Purple sprouting broccoli....

Mightymariner

I get them every year on my sprouts at my allotment. Even putting nets over the plants don't stop them.

The thing is I wouldn't be very popular if I started to blast away at them with my semi auto and I can't even use my air rifle!

Just have to put plastic bags on sticks to try and keep them away

the brassica growers association conference and trade exhibition in Lincolnshire in January 015 will give a talk by andy baxter on woodpigeon damage and disruption.for all you shooters in that area have a ride round, you never now,you might get a new perm its just a thought. ok lads, ....kenbo

Just right timing for JD may be? :good::good:

the brassica growers association conference and trade exhibition in Lincolnshire in January 015 will give a talk by andy baxter on woodpigeon damage and disruption.for all you shooters in that area have a ride round, you never now,you might get a new perm its just a thought. ok lads, ....kenbo

If I lived in that part of Lincs I would be going to that conference.....offering my services...as a pigeon shooter!

One of the best bags I ever could have had was on sprouting broccoli in the awful winter of 78 - 79...a field on the side of the A40 near Burford.. Only just make out the shape of the broccoli heads in the snow and the birds were so desperate they were landing blind on the peaks and just shaking the snow off.

Some birds were shocked from eating the frozen shoots that they became almost stupefied and you could walk to within 5 or 6 yards of them. We didn't put a hide up just stood in a ditch behind a drift hedge and shot the birds as they flew over our heads... didn't even put out any decoys.

We shot about 2 dozen each and then decided, my late granddad and, I that the birds were absolutely desperate and deserved a bit of compassion.

They couldn't really do that much damage so the Farmer agreed with us as well

That year was so cold I remember seeing loads of frozen and dead fieldfares and redwings in a field near Stow and actually picking a dozen or so live birds up and taking them home to the stable where we lived at the time. We even had 2 Jackdaw which came into the house and ate my Breakfast off the kitchen table.. One of the local farmers lost over 100 sheep out of a flock of 400...

When the snow receded they were exposed white against the grass like a macabre cemetery.

God that was a cold winter.