purchased a make called under armour again after wearing these i have cut down on the amount of layers worn at work and while out hunting or in the hide ,

Try them i will guarantee you wont go back , been there bought and worn the several t shirts :-)

Phil

It was Billy Connolly who said there is no such thing as bad weather but there is such a thing as wrong clothes.... or something very similar.

I suggest a sandwich to keep you warm

Sit in between Michelle Pfeiffer and Gwyneth Paltrow, they will keep you warm :yes:

Sit in between Michelle Pfeiffer and Gwyneth Paltrow, they will keep you warm :yes:

:drool: Can't see many pigeons getting shot that way, I'd rather do the above but somewhere a bit warmer :D

Got a tanksuit liner ordered, gonna try longjohns and tracksuit bottoms under that, baselayer top t-shirt and jumper up top with camo trousers, fleece and camo jacket over that. If that's not enough, I think it's time to give the pigeons a break :wacko:

After all these years of freezing feet,i have invested in a decent pair of neoprene wellies,so warm now.

Have one of those hats with flaps that's all padded,which I then put the snood over the top to keep wind out,then its just fleece with jack pike jacket and one of those lighter fluid hand warmers,just have normal shooting trousers on as cant stand getting to hot so never wear the bottom part of the jack pike suit.

Still not got a decent pair of gloves,they either to bulky,get wet or freezing cold.

Personally I think the layer system works really well, every time were on exercise in some god forsaken cold part of the world I make sure to take a set of cold weather clothes, and its always kept me nice and warm, even if its 35 days out in the cold. Thermal Layer (Under armour IR works well) a nice warm t shirt (can get the new issued british army t shirts from ebay, their pretty cheap and quite thick), a fleece (berghaus do some really good fleeces, that aren't too thick but still very good at keeping heat in. Then an outer layer, a nice windproof jacket, RAB and Snugpak do some excellent outer jackets that work well up to -15 degrees.

For your legs a nice pair of thermals and a good pair of bottoms work well, you can even get snugpak softie bottoms, that are like a little piece of heaven in the cold.

Wear a nice warm hat (again snugpak make a Hat called snugnut which is awesome at keeping you warm, even when its bitterly cold. Thermal socks and gloves help a lot, and ive found that GTX boots work great at keeping your feet warm, my Lowa Mountain GTX have kept my feet warm and dry throughout the time ive used them, and after 3 years of everyday use, they are still going strong.

Remember its your extremities that get cold first and start loosing blood to keep your inner core warm, so if your core is nice and toasty your extremities have a nice foundation to work on. Mammut make some nice gloves that keep my hands warm, and still allow me to use my shotgun/rifle with ease.

For those of you who still feel cold (especially hands) you can get reusable warm packs from places like GoOutdoors, that work a CHARM.

Hope this helps