Should dogs be muzzled off lead ?

Fisherman Mike

Just had a really nasty experience with my whippet cross...was just cleaning up after his morning ablutions and placing the doggy doos in the doggy doos bin when a Large female boxer who was being exercised in an adjacent field came bounding over completely ignoring the calls of her owner and pitched straight into my dog.

I had to spin the dog away on his lead and get between them whereapon the boxer took a bite at my arm and leg. Luckily my dog had a wide leather collar on but the teeth marks on it are quite prominent.

The owner of the boxer was very apologetic and suitably chastised the dog, but what was more frightening for me was the fact the if I wasn't as big as I was and it had been my wife ....my dog would have been ripped to shreds.

Despite being a fit and strong man he found it very difficult to bring his dog under control as it was a big powerful dog.

I was very surprised because boxers aren't normally aggressive but these two obviously took a dislike to each other.

I have always muzzled all my dogs when they have been off lead apart from when they have been working.

Do you think this should be a mandatory requirement. ? Particularly where dogs are potentially more powerful than their owners.?.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does a muzzled dog defend itself in cases where it is attacked by a non muzzled dog? The irresponsible owners will never do the right thing.

Understood but in this case the owner is far from irresponsible...he just didn't have the physical strength to restrain the dog.

I shudder to think of the outcome if the dog had turned its attentions on my wife or young daughter in the same situation.

Mike, playing devil's advocate a little bit, I would suggest the owner is irresponsible. It is extremely unlikely that this is the first time that his dog has shown signs of aggression towards another dog and also extremely unlikely that this is the first time that the owner has appreciated how powerful his dog is.

If he was responsible he would have had his dog muzzled already or he should have kept it on lead when anyone else was around.

Know your dog is all I can would say. My 2 get put on the lead when we come to anybody we don't know.

One of mine has been bitten twice in the past so he will start before they do now, so I always keep an eye on him & the other dog.

It's not the dog that's the problem, it's the owner who won't / don't take control of the situation.

I know someone who carries a big stick for this reason as his springer was skinned by a lurcher & jack russell.

Sorry to say anybody can buy a dog.

I believe we need to criminalise attacking dogs more. My view is that if you cannot pick your dog off the ground by the scruff of its neck it is too powerful for you to handle and you should be responsible enough not to own it. Or if you do then it must be muzzled whilst in public.

We have all seen the 10stone lady walking along with two Rockweillers. Wouldn't stand a chance to control them. If penalties were far more severe, they may think twice.

It is the owner's responsibility to control their dogs, whatever that takes. If it means a pinch collar, training, a muzzle, or something else, you have to control your dogs. I'd never want a muzzle to be mandatory. As noted above, how do you play fetch with one on? How does a muzzled dog defend itself from a non muzzled dog?

thanks,

rick

I believe we need to criminalise attacking dogs more. My view is that if you cannot pick your dog off the ground by the scruff of its neck it is too powerful for you to handle and you should be responsible enough not to own it. Or if you do then it must be muzzled whilst in public.

We have all seen the 10stone lady walking along with two Rockweillers. Wouldn't stand a chance to control them. If penalties were far more severe, they may think twice.

I disagree completely. I can't pick up my 65 lb lab by the neck, nor do I ever need to. The only requirement that can be mandatory is that you have your dog under control while in public.

You'd be surprised what a 10-stone lady is capably of. I have two very relevant examples, one from each side of the pond. Back in the US, a good friend was a retriever trialer. She had a couple dogs, one in particular was a 100lb lab who was solid muscle (not a barrel of a lab like some). The lady in question was 4'10" and maybe 8 stone soaking wet in a big jumper. She could walk her pack of dogs off-lead down the middle of a motorway safely if she wanted to. The other is here in the UK. Similar build, only she is 65 years old. She has an english bulldog and a rottweiler, both of which weigh 50% more than she does. Again, she is the boss and they listen absolutely.

rick

I disagree completely. I can't pick up my 65 lb lab by the neck, nor do I ever need to. The only requirement that can be mandatory is that you have your dog under control while in public.

You'd be surprised what a 10-stone lady is capably of. I have two very relevant examples, one from each side of the pond. Back in the US, a good friend was a retriever trialer. She had a couple dogs, one in particular was a 100lb lab who was solid muscle (not a barrel of a lab like some). The lady in question was 4'10" and maybe 8 stone soaking wet in a big jumper. She could walk her pack of dogs off-lead down the middle of a motorway safely if she wanted to. The other is here in the UK. Similar build, only she is 65 years old. She has an english bulldog and a rottweiler, both of which weigh 50% more than she does. Again, she is the boss and they listen absolutely.

rick

Unfortunately Your friends will never know until one of their dogs decide they want to kill something. All dogs have a killer instinct IMHO

rick

Point taken..but by the same token I had a German Shepherd which was an ex police dog for a short time..

I could walk it in a crowded kindergarten...but if it decided to have a go even me being 16 stone and as strong as an ox I wouldn't have been able to stop it....apart from shooting it probably.

On a slightly different note my lab (on lead) was set upon by a border terrier that was off the lead . It's owner was then bitten by his own dog as he tried to pick it up to stop it and he then successfully sued my insurance for 10 grand for his injuries . He had a tiny cut on the back of his hand Frigging no win no fee lawyers

Very touchy subject this, where i walk my dogs is full of idiots who cant control there dogs, the number of times i hear a shout of " mines friendly " followed by snarling is unbelievable, i have 2 staffordshire bull terriers who admittedly are no saints which is why they are collared and harnessed and on a lead next to me,i hate walking them because of the idiots, the whole time im out i must look like a meercat looking around for other dogs !.

On a slightly different note my lab (on lead) was set upon by a border terrier that was off the lead . It's owner was then bitten by his own dog as he tried to pick it up to stop it and he then successfully sued my insurance for 10 grand for his injuries . He had a tiny cut on the back of his hand Frigging no win no fee lawyers

That's absolutely shocking!!

My whippet was attacked last year as I got him out of the car (he was on a lead as it was near road) woman let two Labradors out of her freelander and they pitched into him , I pulled him from them and stepped in between with my boot , she called them and apologised asking which of her dogs started it !

I have found out since she has had it happen to several other dogs and their owners , once whilst with her husband who uses a stick on other dogs .

I wish I had reported it at the time , being a whippet he can usually out run most other dogs but if he was muzzled not only could he not defend himself 9which he never has) but surely would affect his breathing to outrun attackers , at full pelt he usually has his tongue hanging out :D

My whippet was attacked last year as I got him out of the car (he was on a lead as it was near road) woman let two Labradors out of her freelander and they pitched into him , I pulled him from them and stepped in between with my boot , she called them and apologised asking which of her dogs started it !

I have found out since she has had it happen to several other dogs and their owners , once whilst with her husband who uses a stick on other dogs .

I wish I had reported it at the time , being a whippet he can usually out run most other dogs but if he was muzzled not only could he not defend himself 9which he never has) but surely would affect his breathing to outrun attackers , at full pelt he usually has his tongue hanging out :D

The point is you shouldn't need to muzzle your dog because it only the size of a whipped and presumably you are strong enough to control it. It is the people that own dogs and are incapable of physically controlling them that should have their dogs muzzled in public.

im gutted for you mike. its never nice seeing one of your family get attacked, and lets face it, for most people a dog is an extension of their family. i'd defend mine with the same intent that i would defend a child.

i dont, however, think all dogs should be muzzled.

as has been mentioned on here, its down to the owner to be responsible for their own dog. if you know its a bit touchy then keep it on a lead. and from the other side of the fence, i think people with friendly dogs can be just as much of a pain by letting their dogs bound up and try and play with a dog that they dont know.

recall is key in most instances.

mine got attacked, not once but twice, by the same dog down on the local beach, within an hour period.

i let it slide the first time, as it wasnt particulary bad. just a terrier having a go and my archie didnt even seem bothered. checked him over and all was fine.

woman comes over apologising, 'not to worry' i said, 'no harm done, just keep him away from mine'.

35 minutes later, same dog comes screaming down the beach, with the female nowhere in sight, and starts barking at him again. then go's crazy, biting archie on his behind. it took 2 good boots the side to get him off. female owner comes over the horizon, just as im putting the second boot in, screaming at me and telling me to stop kicking her dog.

before i had chance to say a word to her as she got closer, my wife unleashed a torrent of words that ive never heard her use before... a massive argument between them followed which ended when i handed her the dog and told her to get lost.

and then, would you believe it, she let the little **** go so it could have another pop at archie, grinning at us the whole time.

to be fair, the grin stopped quite quickly. that was the one and only time i have ever seen archie turn on another dog, he must have chased that terrier at least a quater of a mile up the beach, snapping at him the whole time.

stopped dead as soon as i called him and trotted back with his tail wagging.

I personally Muzzle my dog,an American Bulldog so quite heavy and very strong, as it is aggressive with other dogs and has snapped at a couple of people, in certain unpleasant circumstances, but i have been on the receiving end of another dog attacking mine because its owner had no idea how to control a dog,I'm slightly ashamed to say i beat the dog senseless and if the owner had have got closer he might have received the same £182.00 for stitches to my dog and its only increased his distain for other dogs.

If all dogs were muzzled this scenario wouldn't have arisen.

I personally Muzzle my dog,an American Bulldog so quite heavy and very strong, as it is aggressive with other dogs and has snapped at a couple of people, in certain unpleasant circumstances, but i have been on the receiving end of another dog attacking mine because its owner had no idea how to control a dog,I'm slightly ashamed to say i beat the dog senseless and if the owner had have got closer he might have received the same £182.00 for stitches to my dog and its only increased his distain for other dogs.

If all dogs were muzzled this scenario wouldn't have arisen.

thats awful mate. and no need to be ashamed, i would have done the same.

was the other dog running free? or on a lead?

That is a well thought out plan - NOT. Must have taken a whole second to formulate it. :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

I do not agree about muzzling the dogs and I say that the owner who let if off the lead was irresponsible - totally.

One of our Akitas - 10 stone of fluff - was never muzzled, but was attacked about half a dozen times, by dogs, whose owners let them off their lead. Why would I have put my dog in a position where it could not defend itself? Mine stayed on a lead.

Why should everyone be forced to muzzle their dogs because of a minority of bad dogs?

I own a Boxer as well as a Bullmastiff and 99% of the time they're off lead.They always come back when i demand and dont cause me any grief so why would i need them muzzling? The Boxer in particular is exceptionally friendly to other dogs and despite what other people have posted-i've never met a nasty Boxer. As a breed,they're not the smartest of dogs,but are the 24hr party animal and i think some people confuse their energetic personality with aggression.

Just had a really nasty experience with my whippet cross...was just cleaning up after his morning ablutions and placing the doggy doos in the doggy doos bin when a Large female boxer who was being exercised in an adjacent field came bounding over completely ignoring the calls of her owner and pitched straight into my dog.

I had to spin the dog away on his lead and get between them whereapon the boxer took a bite at my arm and leg. Luckily my dog had a wide leather collar on but the teeth marks on it are quite prominent.

The owner of the boxer was very apologetic and suitably chastised the dog, but what was more frightening for me was the fact the if I wasn't as big as I was and it had been my wife ....my dog would have been ripped to shreds.

Despite being a fit and strong man he found it very difficult to bring his dog under control as it was a big powerful dog.

I was very surprised because boxers aren't normally aggressive but these two obviously took a dislike to each other.

I have always muzzled all my dogs when they have been off lead apart from when they have been working.

Do you think this should be a mandatory requirement. ? Particularly where dogs are potentially more powerful than their owners.?.

There would have been no problem if your dog was off the lead, it would have run rings round it.