Distance from roads

adi786

Exactly someone else that actually knows the law, shoot from where ever you like aslong as you are on your permission and you are being safe.

Think we'll have to agree to differ on this one. As in the case of 'the occupier', this ambiguity will not be resolved until there's a test case. In spite of using vague words like "not necessarily" and "seems", let's assume that the BASC version of 'lawful authority' is correct and can therefore be ignored for our purposes. This just leaves us with the 'reasonable excuse'. I would say the BASC interpretation of this is flawed and what they actually describe is 'good (as in lawful) reason' for simply being there. A 'reasonable excuse' (to me anyway) is a plea, based on due consideration, to be exonerated from any blame for a culpable act - "I successfully fired because it was the only option to prevent a wounded rabbit being lost into inpenetrable cover."

Edited by wymberley

Think we'll have to agree to differ on this one. As in the case of 'the occupier', this ambiguity will not be resolved until there's a test case. In spite of using vague words like "not necessarily" and "seems", let's assume that the BASC version of 'lawful authority' is correct and can therefore be ignored for our purposes. This just leaves us with the 'reasonable excuse'. I would say the BASC interpretation of this is flawed and what they actually describe is 'good (as in lawful) reason' for simply being there. A 'reasonable excuse' (to me anyway) is a plea, based on due consideration, to be exonerated from any blame for a culpable act - "I successfully fired because it was the only option to prevent a wounded rabbit being lost into inpenetrable cover."

Dont get me wrong, you can shoot close or Not depending on your field I wouldnt advise shooting close if the field backed onto a main road but legally that is a different matter.

OP do u not have an experienced mate/mentor that could go out and look at the field and tell u where is safe or not, or even invite them for a days shooting always good to get a bit of craic on the day and learn how other people set things up. Every day is a school day.

I would also assume u will have to find flightlines, where pigeons are damaging crops and wind direction to contend with as well.

If the best place is fairly close to the road and it is a pretty quiet road u could soon put a couple of signs up 100m either way of ur position, not needed by law but just going that wee bit extra and trying not to cause alarm/fear

It's really about being sensible. We occasionally have a gun(s) standing almost on the road on a couple of drives BUT this is on very quiet lanes where the only traffic is farm stuff or someone lost. So as long as you keep an eye out for walkers/cyclists etc you can safely shoot. The law refers to not endangering, interrupting orvinjuring road users. Personally, even when I'm 50yds or so with my back to the road if there are cyclists, walkers or horses passing I'll hold fire until they pass and sometimes they will surprise you by offering support etc.

Crikey this thread has it all, some correct advice and some dangerous carp!

50 feet OR 15.4 metres from the centre of the CARRIAGEWAY!

Carriageway derined as;

Carriageway

A carriageway is a way which comprises all or part of a highway over which the public has a right of way for the passage of vehicles and which is not a cycle track (section 329, HA 1980). This is the fullest public right. At common law the public's rights extended to the full width of the carriageway, but statute has placed restrictions on the public's use of some kinds of carriageway, for example, motorways. Statute has also introduced footways. A footway limits the width of the highway which is a carriageway.

Carriageway derined as;

Carriageway

A carriageway is a way which comprises all or part of a highway over which the public has a right of way for the passage of vehicles and which is not a cycle track (section 329, HA 1980). This is the fullest public right. At common law the public's rights extended to the full width of the carriageway, but statute has placed restrictions on the public's use of some kinds of carriageway, for example, motorways. Statute has also introduced footways. A footway limits the width of the highway which is a carriageway.

If Monday morning works out right I will be on some rape, so not to shoot towards the road!! I will park the truck on a small pull-in, pace out from the centre of the road 18 strides (including getting through the hedge)

Set up a field hide the other side of the hedge and give it a go....

It is a "B" road with no foot path and only one house so we will see....

TEH

Carriageway derined as;

Carriageway

Read some of the above posts. You DO NOT have to be any distance from a carriageway to shoot, although in many cases it would be sensible to do so.