Winchester SX3, Beretta A300 Outlander or other (please specify).

DeepThought

Hi

I've been looking into some mid-range semi autos and these two seem to keep coming up within my budget (around £800, preferably less).

Does anyone have any experience with these or any similarly priced semi auto 12 gauges? If so which would you recommend?

I know there's a Benelli that is similarly priced but I'm reading bad things from across the pond and the M2 is too expensive.

My budget is set in stone I'm afraid so please don't suggest anything above it, similarly I'll consider second hand but only ones that actually exist.

Cheers

Keep scouring the advertisements online until a clean M2 comes up. A lot of people buy them because they 'fancy one' and then realise they aren't really using it a lot, especially if they're more into busting clays and driven shoots where semi autos are not the done thing,

Be patient and you'll pick up a minter for £600 - £800. The upper price being for a Comfortech stock. Personally my Supenova has the fancy stock and my M2's don't, and I can't really tell the difference, so it might be a case of The Emperor's New Clothes?

Hold out for an M2 though. Second hand guns are so much better value, and most have had little or no use, just avoid the dogs that look like old navvies shovels.

Don't be afraid to ask for some background history, which normally elicits the response "old Terry bought this back in the summer, never got on with it and traded it back in against a new Beretta 692..."

Also, ask for a discount, and if they refuse, ask them to chuck in some cartridges or a cleaning kit. You don't ask, you don't get!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. Just remember, the new guns will always be there...

I have an SX3 and honestly can't really fault it! It cycles all my 28g 7.5 clay loads all the way up to 60g 3.5inch cartridges without skipping a beat! It's really rugged with no signs of wear and easy to strip down. I don't really have to keep it clean either, I only clean it when it starts spraying bits of stuff everywhere!

Sorry to hijack your topic Deep Thought, but as I don't know how to start a new discussion.

I am in a similar position as I am also looking to purchase a semi auto, although I have narrowed my choice more or less down to a Armsan 600 series and was interested in fiiggy's comment regarding the 612. I bought a fixed choke 12g Beretta a few years ago after a lapse of 20 years clay shooting. In between the time of last shooting, I had unfortunately lost a lung due to cancer and when I went shooting with a mate soon after buying the gun, I found it too heavy in weight and also the recoil severe. It put me off getting back into shooting and I sold the gun almost immediately after the first outing. I am now considering buying a semi auto and having read good reports on the Armsan 600 series, I am seeking advice on whether to go for the 612 or the 620. The last two digits refer to the gauge. As I think the 620 will have less of a recoil than the 612 I am leaning towards the 20g. Both versions are gas operated. I have also chose the Armsan as it is light in weight. I can also buy this gun new from my dealer for £390, which after my Beretta disappointment the price suits me and if I decide to continue in the sport, I may then move onto something nicer. Having said that, myself and a friend used to shoot clays with Bakal OU and the gun snobbery soon stopped when we were the ones with the high scores. It's what your used to and what suits you that matters, not the price. Having said that, I'd rather have Merc than a Smart car . Any advice is very welcome. Gordon

Believe me the Armsan is a real consideration, except for the fact everyone I currently shoot with owns one already and I just wanted to be different, possibly not the best reason to spend an extra £400 I grant you.

All this gun snobbery I keep hearing about, does it actually exist? Are there really guys out there who turn up to a clay shoot with a matched pair of Perazzis and openly mock beginners in their 20s and 30s who can only afford a Baikal? I could possibly just about understand it at a driven shoot where people spend a fortune to get away from the proletariat, but down at a local clay ground? Really?

I tell you now, if anything makes me turn my back on this sport it'll be that.

Edited by DeepThought

I had a Hatsan for 18 months and 7000 shells for vermin control it was great in black plastic. Down side was cleaning as the gas seal can be fragile and the gun gets very dirty. Bolt carrier broke so changed it two months ago for A300 again in black plastic. 2000 rounds with no jams or other faults and no need to clean it yet. Ex display it was less than £700.

Shooting in hides and as a working gun i would only buy plastic and am less concerned with brand and model than function.

The Outlander didnt fit me at all..yet the SX3 was like a glove ! Ive had it nearly a year and have used it on the crows and pigeons all summer and love shooting it..its been flawless..my m8 has a Berreta semi that he paid about £1500 for and tbh its rubbish..the feel and fit is terrible to me....try a few and see what fits and feels good to you...

Edited by simjakcal

Have you picked any of them up yet?

I narrowed my choice down like you have then went to the shooting show where I could touch and feel them. I instantly started dismissing guns that I had been pondering for some time.

Make sure it feels right for you and don't buy on someone else's say so.

All this gun snobbery I keep hearing about, does it actually exist? Are there really guys out there who turn up to a clay shoot with a matched pair of Perazzis and openly mock beginners in their 20s and 30s who can only afford a Baikal? I could possibly just about understand it at a driven shoot where people spend a fortune to get away from the proletariat, but down at a local clay ground? Really?

I tell you now, if anything makes me turn my back on this sport it'll be that.

unfortunately, yes, there is.

i wouldnt let it put you off though. let your shooting do the talking.

i raised more than a few eyebrows on sunday when i turned up at my local 50 bird sporting with a pump action. but hey, i usually shoot there with a section 1 beretta so they should be used to it by now, lol.

just crack on and shoot matey!

I'd love to try a few side by side but if Gun Trader is to be believed then the retailers are few and far between near me.

I'd need to organise a small tour of Southern England just to shoulder 3 or 4 guns.

Might well go along to the gun show next year for this very reason.

I was in exactly the same position which is why I waited and went along to the Shooting show. Though I tried to buy a gun there wasn't many of the gun I decided on and ended up not getting one from the show. But since the manufacturers are there it was an opportunity to try them all side by side as you said.

On paper I could have easily chosen any of the ones I was looking at (there was 4 or 5), after picking them up I instantly dismissed them all bar one.

Modern guns are made such that they will probably outlast us, and that includes the cheaper ones; Similarly you can buy an expensive gun which can develop a problem. For me it comes down to fit firstly and then aesthetics, both as important as the other.

Cos

for the other poster gordon I have an a620 synthetic I also have an a300 outlander 12g,in my opinion they are both as good as each other,i don't notice the recoil on the little 20g even tho its so light bagged to more sqizzers yesterday with it,have used 25g 28g and 30g carts,even mixing carts in the mag doesn,t effect the cycling,and all for £390 were as my beretta was over £800.downside you only get 3 chokes with it but have just found out,beretta/benelli/betinsoli mobil chokes fit.so I,m already onto getting others I need.hope this is usefull for you,any other questions you can pm me,

unfortunately, yes, there is.

i wouldnt let it put you off though. let your shooting do the talking.

i raised more than a few eyebrows on sunday when i turned up at my local 50 bird sporting with a pump action. but hey, i usually shoot there with a section 1 beretta so they should be used to it by now, lol.

just crack on and shoot matey!

OK but I reserve the right to call them a very rude word and go about my day.

Never came across gun snobbery yet. Some people have nice expensive guns because they can afford them or want them, others have cheap guns because that's all they want or can afford. Same as any hobby some have more money than others but I've found clay shooting a very inclusive sport with great help and advice.

I have to say the SX3 is the one gun I haven't yet heard a single bad thing about. I'll certainly be trying one on.

I shot an SX3 and quite liked it, the stock was just a little thin for me aesthetically, same as the Maxus.

Both guns get great reviews though!

Edited by Cosd