Hi from Cheshire

The_Engineer

Hi all,

Thought I would introduce myself after reading the forum for the past 6 months or so:

Like many people I got into shooting by having air rifles as a boy. Early this year I was invited on a clay pigeon shoot at Cloudside by a friend and I thoroughly enjoyed using an o/u for the first time to hit a few of the clays. I went back with my old man a few times and decided to look into taking up the sport and getting my SCS, having been seriously bitten by the bug.

Before I applied for anything I went for a course of lessons with John at MIkley Hall Shooting School (FYI: excellent place, people and instruction) to get some better info and tuition/safety advice. I was a bit spoilt by John who had me shooting a Perazzi (usually) but I also got to shoot a Silver pig 1 and Browning.

I subsequently applied for my SCS, which after an interesting interview during which the Clerk (i.e. not a FAO) gave me lots of odd information about not putting the gun in my car in daylight and making sure my cabinet had to be covered at all times amongst other “advice”. I waited around 14 weeks for my SCS to arrive. Getting restless I went back for more lessons in between J

A few weeks ago I bought my first shotgun – a nice second hand Miroku Mk70 sporting from A Branthwaite’s in Cheadle. It fits well and it’s pretty enough for me to miss clays with. I intend to use it primarily for clays (sporting) and on occasion as a field gun, as and when I can.

Living in Northwich, Cheshire I have visited cloudside and Mickley Hall but am also looking to see what the Prospect target club in Warrington is like. If anyone knows of other grounds they would recommend that are local to me it would be greatly appreciated.

I will refrain from asking about snap caps, but I may ask some novice type questions in the future.

Thanks and I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Hi Welcome

I shoot at Manchester Clay Shooting (AKA Worsley). So I can recommend there

I have shot at Prospect, nice little ground 50 ESP across 5 covered stands and a rifle/archery range. Really nice people who run it.

A few grounds that have been recommended to me, but I haven't managed to get there yet are ,Catton Hall, Kingsley Moor, Oak edge and Garlands. Pop them in Google and see if they are within your range

I would also recommend Fauxdegla as mentioned

Edited by GazzerG

Hi Welcome

I shoot at Manchester Clay Shooting (AKA Worsley). So I can recommend there

I have shot at Prospect, nice little ground 50 ESP across 5 covered stands and a rifle/archery range. Really nice people who run it.

A few grounds that have been recommended to me, but I haven't managed to get there yet are ,Catton Hall, Kingsley Moor, Oak edge and Garlands. Pop them in Google and see if they are within your range

I would also recommend Fauxdegla as mentioned

Thanks for the reccomendations. I may try and visit prospect or Manchester this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...