Strange season

widgeon man

Having had a successful start and some good flights upto now, including several great trips away fowling, my sport has slowed considerably! Pondering this over a cup of tea, we saw crows locked in flight and blue tits inspecting the nesting boxes( in the back garden)!!!! I'm wondering now if the lower numbers of duck will be all we see?? Seems perhaps nature belives spring is in the air and perhaps the duck are stopping back in Europe?? Has anyone else been thinking similar?! I was still hopeful that this cold would ring a change?

You are both right it has been quite but it hasn't been a waste of time . there are duck about but not as many as last year at this time . If we keep waiting for the right conditions or duck using a particular marsh or whatever we could be in for a long wait.

I have had several blanks but I have had a nice lot of duck in between and a few Pinks . Each season I put in my diary at least once ( that was the best flight of the season ) and up to now I haven't had one that I would class as the best of the season , maybe over the next six weeks one will come along.......but if it don't it wont be for a lack of trying .

Having had a successful start and some good flights upto now, including several great trips away fowling, my sport has slowed considerably! Pondering this over a cup of tea, we saw crows locked in flight and blue tits inspecting the nesting boxes( in the back garden)!!!! I'm wondering now if the lower numbers of duck will be all we see?? Seems perhaps nature belives spring is in the air and perhaps the duck are stopping back in Europe?? Has anyone else been thinking similar?! I was still hopeful that this cold would ring a change?

Plenty wigeon at Sutton yesterday Brad !

On saterday I and a couple of friends were shooting in the Broads and we had a good flight getting 19 duck and a pink and 4 greylag and my gun jammed letting 6 skiens of very low greylag past unshot at. So we have plenty of duck and geese on our marsh. But our main duck are wigeon on this inland marsh and we only had 2 in the bag of mallard gadwall and teal , usually they make up 75% of the bag. Wigeon seem in short supply inland and on the coast in my shooting areas.

On the subject of jamming I use a Browning Gold but it does not like mixing 3 and 3.5 inch shells which I was doing as a mix of duck and geese were flighting over me. Sometines it fails to eject the second cartridge, sometimes failing to cock the gun.Anyone else hav similar problems.

Shoot all 3 or all 3.5 inch shells and all is fine. The problem was I had no 3 inch goose shells with me ( I was not expecting more than an odd goose to be about and there were hundreds ) so had to use a mix of both lengths.

On saterday I and a couple of friends were shooting in the Broads and we had a good flight getting 19 duck and a pink and 4 greylag and my gun jammed letting 6 skiens of very low greylag past unshot at. So we have plenty of duck and geese on our marsh. But our main duck are wigeon on this inland marsh and we only had 2 in the bag of mallard gadwall and teal , usually they make up 75% of the bag. Wigeon seem in short supply inland and on the coast in my shooting areas.

On the subject of jamming I use a Browning Gold but it does not like mixing 3 and 3.5 inch shells which I was doing as a mix of duck and geese were flighting over me. Sometines it fails to eject the second cartridge, sometimes failing to cock the gun.Anyone else hav similar problems.

Shoot all 3 or all 3.5 inch shells and all is fine. The problem was I had no 3 inch goose shells with me ( I was not expecting more than an odd goose to be about and there were hundreds ) so had to use a mix of both lengths.

Your not the first to have problems with the browning gold , the solution is simple here is a step by step guide .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FJ2FDcIZs

I cant afford to chuck my gun away and 99% of the time its no problem , its mainly when I mix 3 and 3.5 inch shells.

I would try a new mag spring. The only trouble I have had with my gun (xtrema) has been when the spring has got too worn. A replacement soon sorts this out. Worth a go, and the spring should be cheap enough.

I have shot from one end of the country to the other this season shakin!!! Visit the wash and surrounding area most weeks despite living in the south! : o

The south coast has reasonable numbers, but the east coast has not had the numbers, not where I have looked anyway

Where do you shoot on the east coast up North ? Pm if you like, I've had two trips up north this year and shot my personal bag limit on geese by the 4th morning , I do move round a bit usually don't shoot the same firth twice in one day.

0ther than that I shoot the wash , had a few good flights on the geese not had many duck.

I was out on the N Norfolk Coast guiding an winner from the 1213 Rockland auction today we saw plenty of teal tide flighting with several hundred comming into the decoys giving us both some very good , but testing shooting, but very few wigeon with only one in the bag . Unfortunetly the pinks are all roosting on a flooded field inland and just two small skiens came in off the sands at dawn.

Edited by anser2