One for the mechanics - Car electrics

Doc Holliday

A friend of mine is having some electrical problems with her car. She has a ford focus titanium on a 2010 plate and has been experiencing a myriad of flashing lights and strange goings on with the electrics in general.

She took it to the main dealer yesterday and they said it was the GEM module and quoted her £1200 to replace it. I've done a bit of digging online and have found that if there are a lot of electrical issues experienced then the GEM module is the likeliest cause which is down to water coming from the aircon evap tray running down the wiring loom and in to the pcb.

Further looking online has found GEM modules for about the £100 mark. I assume that it will need to compatible with her model (or not, possibly) but that aside, is it a straight forward case of unplugging the old one and fitting the new or will it be a bit more involved than that?

She's a lovely person and if I can help her out I will so I look to the great PW collective once more for your invaluable advice.

Doc.

sorry, but aint done to much on fords but, it depends on whet that particular module is programmed for, if its has the immobilizer then no you cant just swap. But there are other ways i use this company somtimes http://www.tamarelectronics.co.uk/they can normally download the info from your old module and upload it onto you new one. Im not going to lie to you the guy on the phone is called Nevil and can come across a bit grumpy but he is cheap and his work is very good.i hope this helps atb merry christmas

If its a recognized fault ford may well do an out of warranty repair

There may even be a modification that needs to be done google it and see if there is a tsb (technical service bulletin)

If there is that would mean they know about this problem which would mean they are more likely to put it right

Despite our bad reputation people in the motor trade are generally good guys

I work for a ford main dealer, all fords, except transits have a 3year or 60,000 mile warranty policy. Transits are 100,000 miles or 3years. I would say 99% that you would be wasting your chance trying to get a good will claim out of ford, they never want to pay when they are in warranty never mind when there out.

They do suffer from gem faults, I wouldn't say its a lot tho. £1200 sounds a little steep, but we charge £75+vat a hour for diagnosis, they may have spent a long time diagnosing the fault?

A genuine gem module will be a good few hundred pounds compared to a cheaper online alternative.

Your would have to code the keys (immobiliser pats parts) back into the system for it to start.

I've seen no end of problems, sucking and blowing the modules in, non starting, lights don't work, etc so can be a pain.

If it was me I would ask to speak to the manager, complain heavily about the price, I mean moan a lot, not obviously rudely but you get the jist and they normally knock loads off. That's what happens at our place!

I hope she gets its sorted, at a respectable price