Advise Required

adi786

Hi guys,

Am not into crow/jackdow hunt, but one of the farms i can shoot i saw quite few jackdaws file looking for pigeons, so thinking to bash some of them. Is it same for jackdaws i.e. they sometime decoy and sometimes they dont even come nearby?

second is Jackdaw call a must to have? I have shot few while doing pigeon, but never went for just Jackdaws..

Edited by adi786

I think it might be because you don't need as many. Of course its always good to have more but most of my success with them was using 1 decoy and adding dead birds into the pattern. Also the decoy I had was just a crow shape cut out of mdf and sprayed black. Others have used socks to add the 3d look to it, it works though lol

If you want real good advice ask steve_b_wales he's like the corvid god lol helped me out a couple of years ago

Edited by paul2012

I think it might be because you don't need as many. Of course its always good to have more but most of my success with them was using 1 decoy and adding dead birds into the pattern. Also the decoy I had was just a crow shape cut out of mdf and sprayed black. Others have used socks to add the 3d look to it, it works though lol

If you want real good advice ask steve_b_wales he's like the corvid god lol helped me out a couple of years ago

You made me blush Paul :blush::lol:

Regarding Corvid shooting, especially Jackdaw's, these are the easiest of all to call in and shoot. They are supposed to be clever birds, but when I'm in the field picking up dead ones, with shotgun to hand, and they are circling above my head, it makes me wonder. You can make your own decoys out of a material called CORREX (do a search under the Crafts & DIY section)

Get yourself a Primos Power Crow caller and learn to use it properly. It's the best caller on the market, because it can be used to call in Crows, Jackdaw's and Rooks.

Decoys can be placed in no particular pattern. I place mine out with a yard or two between each one, and they all face different directions. If there's a wind, place most of them facing into it, with a few placed side on. I use the dead ones to boost my decoys, and use 15" bamboo canes that I insert from their rear end into their skulls. The remainder of the cane in simply inserted into the ground. They look excellent and really fool the Jackdaw's.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Steve.

PS. If you can't get Primos caller, get an ACME caller, which are ideal for Jackdaw's but not for anything else (in my opinion) owing to their high pitched call.

Lol socks... u serious :). steve_b_wales... corvid must know him now and stay miles away from him :)

Thanks for the advise Steve, i beleive what paul said was 101% true :). Yup i've ordered one primos power crow caller yesterday, last week i went for pigeon didn't find them but in one field saw alot crows.. am new to this crow thingy so not aware of much difference between Crows/Jackdaws/Rooks for me they same B) . had a look at CORREX they look like normal brown plastic slightly pieces. Please do pm me or post here how to prepare few.

Nope. None left to shy away from me, cos I shot 'em all! :whistling:

lol :good:

Thanks for the advise Steve, i beleive what paul said was 101% true :). Yup i've ordered one primos power crow caller yesterday, last week i went for pigeon didn't find them but in one field saw alot crows.. am new to this crow thingy so not aware of much difference between Crows/Jackdaws/Rooks for me they same B) . had a look at CORREX they look like normal brown plastic slightly pieces. Please do pm me or post here how to prepare few.

lol :good:

Crows will fly slower that Jackdaw's and Rooks. You will be able to tell the difference with practice. When you get the Primos caller, take your time to learn how to use it, and don't 'diss' it like so many others have done. I have used this caller for many many years and have had great success. Listen to how the birds sound and try and replicate that sound. Crows are the hardest to lure into your decoys, and, as mentioned, any movement for you, and they will shy away. Also, if the decoys don't look right, or if tyhey are not happy with the slightest thing, they won't in. Young ones are easier though.

Jackdaw's, as I mentioned, are stupid! You still have to use your skills to bring them within range, but are easier to call etc. Even when shot at, I have seen some just go round in a circle and come in for more!

Good luck with your shooting of them. Crows rank as my #1 most hated quarry.

Crows will fly slower that Jackdaw's and Rooks. You will be able to tell the difference with practice. When you get the Primos caller, take your time to learn how to use it, and don't 'diss' it like so many others have done. I have used this caller for many many years and have had great success. Listen to how the birds sound and try and replicate that sound. Crows are the hardest to lure into your decoys, and, as mentioned, any movement for you, and they will shy away. Also, if the decoys don't look right, or if tyhey are not happy with the slightest thing, they won't in. Young ones are easier though.

Jackdaw's, as I mentioned, are stupid! You still have to use your skills to bring them within range, but are easier to call etc. Even when shot at, I have seen some just go round in a circle and come in for more!

Good luck with your shooting of them. Crows rank as my #1 most hated quarry.

Thanks, so they're like pigeons, specially when they not decoying slight movement and they gone, am going to try them on saturday, what is the best time to be in hide for crows, hopefully ill receive the call tomorrow, and will try to use it. Will pm me, would be best if somehow you can send me a quick video on how to use it... :) thanks a lot

The best time is first light if possible. Birds come out of the roost and are hungry. Getting the decoys in place before they leave is best. Another good time is early evening, before the nights starts drawing in. The birds may come in for a last feed before going to roost.

I have'nt got a video on using the Primos caller, sorry. But just practice and don't give up,even if you can't seem to get it right.

The best time is first light if possible. Birds come out of the roost and are hungry. Getting the decoys in place before they leave is best. Another good time is early evening, before the nights starts drawing in. The birds may come in for a last feed before going to roost.

I have'nt got a video on using the Primos caller, sorry. But just practice and don't give up,even if you can't seem to get it right.

Thanks will have a look, looking at some of youtube videos.... some videos saying need to through out air like you been gargling

Your pretty local to me aint you ?( Basingstoke ) your more than welcome to borrow some crow deeks from me I have plenty :good: just let me know mate and we can sort something out,drop me a PM :good: atb BB

Thanks a lot mate, pm sent :good:

when i got mine i quite often found myself practising with it on way to my days shoot some people sing in the car i just called crows lol

colin

lol thats the best way to do it, am going to give it a start at home probably looking at some videos how they sound and try to give myself a starter, hope with time it'll improve :)

Met Bluebarrels today top man, very informative and well friendly, had a chat with him for probably half an hour or so, had a good chat about his shooting experience, etc. As promised he gave me quite alot of crow decoys and on top unexpected Camo Net as well. Thanks mate, will see you soon again.

Im out on the crows in the morning. First light for me .

I usually find this time of year its best to shoot them coming from/going to roost :yes: and its usually fast and furious but short lived,always find decoying is better on new sown crops or harvest time for the corvids :good: unless you have pigs/livestock on your perm,BB