6 in 3 hr's

dead eye alan

I find it so hard to get a decent bag this time of year. Met James a farmer's son and gave him his bottle of Christmas booze, told me his uncles rape was getting hammed could i sort it for him. :yahoo: Well could not refuse as this was a new permission, Went yesterday at 12.30 to check it out sure enough 100's on it and the best flight line iv'e seen this year 2's and 3's coming over the tree's and strait down on to the ground. Watched this non stop spectacle for 45 min

Could not wait to get on it today, arrived at 9.20 the same thing still happening at the same spot. :yahoo: Got kitted up for the 200 yard walk and set off the gray hoard's exploded into the sky and circled round as i walked to the ideal spot and set up. 7 fresh from the freezer bird's sat high on cradle's looked amazing in the bright morning sun, so settled down in anticipation of a good day fist 2 came in as if on train lines and fell strait in the pattan from 2 shoot's from the Hatsan,

only been set up 4 min when this happened so well pleased with myself :yahoo::yahoo: . 3 more arrived 5 min latter and 2 more fell to the floor with 2 shots from old fathfull. By this time I'me on cloud 9 with adrenalin running as fast as a steam train :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: . And then nothing for 50 min 2 more came in like spitfires and went out again as fast with hot lead flying all round them :no::no::no: . After that just another couple of singles and packed up and went home. :no::no: Oh the high's and the low's of this game are so hard to take some times. :no::no::no:

I hate rape with a passion, from a keepers point of view it's awfull, it's like a cover crop if tall this time of year and in the summer all it does is harbour vermin, yes I've shot a few good bags on it but I wouldn't miss the stuff 1 bit if it was never grown again.

I love the stuff. It's the main reason we have so many pigeons in this country. I always manage a few good bags from it every year.

That is exactly why I more often then not get set up for a first light start. A fast, frantic hour or so, shooting 30-40 can be had this way.

I was in almost the situation Alan describes but with 2 farms under attack. I got a buddy to hit one, I was on mine at dawn. By noon we had 3 between us and the skies were empty.

Later they came in dribs and drabs, we finished with 18 and 16.

Again it shows how different Norfolk is, a hide in the middle of a field stands no chance in our area, you excel like that....

Different world!!

Similar to you went out sun morning down to a rape field I knew the woodies were on up got a flock of a hundred or so got all the stuff out the 4x4 set up the deeks hide and bouncers 2 hours later 1 shot at a solitary woodie 2 shots at crows.Wondered if I had left the 4x4 to close (approx. 150 yards away)gave up and carted all the stuff back to the 4x4 just about to shut the door and a flock of about 20 woodies came and landed in a couple of big oaks about 30 yards away.Could not belive it 4x4 and me out in the open and they settled well I gently sliped the o/u back out of the case dropped a couple of 6 shot in and well they had to have some didn't they well 2 of them did any way.so I think I will leave the deeks for a while and walk it :no::no::no:

Edited by popa bear

I love the stuff. It's the main reason we have so many pigeons in this country. I always manage a few good bags from it every year.

If you were a keeper I'm sure your view would be slightly different on the stuff, yes granted it does feed pigeons and produce sport etc etc but it personally hinders me on the shoot rather than is a benifit to me. First place foxes and cubs get into in spring and summer and full of pheasants and partridge this time of year when I want them in my game cover crops.

You done better than me, I'm new to the pigeon shooting and struggling but loving it all the same, I set up 2 days ago nice and early exactly where the keeper said had been hammered by the pigeons, 2hrs later I had shot at 1 crow and would probably still be waiting now for the pigeons to show, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but from the sounds of it it's just a hard time of year, anyway I'll keep trying

I only managed 2 from 3 shots yesterday. An “L” shaped field of rape with 2 gas canons that go off every 30 to 40 minutes. Pigeons were feeding 100yds from one of the canons so set up there, and flagged off a good part of the field. I only got 3 shots in before they move to within 50yds of the other gas canon.

I have tried this field a few times with the same results. As soon as I set up they move elsewhere. They all seem to move as one flock coming and going, and by 2pm they have all disappeared. I don’t know what else I can do.

The only reason I keep going back there is to show willing and keep in with the farmer.

I find it so hard to get a decent bag this time of year. Met James a farmer's son and gave him his bottle of Christmas booze, told me his uncles rape was getting hammed could i sort it for him. :yahoo: Well could not refuse as this was a new permission, Went yesterday at 12.30 to check it out sure enough 100's on it and the best flight line iv'e seen this year 2's and 3's coming over the tree's and strait down on to the ground. Watched this non stop spectacle for 45 min

Could not wait to get on it today, arrived at 9.20 the same thing still happening at the same spot. :yahoo: Got kitted up for the 200 yard walk and set off the gray hoard's exploded into the sky and circled round as i walked to the ideal spot and set up. 7 fresh from the freezer bird's sat high on cradle's looked amazing in the bright morning sun, so settled down in anticipation of a good day fist 2 came in as if on train lines and fell strait in the pattan from 2 shoot's from the Hatsan,

only been set up 4 min when this happened so well pleased with myself :yahoo::yahoo: . 3 more arrived 5 min latter and 2 more fell to the floor with 2 shots from old fathfull. By this time I'me on cloud 9 with adrenalin running as fast as a steam train :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: . And then nothing for 50 min 2 more came in like spitfires and went out again as fast with hot lead flying all round them :no::no::no: . After that just another couple of singles and packed up and went home. :no::no: Oh the high's and the low's of this game are so hard to take some times. :no::no::no:

Had exactly the same myself today. First farm I visited not a bird in sight. Went to another and there were a few about. Set up and within minutes one came in and didn't leave again. !0 mins later a bunch came in and 2 dropped in the pattern. Thought this could turn out quite promising.... 3 hours later I hadn't seen another pigeon.

So frustrating!!!

I only managed 2 from 3 shots yesterday. An “L” shaped field of rape with 2 gas canons that go off every 30 to 40 minutes. Pigeons were feeding 100yds from one of the canons so set up there, and flagged off a good part of the field. I only got 3 shots in before they move to within 50yds of the other gas canon.

I have tried this field a few times with the same results. As soon as I set up they move elsewhere. They all seem to move as one flock coming and going, and by 2pm they have all disappeared. I don’t know what else I can do.

The only reason I keep going back there is to show willing and keep in with the farmer.

Could the fact that you 'keep going' be part of the problem? If i'm going to shoot on rape, I like the birds to be fairly settled.

Could the fact that you 'keep going' be part of the problem? If i'm going to shoot on rape, I like the birds to be fairly settled.

That particular field of 80 acres I shoot once a week, and another field of 150 acres I shoot twice a week. How long do to suggest I give them between visits?

That particular field of 80 acres I shoot once a week, and another field of 150 acres I shoot twice a week. How long do to suggest I give them between visits?

It is entirely up to you when you shoot them. I would leave them longer than that, unless I was fairly certain the pigeons would co-operate.

I have not shot any winter rape this 'season'. I have not seen an opportunity that is likely to produce the desired outcome. I have seen one field that I can shoot, with maybe 300 birds using it.

Edited by motty

That's Hertfordshire for you!! (and my perms in Essex) The answer is to move to Norfolk!

Old Mr Theobald does ok in Essex.

Very true, but Essex is a big county. There was a report of someone shooting 400+ near Southend, with his mates it was reported to be 900ish!! I have 1000s of acres to shoot, lots of rape but if I spend all day looking for birds I won't SEE that many, let alone shoot them.

AND, the other week, one of my fellow beaters shot 100+ in 4 hours, near Harlow, only 20 miles away. He said they flooded in, more birds coming regardless of those in front being shot. However, he did think they were Harlow "town birds", more used to feeding on bird tables and they had never seen a magnet before, let alone get shot at.

Again, geography seems to have a huge effect on pigeon shooting.