Distance from roads

adi786

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, i got one farm where i got permission to shoot now, the field is square shaped, the bottom has some farm houses the top and right side of square got roads where pedestrians/cars passes through. May i know what is the best distance or as per law distance, i should be away from roads while shooting? Heard its 100 meters.. The field is not massive so cannot go to any one end of the fields, would be sitting somewhere in between or avoiding to shoot in one direction if closer.

what would be the safest distance i should keep, quite confused as do not wanna do anything not safe... am thinking to use 28g shots only 7.5 or 6's wont be taking 32g's with me....

In the section "Pigeon Shooting Tips" above there is a post on 'distance from public paths' with a link to the BASC advice. This should help.

You dont need to keep any distance from the roadside a foot will do, all depends on the traffic on the road if its quiet then just setup behind a hedge and crack on.

Lucky in deed. You're in the hedge with your back to the road and along comes old Mrs Blenkinsopp-Smythe on her bicycle on route to arranging the village church flowers. You fire a shot, she falls off her bike, breaks her neck and you're in trouble.

In short, that's bad advice.

Lucky in deed. You're in the hedge with your back to the road and along comes old Mrs Blenkinsopp-Smythe on her bicycle on route to arranging the village church flowers. You fire a shot, she falls off her bike, breaks her neck and you're in trouble.

In short, that's bad advice.

The op asked the legal distance which my post states, a shot fired from 50 yards away would still make her jump and Im sure you would hear her coming anyway.

You dont need to keep any distance from the roadside a foot will do, all depends on the traffic on the road if its quiet then just setup behind a hedge and crack on.

You do need to be 50 feet from the centre of a highway before discharging a fire arm . So you could Proberbly stand in the fast lane of the M1 and get away with the 50 foot rule .

Harnser

As others have said there is no legal distance, i know pheasant shoots that stand guns on/just off public roads 1 drive the gun can get throu a slab of cartridges.

Read the Basc advice, the law says its only if u cause distress, fear or alarm or stop traffic are u commiting an offence, assuming u also have a 'good reason' to be there.

Just requires a bit of common sense if it is a single lane dead end track to a couple of houses is a bit different than an 'A' class busy road then the law is still the same but most would treat them differently. But if ur very close to the road u will hear and see folk coming so can stop shooting till they pass whereas if ur further away u can't

As others have said there is no legal distance, i know pheasant shoots that stand guns on/just off public roads 1 drive the gun can get throu a slab of cartridges.

Read the Basc advice, the law says its only if u cause distress, fear or alarm or stop traffic are u commiting an offence, assuming u also have a 'good reason' to be there.

Just requires a bit of common sense if it is a single lane dead end track to a couple of houses is a bit different than an 'A' class busy road then the law is still the same but most would treat them differently. But if ur very close to the road u will hear and see folk coming so can stop shooting till they pass whereas if ur further away u can't

Exactly someone else that actually knows the law, shoot from where ever you like aslong as you are on your permission and you are being safe.

It's only 50 feet from the center of the highway if it CAUSES ALARM OR HARRISMENT TO OTHER ROAD USERS

Deershooter

Nothing to do with alarm or harrasment:

In England and Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway, AND IN CONSEQUENCE A USER OF THE CARRIAGEWAY IS INJURED, INTERUPTED OR ENDANGERED [section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980 as amended]

Edited by Bobba