Pochard

guy baxendale

I have had a long running bet with a mate as to which of us can be the first to bag every quarry species. Having managed to get nicely ahead of him i would like to keep it that way.

Pochard is still on the list for me…..barring a trip to Northern Ireland are they are targetable species anywhere else or just an occasional chance encounter?

Any help welcome.

Only ever shot a dozen all on the broads and never yet raised my gun to one on the foreshore , though a couple of mates have shot them on the Wash. I have never shot a ruddy duck and unlikely to do so now as they have almost been wiped out by DEFRA , but baged every other shootable quarry wildfowl species including both races of whitefront and bean geese ( before their protection ).

During spells of hard weather when the Broads froze over a lot of the diving duck came to the estuary for the open water which in included every duck that was on the list and quite a few that wasn't and going back over 50yrs ago apart from Shelduck very few were protected , or so we were led to believe and most of the old boys couldn't read or write so rules and regulations were far and few between , and with meat in short supply nothing they shot was wasted but how they made a meal out of some of them old Hard fowl I don't know. But they were very independent people and with no food banks and very little benefits any form of meat was very welcome .

Thanks all - sounds like the Washes are my best bet :good:

I shot my one and only pochard with Jules on the washes last season. Between us that day, we put five different duck species in the bag. I'm pretty sure I only have shoveller and goldeneye still to add to the list.

Golden Eye for me on the duck and Whitefront with the geese.

I shot my one and only pochard with Jules on the washes last season. Between us that day, we put five different duck species in the bag. I'm pretty sure I only have shoveller and goldeneye still to add to the list.

Best morning for me 7 drake pochard on the washes normally get a few each year, two guests have had ringed ones, once had a drake of every English species of duck in 15 days, and not long back from getting my drake Scaup in Northern Ireland just Whitefront, Black Cock, Sika and Red deer left. A mate and I had a species challenge last year I won 34 species to 33, it's surprising how many species we are lucky enough to hunt in the UK, he now has to buy dinner for me and my wife with wine of my choice at a restaurant anywhere in the uk, it was great fun and I would recommend it to anyone.

Best morning for me 7 drake pochard on the washes normally get a few each year, two guests have had ringed ones, once had a drake of every English species of duck in 15 days, and not long back from getting my drake Scaup in Northern Ireland just Whitefront, Black Cock, Sika and Red deer left. A mate and I had a species challenge last year I won 34 species to 33, it's surprising how many species we are lucky enough to hunt in the UK, he now has to buy dinner for me and my wife with wine of my choice at a restaurant anywhere in the uk, it was great fun and I would recommend it to anyone.

Where abouts on the washes mate,seems a bit quiet my end