Freelander with dead engine

triumphant59

I have chance of a mk1 petrol freelander with a dead engine, it's obviously overheated as the header tank is dry and has clearly boiled over. The engine turns over but won't start. Other than that it is in great condition with 89k miles. Has anyone had experience of repairing such an engine or is it easier to get a replacement engine and what is that likely to cost. I can buy the car for£250. Is it worth buying or should I walkaway?

I'm assuming it's a 1.8 petrol ? If so, then it's the Rover 'K' series which is notorious for cooking the engines

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, even if it was free. But if you really want to see the long list of common problems, then go here :

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/freelander-1997/?section=good

i may well be the only person in the world that actually like those engines :lol:

seen loads of em in for headgaskets, from metros to mgf's and the odd lotus..........but you never have to do the same one twice if you use the right parts

i reckon once sorted they are a nice peppy, fairly economic little motor :good:

My son bought one we fitted the modified head gasket, he did 50K in it before it went to Poland and is still running wit it's new owner.

Is doing the head gasket a diy job, I've read head gasket replacement if it hasn't blown being over £500 and if it's blown nearer a £1000! I've read about modified thermostats and different head bolts all of which cost. I'm thinking if I can't do it myself and spend £250 I'll stick with my little terios!

i think you'll struggle to do it for that tbh, theres no point buying gaskets/bolts/t'stat (cam belt kit+ waterpump while its in bits) oil/filter/coolant flush if your not going to get the head pressure/crack tested, and you can almost guarantee it'll need a skim if it gets the all clear from the crack test!

its more than diy'able, prob one of the easiest one to do with the exception of, in the case of a freelander, the engine position!

its located well down in the bay so its a bit of a pain (in the back!!) reaching in to do the job......at least it is at my age which is why the young lads get to do all that stuff now a days :lol:

id say that if the car is in otherwise good shape then go for it, spending a bit extra to know it'll be sound for many more miles is money well spent :good:

Had a few freelanders -not all trouble free-. Replacement engines are fairly cheap. Buy one and change te head gasket, oilrail and -if iTS and older model- the thermostat.

Not a very hard job to do, not extremely heavy either - k series engine is a light weight engine-

For 250 I would buy it and do her up. But that's just me.