Hanging pheasants

shootgun

hung...I am now of the opinion that a day or 2 max,the old macho hang 'em til the feathers fall out is rubbish,noone likes strong gamey(read nearly off) flavour anyway.I pluck & clean within 2 days typically. PS your room is too warm,if you leave it 5 days at 11.5 c you'll need your fishing gear to use up all the maggots......

How long to hang game. It depends upon where abouts the shot has penetrated the body and the temperature where they are hung. Soft muggy weather one day might be to much, mercury sitting at zero a week or more and you wont be eating rotten meat. No hard and fast rule its all down to circumstances and conditions.

Blackpowder

When I was a Game Dealer I processed game the day I picked it up from the shoot as the majority went to butchers who wanted them looking bright and appealing. They also pluck a great deal quicker, if a shoot wanted me to hang the birds for their own use, I would charge more as the longer they hang for, the more delicate they become. As has been stated, it depends on the weather if not in a chiller and a damp, muggy day spells curtains for the birds. Ducks turn quicker than pheasants but over all, it is the way the game is handled from the moment it is shot as that is when the heat needs to be dissipated. Give a new person to eating game a hung bird to eat and 9/10 will not want another!