All done and dusted by 1:30.

JDog

There were no takers for a day out with me today. 'Having to go shopping', 'need to see Santa one more time before my fiftieth birthday' and 'there is racing on television from Ascot' would be amongst the excuses. Oh and 'bed pull' on a Saturday morning.

For me to be out and about before ten in the morning on winter rape is unusual but I wanted to find some pigeons and that may have involved driving around. Luckily I found some in the first field I looked at and I was confident that they would return and I was set up before ten.

Several factors affected my decision as to where to put the hide, the sun and strong wind being the most important. In the end I decided to put my hide at the very top of the field behind a tree to cut out the wind. This gave rise to some very unusual shooting in that the pigeons were coming all the way up the sloping field battling against the wind. When they got into the pattern they were actually below me and of the 62 pigeons I shot at least 40 were shot below the horizontal. This was not as easy as it sounds.

By 1:30 there wasn't a pigeon in the sky so I packed up. I did manage to get the last couple of races from Ascot but I never felt the need to go shopping or to see Santa.

Had someone volunteered to come out with me they could have shot at least as many as I did.

The first picture shows at a distance of 1,200m the wood from which the pigeons were travelling. The clarity of the day meant that I could see pigeons as soon as they left the wood with the sun shining on them.

DSCF0077.jpg

The second picture shows my faithful stool which has been with me for the last five years. The leg fell off just as I was getting up to shoot an incoming bird. Luckily I have a replacement.

DSCF0081.jpg

Nice morning's shooting there. I've a stool like that one in black, which has done OK over the years.

I wondered about starting a "post a picture of your stools" thread but it might get messy very quickly !

Sorry but I missed the humour in your post first time round. Best not start the thread.