Morning flight December 14

mickanles

Having heard the pinks calling down on the marshes lately I set the alarm for six for an early flight,
After de-icing the truck I grabbed the gun and dog and made my way down the marsh track. All the splashes were iced over, which the geese had been roosting on the last couple of weeks, on and off.
Set out a dozen decoys a mixture of silosocks and rags, a small net set on hazel sticks on the edge of the dyke and waited for first light.
It was half seven when I heard wink wink in the distance, a nice bunch came over the river calling as they do. I gave a call and they swung round and looked as though they were coming on a good line but went slightly wide for a shot.
Ten minutes later a single goose crossed the marsh, making sure the dog was behind the net, I gave a call and in it came, paddles down and commited to the coys,
Gun up ,bang miss, followed through as it flared away , the second shot finding its mark, The goose crashing down the other side of the dyke and quickly retrieved by the dog.
The first one this season after several blanks and will make a good meal

Goose008.jpg

Goose010.jpg

Edited by mickanles