ferret condition

andrew f

They need fresh meat, mine live on a diet of rabbit, pigeon, pheasant, partridge, some Muntjac trimming (when I shoot one)

What they don't have is tinned and dried food.....

If you want pictures of well fed working ferrets then I will put them up....

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

Good advice above. Mine get fresh raw meat throughout the year, and usually whole, such as hard shot pheasant, pigeons, crows, rabbits (paunched) and every now and then a raw egg with a few dried pellets. They have their full winter coats on now and are porky little bundles.

I don't feed mine everyday, at any time of year, and in the warmer weather only give small portions of fresh raw meat to avoid them ferreting away food which can go rotten and attract flies.

They need fresh meat, mine live on a diet of rabbit, pigeon, pheasant, partridge, some Muntjac trimming (when I shoot one)

What they don't have is tinned and dried food.....

If you want pictures of well fed working ferrets then I will put them up....

TEH

I don't think fresh meat is 'needed'. Mine are fine on any complete dry dog/cat biscuits. I do feed them plenty of meat at times; probably too much, as the recent goose carcasses made them as fat as hell.

I don't think fresh meat is 'needed'. Mine are fine on any complete dry dog/cat biscuits. I do feed them plenty of meat at times; probably too much, as the recent goose carcasses made them as fat as hell.

Well Wane, in the wild they would kill what they could and eat that so it would be fresh until it was all gone or rotten....

We all experience a ferret killing....All the fat and other parts plus having to work at eating it is a natural thing.

People can feed them what they like, however I try to keep it close to what I feel is best for them, mine get a raw egg once in a while as well..

Balance is the thing and there are no dry dog/cat biscuits in the wild...let alone tinned cat food.

TEH

Well Wane, in the wild they would kill what they could and eat that so it would be fresh until it was all gone or rotten....

We all experience a ferret killing....All the fat and other parts plus having to work at eating it is a natural thing.

People can feed them what they like, however I try to keep it close to what I feel is best for them, mine get a raw egg once in a while as well..

Balance is the thing and there are no dry dog/cat biscuits in the wild...let alone tinned cat food.

TEH

Have you got any dogs? and if so do you feed them on a BARF diet? My ferrets get James wellbeloved dry ferret food through the summer (suplimented with meat and fish) and mostly fresh meat in winter. They do ok this and I would say get them used to dry food in case you run short on fresh.

Mine get Dry ferret food (alpha) along with fresh rabbit chicken wings and whole eggs in the shell.

Cat/dog food not good enough for them.

With there fast metabolism they need a high protein diet as there food passes through them within around 4 hours, You don't really need to worm ferrets because of the digestion period being so quick.

Mine get Dry ferret food (alpha) along with fresh rabbit chicken wings and whole eggs in the shell.

Cat/dog food not good enough for them.

With there fast metabolism they need a high protein diet as there food passes through them within around 4 hours, You don't really need to worm ferrets because of the digestion period being so quick.

Are you a nutritional expert? I'm not, but my ferrets seem perfectly fit and strong on the hugely varied diet that I feed them. They get exactly the same food as my dogs and other bits and pieces as I see fit, including a good bit of meat.

Are you a nutritional expert? I'm not, but my ferrets seem perfectly fit and strong on the hugely varied diet that I feed them. They get exactly the same food as my dogs and other bits and pieces as I see fit, including a good bit of meat.

No I am not Wane , just expressing my opinion as we all do on here, this just happens to be on what I feed my ferrets, I am sure yours do very well on what you feed them on.

TEH