ferret condition

andrew f

Merry Christmas to you, too. Will you be seeing Pete over the festive period?

Only to drop off some chocolate's for Fran....There is a 6.2 tide coming up, so I recon we will be out on both sides of the river...

I shot on his farmers day invite the other week I shot 11 out of a 44 bag for 6 guns....+ I got a fox...he watched it come past him and never got past me lol

TEH

Only to drop off some chocolate's for Fran....There is a 6.2 tide coming up, so I recon we will be out on both sides of the river...

I shot on his farmers day invite the other week I shot 11 out of a 44 bag for 6 guns....+ I got a fox...he watched it come past him and never got past me lol

TEH

I should be down for a shoot on the 30th if you're about.

I don't think fresh meat is 'needed'. Mine are fine on any complete dry dog/cat biscuits. I do feed them plenty of meat at times; probably too much, as the recent goose carcasses made them as fat as hell.

Depends how you look at it. They will survive on dry ferret food but change them over to a meat diet and you will see a huge difference, I know this because I used to feed dry. Within a few weeks better coats more energy and they don't **** half as much on a meat diet as they do on the dry. Apart from anything else as ferreters and shooters we have access to rabbits pigeons etc for free so why spend our hard earned money on dry food? Not trying to start an argument we all have our own way.

Firstly there not cat's so why are you feeding whiskers cat food ?. dry grub's okay for summer feeding if you want to cut down on the flies , but the big clue is the large teeth ferrets have there carnivores there meant to eat meat , Ive a few here and there fed meat all year round , rabbits 3/4 of the year and when i run out chicken carcasses the only difference is during the summer theres a bit more work i feed late on at night when theres no fly's and remove all the remains next morning . I look for a full days ferreting from mine and with your feeding regime it looks like they are not getting enough to keep there selfs in condition never mind the stamia to last a day's graft

Firstly there not cat's so why are you feeding whiskers cat food ?. dry grub's okay for summer feeding if you want to cut down on the flies , but the big clue is the large teeth ferrets have there carnivores there meant to eat meat , Ive a few here and there fed meat all year round , rabbits 3/4 of the year and when i run out chicken carcasses the only difference is during the summer theres a bit more work i feed late on at night when theres no fly's and remove all the remains next morning . I look for a full days ferreting from mine and with your feeding regime it looks like they are not getting enough to keep there selfs in condition never mind the stamia to last a day's graft

Dogs have large teeth for eating meat. Do you feed raw meat to your dog?

If you want to feed your ferrets meat all year round, then I've found a good diversionary technique is to plop some of the meat (entrails work best as they' re the smelliest) in a jar outside the hutch or run, and the flies will feast on that and lay their eggs on it. When they turn into maggots empty the jar onto your compost heap for the birds to feed on. It works best if you clean up your ferrets toilet on a regular basis of course.

If you want to feed your ferrets meat all year round, then I've found a good diversionary technique is to plop some of the meat (entrails work best as they' re the smelliest) in a jar outside the hutch or run, and the flies will feast on that and lay their eggs on it. When they turn into maggots empty the jar onto your compost heap for the birds to feed on. It works best if you clean up your ferrets toilet on a regular basis of course.

I do a similar thing when summer pigeon shooting, tear open 2-3 birds and put them away from the hide....

It does make a difference with far less flies around....

TEH

Dogs have large teeth for eating meat. Do you feed raw meat to your dog?

Yep its called a BARF diet

You get a problem with flys during the summer theres a product called sterling fly bags roughly a £5 each add a little water and the flys walk in and drown a bag lasts all summer

Are you a nutritional expert? I'm not, but my ferrets seem perfectly fit and strong on the hugely varied diet that I feed them. They get exactly the same food as my dogs and other bits and pieces as I see fit, including a good bit of meat.

No I'm not, You don't need to be a nutritionist to have a opinion.

Your ferrets may do well on what u feed them which is great.

When I got my ferrets i used to feed cat food along with fresh meat and a vet advised me it doesn't have a high enough protein content

Edited by Wearborne

• 2 weeks later...

Had ferrets for 35 yrs now

Been feeding them the same thing for about 25yrs, Breeders pack cat crunch and two eggs every day.never had any problems with a couple living over 8 years.

One of the main things is keeping them warm and dry,that way there not burning fat to keep warm.

Don't scrimp on bedding,mine have shredded paper bedding and about a three inch covering of wood shavings over the rest of the hutch.

Never wormed mine ever.