Let's Help the Irish overcome a possible gun ban...

Steppenwolf

I post this exact post form another forum:

"

I know there are a good few UK gun owners who have second residences in Sthn Ireland or come over regularly to go shooting over here so this might be important to them to read this.

http://www.sportscoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/DOJ-Garda-Working-Group-Firearm-Licensing-report-2014.pdf

In short this a gun grab that would prohibit ,semi auto rifles,pump and semi shotguns and handguns of all types bar approved "olympic style" pistols[whatever they are!!]
Worse is a corrupt police force wanting more arbitary powers to declare areas "high crime areas" and rescind or refuse to lisense any firearms in the district!

The ROI at the moment is suffering serious police cutbacks and closures of rural police stations and corospondingly a higher amount of rural crime. IOW disarm the pouplation and maybe in a day or three we might get around to pick up the bits as we cant protect you ,and don't want you taking the law into your own hands.

We sure would appreciate your folks help in the UK as you have had the mirror effect of such policies since Dunblane and Hungerford.
Come over to www.sportscoalition.org and sign the online petition and feel free to put in a submission too before Jan 31st 2015.
Thanks
Grizzly45"
Basically the proposal is to ban centrefire handguns in Ireland, centrefire rifles and SHOTGUNS which would mean that Ireland would unfortunately have the dubious title of having worse gun laws than the UK. However if you sign that petition we might be able to help our Irish friends in this matter.

All based on the fear and in the hope of preventing something which might happen. It's a slippery slope we're now travelling.

Once more neatly overlooking the fact that an 'atrocity' can, and indeed was, committed with two of the most common firearms in usage, and which this proposed legislation does not include. :hmm:

I think it does spandit. Now more than ever we are seeing shooting associations set-up worldwide which cross over geographical regions and national boundaries.I envisage the future where a global organisation will protect gun rights and right to bear arms globally. Like a pro gun UN. We can call it GUN, I know my bad, lol.

I was however serious about the worldwide pro-gun group.

Yes steppenwolf A global organisation with real power would be a god send for shooting.shooters need to stand together no matter where in the world we are.there WILL be a day when we in the uk have some sort of desperate petition going and would be thankfull of any support from anywhere when every signature counts.

Whilst I have sympathy with the Southern Irish shooters, it is not our country. I fail to see why anyone in government office in Eire would take the slightest bit of notice of our opinion.

How would UK shooters feel if, for example, the French started signing petitions to ban guns in the UK? Are signatures from abroad acceptable - so long as they vote the way we want?

It is not a simple subject.

Whilst I have sympathy with the Southern Irish shooters, it is not our country. I fail to see why anyone in government office in Eire would take the slightest bit of notice of our opinion.

How would UK shooters feel if, for example, the French started signing petitions to ban guns in the UK? Are signatures from abroad acceptable - so long as they vote the way we want?

It is not a simple subject.

Read my post above. I forsee the future when national boundaries will not limit us on organization for gun rights. It is one thing to make a poll or petition or organization it is quite another to vote in an official election in another country. I think you are confusing issues.

Gordon if everybody had your viewpoint then Germany would have probably won the war. What about ebola? It's not in our country so we shouldn't bother getting involved? Better to vote and find out that your vote didn't count, than not vote and find out it would have counted. You either vote or you don't. It's really rather simple.

Signed. Some reading from 2009. enough to send shivers down any shooters back. A ban on ‘practical shooting’ (a self styled extreme shooting activity). ???

Dermot Ahern Announces Introduction of Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 Act to introduce tough Gun Control Regime

Mr. Dermot Ahern, T.D., Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, has announced the signing into law of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009.

Minister Ahern said: "This Act is about halting the emergence of a gun-culture in Ireland. Experience in other countries shows us that any relaxation of controls on gun ownership or registration very quickly results in dramatic growth in firearms with many longer term negative downstream consequences. I will not allow that happen on my watch."

The Act introduces the most far-reaching gun control measures since the foundation of the state including:
· A ban on handguns.
· A ban on ‘practical shooting’ (a self styled extreme shooting activity).
· Ministerial powers to prohibit particular firearms or categories of firearms in a precise manner.
· A requirement for referees, background medical checks and standards for the safe keeping of guns in the home for all firearms licence applicants;
· Radically tightened licensing procedures for the renewal of currently licensed guns;
· New regulations governing target shooting Clubs and Ranges.
· Those involved in target shooting (rifle and pistol) will be subject to a more rigorous authorisation procedure by the Garda Commissioner;
· A new three year licence with outsourced fee collection and licence production resulting in greater efficiency and improved customer service at garda station level;
· New guidelines on licensing matters, published by the Garda Commissioner, which will be available to the public.

Minister Ahern continued: "The modernisation of the licensing system is a big step forward and will result in a better system all round, with benefits accruing at many levels. This Act gives the Garda Commissioner the additional powers he needs to address matters relating to firearms licensing."

Edited by ordnance

Yes steppenwolf A global organisation with real power would be a god send for shooting.shooters need to stand together no matter where in the world we are.there WILL be a day when we in the uk have some sort of desperate petition going and would be thankfull of any support from anywhere when every signature counts.

We have had several desperate petitions already and all ignored due to either our own apathy or worse the I'm alright jack attitude.

Because of the actions of the IRA for nearly a century, southern Ireland has always had a lot of unregistered guns. Also it is believed some massive secret stockpiles, the report seems to focus on the IRA guns, talking of handguns with the serial nos ground off etc. So why target the legal guns????

Also, Eire used to have an incredibly laid back approach to off ticket shotguns and rimmys provided they stayed within the rural community. For many years the booze cruise ferries which plyed between Eire and northern France enabled the Irish to buy .22 rifles and shotguns along with their cheap boozes without any form of licence in France and bring them back, nobody appeared unduly concerned. They weren't a problem, just a paperwork issue and the authorities looked the other way.

This appears motivated by somebody with a hidden motive to attack shooters rather than crime.