fac air gun

roostshooter1

Brilliant thanks very much for the info i will get my paper work written up and sent in ready for the new year many thanks guys :)

don't forget as quoted above ,,not to forget to put moderator down as well and yes once granted you can get whatever you want,,even the 303 Daystate wolverine running at 100ftlb

hope you get it and Enjoy

atb Evo

Mine is a theoben rapid in .20 running @ about 18ftlbs, they are popular for FAC because of the high pellet count. I rarely use it for rabbits at 60 / 70 yards as I think you are better off with a rimfire at those sort of distances. Where the FAC air comes into its own is where a potential rimfire ricochet could damage animals / property and for shooting into trees where you would not use a rimfire. No doubt there are people on here who use FAC air at those distances, possibly running their air rifles @ higher ftlbs than I do so I hope you get some more oppinions / replys to this post.

I use a Daystate mvt adjusts from 500fps-1299fps at the pull of the trigger and a flick of a switch great

an fac rifle is a great rifle to use between a .25 rat rifle at sub 12 to a .17hmr

will always have a place in my safe great for rabbits at up to 60 yard need 3 inch of holdover at 70 compared to 1 at 60 with a 53 yard zero after 70 drops like a stone

your best bet is a .22 at 30lb , 30 is good for air conservation when using air arms 15.9 grain which proves to be a good fac pellet good hitting power

I adjust mine to 40lb when using bisley magnums at 40 the trajectory is the same as the air arms at 30

as mentioned the fac rifle is good for shots you could not take with a rimfire

Edited by psycho

Holy hell 100 ftlb 303 that will be a rabbit bashing monster :) i will put moderator down seperately same as my rifles

Does anybody currently use an fac theoben rapid and how do they find it for 60 70 yard rabbits

There can be a very difficult balance for some in rifle choice, I run 12ft lb, and FAC air, and a selection of rimfires, 60-70 yards in the normal course of events falls in the .22lr category for me.

Of course there are exceptions, that's why I run such a variety of rifles. My FAC air is .22 and around 25-26ft lb and is perfectly capable at 60-70 yards if I do my part, but if I'm after rabbits at that distance I will almost always reach for the better choice, .22lr. :yes::yes:

On the basis they are both FAC, the massive variety/power of ammo available for .22lr, and the costs/return on FAC Air, consider the .22lr carefully before settling on FAC air!

:good:

I already have a 22lr sako finnfire hunter but alot of my ground in the winter is so wet due to being on the somerset levels that the 22lr does get alot of ricochets i even resorted to using a 22_250 with 40 grain ballistic tips on some of them so thought a 22 fac air would give me a better option than the 22lr

I have a 12lb Webley Viper .22 PCP, which served me very well for years on 30 yard rabbits. When I put in for my FAC, I was granted .22 air, .22lr and .17 HMR. I bought a Career 707 carbine, which, judging by the 4mm transfer port, was giving 80lb. I fitted a new transfer port drilled to 2.5mm and got 28lb on a crono. This rifle was zeroed to 40 yards with Bisley Magnums and regularly takes rabbits to 50 yards and beyond with hold over, on one of my non rimfire permissions. On a 3000psi charge, I get ten full power shots, before holdover is needed with the Magnums, AA Field about 15. Most of my hunting with this rifle is in the 25 to 40 yard range, the longer shots, when I arrive, shooting across an open field to a hedge line. The owners have horses in the far field and I can't chance a ricochet. On my other permissions, it's .22lr, or the HMR every time, depending on the lie of the land.

• 3 months later...

FAC is need for any airifle is any rifle over 11,5ftlbs

i got mine up to 90ftlbs ! much cheaper than my mates 22 rimfire ,he went thru a fortune of bullets last weekend 500 accupells much cheaper and AIR !!!

Kiteandy

You seem to be miss informed on both accounts.

FAC Air is any rifle over 12 ft/lb

If you look at the cost of buying FAC air, the running could be cheaper so your 1/2 correct, but the cost of buying the set up is far far greater than a 22lr.

Air tank £200 the Rifle its self if you get a 2nd hand AA 300 thats around £300, scope Mod.

Or a 2nd hand 22lr for £150 scope £100, bullets £3.80 for 50 so yes the bullets are dearer than a tin of pellets which are now twice nearly what i used to pay.

So balance out some/not all FAC air and you could be looking at £1000.00 +

Indecently what rifle have you got that thats doing 90ft/lb thats quite impressive

When shooting fullbore at 1000yrds, it is said to be a requirement for bullets to stay supersonic out to the target, because they become unstable as they fall back to subsonic speeds. At what range do supersonic airgun pellets drop back though the sound barrier? Perhaps this is the maximum distance for accuracy.

MR Bowkett lives in other side of Birmingham , showed me how the cigar unit works when i he tuned my gun the first time , but he had to reduce it as i forgot my ticket ,

so i spent some time rebuilding the cigar unit , to get more air through per cycle , and a freind who works in machine shop made a custom transfer port even wider than the FAC version

allso fitted custom strong hammerspring , this keeps the hammer open longer to let more air in ,

playing with different pellets i found accupells are so consistant ,and accurate

MR Bowkett lives in other side of Birmingham , showed me how the cigar unit works when i he tuned my gun the first time , but he had to reduce it as i forgot my ticket ,

so i spent some time rebuilding the cigar unit , to get more air through per cycle , and a freind who works in machine shop made a custom transfer port even wider than the FAC version

allso fitted custom strong hammerspring , this keeps the hammer open longer to let more air in ,

playing with different pellets i found accupells are so consistant ,and accurate

Not at 90ft/lbs they won't be......... :lol::lol:

Kiteandy,

I am assuming you have got some number's mixed up, As far as I am aware the heaviest accupel is less the 15grains. Now to reach 90 foot lb you would need to be pushing that pellet over 1350 feet per second and then some they just wont go that fast without blowing skirts, and accuracy will be all over the place, I can only suggest you get your chronograph checked.

If all you say is correct then I'm amazed, and I'll travel the length of the country to see such a spectacle.

Dougy