District Councillor makes shocking comments re. Gamedealers death

tomov

We have just issued this press release and will be following up as detailed.

Simon.

BASC calls for resignation of North Yorkshire councillor over suicide comments

The UK’s largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation, (BASC) has called for the immediate resignation of an elected local councillor and animal rights extremist who posted comments on facebook mocking the suicide of a former soldier and game dealer. A further comment called for everyone who lawfully owns a gun and shoots live quarry to “kill themselves.”

The comments were made by Thomas Woodward, an elected council member of Ryedale District Council and Pickering Town Council in North Yorkshire. Commenting on facebook on a news report on an inquest into the suicide of Allan Ellis from Bacup, Lancashire, Councillor Woodward said “Best use of a gun I can think of.” A second comment said: “If you choose to own a gun and kill for pleasure, then it’s best you kill yourself.”

BASC’s chief executive Richard Ali said: “We are seeking the immediate resignation of this man from any elected office and a full apology to the family of Mr. Ellis for the distress he has caused. Mocking the suicide of anyone is absolutely unacceptable. Going further and stating that lawful gun owners should “kill themselves” is despicable behaviour. This man is not fit to hold a public office.”

“In a register of financial and other interests Councillor Woodward has declared himself to be a member of the League Against Cruel Sports and the Hunt Saboteurs Association. BASC is calling for the League Against Cruel Sports to distance itself from these comments from one of its members and to confirm they are a breach of the values of the organisation.”

BASC is contacting Ryedale District Council and Pickering Town Council to inform them of the facebook comments and to ask them to also publically distance themselves from Councillor Woodward’s comments and to take disciplinary action. BASC will also be contacting party group leaders on the council.

The comments were published on a facebook page run by the Hunt Saboteurs Association and littered with sick comments such as “one scumbag less”, “he deserved it” “he did the right thing” and “a true coward till the end”.

Richard Ali said “We know from past actions that animal rights extremists will stop at nothing in their misguided hatred of anyone involved in lawful shooting activities. These facebook comments and attacks show their true colours and will be roundly condemned.”

ENDS

For more information please call the BASC press office on 01244 573052

Comments can be viewed on facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/HuntSaboteursAssociation

Well done. I really hope that this 'person' will lose his councillor position.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just got in for lunch and checked to see I have an e-mail from Rydale Council. It thanks me for my e-mail regarding the comments made by the muppet in question and states that their Council Solicitor, a Mr Anthony Winsnip ( or something like that ) will get back to me with a response within 5 working days. :) Sorted.

Have just seen BASC's response also, so well done to them.

Edited by Scully

Good morning Mr R*******

Thank-you for your message.

I have forwarded your comments to Anthony Winship, Council Solicitor who will respond within five working days though more time may be required in some cases.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us on the details below,

Kind regards

Paul Haworth
Business Improvement
T:01653 600666 Ext: 280
E: paul.haworth@ryedale.gov.uk

Have just listened to the link of him being interviewed by Minster FM. His increasingly desperate backtracking was a joy to listen to, reminding us all of the old adage 'when you're in a hole, stop digging'. It got to the point where he was blaming BASC for his comments making it into the public domain ! Brilliant. He was squirming like an impaled worm on a line. :yes:

Edited by Scully