Pesky Buzzard

crowdie2013

Was out yesterday for an hour with the hmr and shot a rook at about 200 yds. I was walking across the field to get it and was about 40yds away when a buzzard came in and tried to fly off with it!!

It dragged it for about 20yds before dropping it and flying to a tree close by. It sat and watched for 10 minutes; had the phone out and video ready to roll but it never came back to try and claim it.

Anyways, was quite a sight. Think I`ll treat myself to a `go-pro` for crimbo :) !

Great shooting Ollie!

Was that a go-pro you were using? Ive not looked into them too much but see they start about £100 on argos for a basic model. Any recommendations?

The camera used on all my videos on my YouTube channel is a cheap Chinese camera called sj1000. It's obviously not as good as a gopro but it does ok. I have it mounted on a gopro headmount. The only criticism I have is that 1 of the buttons is jammed which means I can't access playback while out in the field, but I don't need to.

• 3 weeks later...

I was out with the night sights rabbit shooting a couple month's ago before the rape got to high, I was shooting around a old water pit with a warren along side it, I had just got my new Yukon Photon XT 4.6x42 sight on the hmr so was trying it out when I had a set of eyes about 50yrds in the field it was only a baby so I pinged it off, it rolled over so I had a quick scan to see if any other rabbits were about before I went to pick it up. after scanning I went back to spot the one I had just shot and to my amazement a barn owl swooped down and took off with it the little blighter, I managed to follow it in flight with my bunny until it flew over a bunch of trees. what a fantastic sight it was and I wish I had a dvr attached to the scope. Just glad the barn owl had a easy free meal

Last time out I had just shot a pigeon, looked up to see what I initially thought was another coming in. Turned out to be a buzzard, wings set back, barrelling in at a rate of knots straight onto the bird I'd just shot. It made quite a thud when it struck. If it hadn't have been dead already it would have been after that.

I stood up and called 'hey, that's mine!' The buzzard turned to look and flew off without it.

I did think after that maybe I should have let it take it but hey...

GH

Last time out I had just shot a pigeon, looked up to see what I initially thought was another coming in. Turned out to be a buzzard, wings set back, barrelling in at a rate of knots straight onto the bird I'd just shot. It made quite a thud when it struck. If it hadn't have been dead already it would have been after that.

I stood up and called 'hey, that's mine!' The buzzard turned to look and flew off without it.

I did think after that maybe I should have let it take it but hey...

GH

We had a similar situation last week, pinged a crow and about to finish him off on the ground when a buzzard came in, this guy was so low (a few feet) off the ground it was hard to spot him as he was in a dip in the ground and moving fast and silent.

Amazing to see.

Think I`ll treat myself to a `go-pro` for crimbo :) !

go pro's are great, have quite a few myself, but you cant zoom in with them, and stuff that you can see quite clearly, becomes a dot when filmed, I have buzzards in our woodland and many a time have seen them chase after the pigeons I'm shooting, filmed them with the go pro, only to get film of a blue sky and a dot, I therefore as have a cheap little handheld video camera that can be left on standby and grabbed if need be, it has 10 x zoom

Birds of prey do come quite frequently to decoys over the years, had a few peregrines, sparrowhawk, buzzards, and twice in 2 years a goshawk strike the magnet, and one attack a bird on a cradle! Stunning birds viewed from the hide close up with binoculars

I regularly pass a field of maize stubble in south Cheshire. There has never been less than 2 buzzards on it and the most recent visit there were 5 !

I would love to know what is of so much interest. Unless a better explanation comes along, I am presuming its an extended family unit as I presume they are territorial.