Range Rover advice

stuart21

I am planning on buying a Range Rover vogue in January and was after some advice on things to look out for. I will be looking at 57/08 plates with less than 80k on the clock.

I sold my Disco 3 a few months ago to fund a house move and I am now ready to replace my £900 merc. I know there are some horror stories, but I just love them.

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keys losing codes, radio displays losing pixels, turbos on the diesel, injectors blocked, air suspension, some are starting to rot in very odd places, dpf around 2008 can be costly, make sure auto box been serviced or that can be costly. They can eat diff mount bushes mainly at back. And check all the wiring looks untampered with under bonnet as some previous may have had electrical gremlins. They are a lovely car though when there working. If you can afford to run the petrol models they are generally cheaper to buy and more reliable.

Iv got one and apart from maintaining cost the only thing I had was coolant level warning but it had the correct amount in. Turned out to be the header tank needed replacing.

My mates got the same thing and run it for two and a half years without spending a penny I had to talk him into servicing it, so don't listen to the horror stories about them.

Some are bad but get a low millage with history and you can't go wrong.

Maintaining cost are huge. So make sure it's had some and with receipts to prove.

Mine had receipts for 7.5 k in the 4 previous years

the air bags are not usually the problem...its the air compressor ....and that is an easy cheap fix

Along with the cracks in the bag due to lack of use. And the ride height sensors failing and the air line corroded or the ecu that manages the ride height failing due to a car cleaner steam cleaning the interior and the compressor is an easy fix provided landrover sell the same make as it's replacing and reprogramming ecu is a mare of a job.

the air bags are not usually the problem...its the air compressor ....and that is an easy cheap fix

sorry, vague statement really. I meant the system in its own right. Be it the compressor, level sensors, air bags etc. The bags do and can go. Compressor is an easy fix as is anything if you have either the funds, tools or inclination.

• 3 weeks later...

if you can afford to buy one and fuel it.. I assume you can afford to maintain it...if so I shouldn't worry about looking for problems...just kiss goodbye to your savings.. :lol: The money your going to be spending on it annually you could probably finance a new vehicle.

I had a 2.5 litre DSE for two years and it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever driven... It was a total money pit and there isn't enough disk space to list the problems I had with it. Hopefully the Indians have improved it since then then though :yes:

If you do buy one make sure its got full Main Dealer service history at the specified intervals.

Jeez, I hope it's not all doom and gloom.

I shoot with some guys who drive them and they have been fine, apart from the standard wear and tear. The model I have bought is in excellent condition, only 2 owners and full LR service history. I have also driven and viewed a few and this is by far the best example. From what I gather they have come on leaps and bounds since Ford and Tata have owned them, compared to the old land rover days. At the end of the day, they are very expensive new and cost a lot to maintain, which I am happy to live with.

I owned a disco 3 for nearly five years and it was a great car. For me, there is something about land rovers as I think they look and drive better than any other 4x4 out there.

Most negative comments about range rovers are normally people who can't afford one.

They speak for themselfs when you drive one, I drive a few different cars and getting out of a range rover and into most cars makes them feel shocking.

Every car has problems but people only talk about good cars with them

Mate has had nothing but bother, repairs stand at over £1500 over the last 12 months & he's had 2 months driving out of it....its still not right, best thing he can do is roll it into a ditch as he's gonna lose thousands on it.

The only problem with this is if he had not had any problems with it you would probably not say anything about it I am not getting at you but in general when people complain about something that they have going wrong we tend to remember it but if it goes as it should we tend to say nothing.

I have complained about my jeep quite a bit when things have gone wrong mostly stupid little things you could well think that I think that it is no good when in fact I love it.