Another mirror poll - should shooting of animals for sport be banned?

aris

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just voted no - now at 76%

Surely they wouldn't skew their own vote dishonestly?

Oh hang on, it's the Mirror...

Well we're not the only forum who can organise itself and start influencing a poll.

For every one of us I'm sure there's an ultra leftist militant vegan out there just dying to share their opinion too.

63% yes 37% no when I voted just now but I was able to vote no twice so a pretty pointless poll and an appalling piece of journalism. CIA torture and mans innate nature as a hunter gatherer makes for cheap copy in my opinion. :mad:

Edited by KFC

Sport yes/Pest control no. I wish they wouldn't call or refer to it as SPORT,clays are sport .If we label pest control as sport then it sounds bad.One thing I hate to hear is when shooters referring to a shotgun of firearm as weapon.

Pheasant shooting isn't pest control.

Just paste that Mirror link into Google as a search term and you'll see why the results have jumped.

That poll has been referenced by numerous "anti" forums, Facebook groups etc.

Suppose we can't really grumble, we were doing the same thing. This is why online polls are meaningless... Not that I imagine that'll stop the Mirror from using the results to push their agenda.

Couple of examples:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/871/854/377/

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=480774915393994&id=315758148562339

I'd avoid reading the Facebook comments if you suffer from high blood pressure.

Edited by DeepThought

I'm not talking about stupid pheasants.I wouldn't want pigeon shooting,rabbit shooting banned,pheasants they could ban tomorrow.

I don't understand your reasoning here, nor on your other post in this thread. Are you suggesting that the shooting of animals for 'sport' should be banned, but not the shooting of anything which is shot for the purposes of pest control?

I don't understand your reasoning here, nor on your other post in this thread. Are you suggesting that the shooting of animals for 'sport' should be banned, but not the shooting of anything which is shot for the purposes of pest control?

Don't think having birds purposely driven directly over the top of guns it fair,where's the field graft in that?

Don't think having birds purposely driven directly over the top of guns it fair,where's the field graft in that?

There is no field craft involved in driven shooting, that has never been what driven shooting is about. Pheasants are shot and killed for sport, no other reason; that is what they are bred, reared and released for. They are shot for entertainment, for the enjoyment of those who enjoy shooting, exactly the same reason you kill your pigeons and rabbits. You may kid yourself that you're doing it for pest control, and that is admittedly part of it, but if you're being perfectly honest with yourself, and everyone else, you're doing it because you enjoy it. If you're not enjoying yourself then stop doing it.

If you think hurling hundreds of tiny metal pellets at a soft skinned animal at velocities of over a thousand feet per second is 'fair', then I think your logic is somewhat skew-whiff.

So what about walked up wild birds days? No different from shooting a few rabbits or pigeons

Walk Up days using a dog,that's having to work for the bird that's different,I have no objection too.

There is no field craft involved in driven shooting, that has never been what driven shooting is about. Pheasants are shot and killed for sport, no other reason; that is what they are bred, reared and released for. They are shot for entertainment, for the enjoyment of those who enjoy shooting, exactly the same reason you kill your pigeons and rabbits. You may kid yourself that you're doing it for pest control, and that is admittedly part of it, but if you're being perfectly honest with yourself, and everyone else, you're doing it because you enjoy it. If you're not enjoying yourself then stop doing it.

If you think hurling hundreds of tiny metal pellets at a soft skinned animal at velocities of over a thousand feet per second is 'fair', then I think your logic is somewhat skew-whiff.

Of course I enjoy it never said I didnt,I just don't agree with driven birds.

How is it unfair? A bit like saying it is unfair that a fox has evolved teeth to hunt its prey. Humans evolved a brain and, uniquely, were able to manufacture and use tools - such as a gun to hunt with.