Land Rover problem starting

palo

Hello Guys I have a Land Rover Disco TD5 on a 02 plate that has started to act up I have recently put in a new battery and replaced the battery's in the two key fobs and every few days it fails to start and if locked the key fob will not de mobiles it. I find if I disconnect the earth lead from the battery for a while it will start and last for a day or two until it decides to not start again, so I was wondering have any of you had this problem before ? thanks again.

Does it attempt to turn over, but fail? Or is there absolutely no life in it?

My old TD5 Defender went through a patch of not starting and it was the starter motor which was fouled/rusted. If you take the car through water, this is likely the cause

Edited by Billy.

I've just had starting issues with my 2002 uplift model Disco TD5. It always used to start instantly the key was turned, then it wouldn't and had to keep the key turned for some time before it eventually fired up. Garage thought it might've been the starter motor and put on a spare one, that didn't make any difference.

Unfortunately and as is ever thus it started perfectly whilst it was left at the garage.

They put in a fuel pump next and that didn't work either and the starting issue got worse to the stage where the engine just died whilst I was out one morning. I had it recovered to the garage and they replaced the injector seals and, touch wood, it's started instantly since.

No it does not make any attempt to start not a pick I changed the wiring loom and done the injectors last jan. If I have the immobilizer on doors locked it wont unlock and then I have to use the key to open it and the alarm goes off and the only way to stop it is pop the bonnet and pull the battery leads. and then it seems to right itself again for a while.

I'm not sure but is the immobilizer receiver in the roof space.does it have a sun roof an leaking water.(water ingress)

also if its a two button remote remove the batteries an hold both buttons on the remote down together for 30 sec

this should set the key fob..hope it helps.This may help

http://www.remotekey.co.uk/batteries/

Atb

Hello ditchman I don't know what key reformatting is?

if you have all the details for the car then take it to the dealer explain the problem...hand over the key ..they will stick it in a gizmo and feed the details in and it will re-format the key....think it is about £12 .oo..........what HAYBURN says is right....i had a hell of a lot of problems with my 02 disco when it was new...and one of the probs was the sensor in the roof space..........do the battery thing first....which is often the prob...if that dont work ...re-format the key....

Yeah sounds very much like a common fob / sync issue, sometimes this happens because the fob is out of range and pressed multiple times (ie in yer pocket), or because you use a spare fob which is otherwise not used often, or because the fob battery is in poor condition, pressing the unlock 4 times will re sync that fob with the locks opening on the forth attempt. Fobs losing there coding usually show some different symptoms.

I've just had starting issues with my 2002 uplift model Disco TD5. It always used to start instantly the key was turned, then it wouldn't and had to keep the key turned for some time before it eventually fired up. Garage thought it might've been the starter motor and put on a spare one, that didn't make any difference.

Unfortunately and as is ever thus it started perfectly whilst it was left at the garage.

They put in a fuel pump next and that didn't work either and the starting issue got worse to the stage where the engine just died whilst I was out one morning. I had it recovered to the garage and they replaced the injector seals and, touch wood, it's started instantly since.

Both the loom and injector seals should, imho, be done as part of a long term maintance schedule

Poor starting ( longer than normal cranking ) and a pump whirly noises are signs of injector seal fail, these are cheap and easy to replace, why your guys changed the very expensive pump first I just don't know!

Edited by Paul223

Both the loom and injector seals should, imho, be done as part of a long term maintance schedule

Poor starting ( longer than normal cranking ) and a pump whirly noises are signs of injector seal fail, these are cheap and easy to replace, why your guys changed the very expensive pump first I just don't know!

It was a quick try and I was on my way in under an hour to test it. When it didn't work they put the original fuel pump back in at no cost to me.

Yeah sounds very much like a common fob / sync issue, sometimes this happens because the fob is out of range and pressed multiple times (ie in yer pocket), or because you use a spare fob which is otherwise not used often, or because the fob battery is in poor condition, pressing the unlock 4 times will re sync that fob with the locks opening on the forth attempt. Fobs losing there coding usually show some different symptoms.

Thanks folks for all the reply's, will try Sync the fob in the morning also once I get it going will take it into dealer and get it plugged into computer. I hate when these things start on weekends when there is hunting to be done

Thanks folks for all the reply's, will try Sync the fob in the morning also once I get it going will take it into dealer and get it plugged into computer. I hate when these things start on weekends when there is hunting to be done

whilst there get the emergency access code from them and keep it safe because with that and the right method of input with the door lock you can bypass the immobiliser and alarm and use the door lock so you can still use the car until you get it sorted