advice for newcomer please

treetree

I'm new to shooting but have managed to get a few fields of permission. The field system is typical cornwall; grass for silage (so no crops to draw in the birds) and fields divided by healthy looking hedges (but I've not got a dog for driving birds out)

There are a few decent sized trees that can attract pigeons during the day, but nothing that will draw birds in to roost. Also, no evident flight lines.

It's the only permission I've got, so am keen to make the best of it (and becoming slightly obsessed by it in the process.

Any ideas how I can make the best of difficult situations?

Many thanks.

What are you talking about shooting pigeons ? if so there is very little you can do , pigeon will go where the food is and that is rarely on grass , though if it has plenty of clover in it could attract a few , it could also be possible to decoy them if there are good numbers crossing your grass fields to feed elsewhere.

Dairy farm land can be very productive to the shooter. As always though you will get out what you put in. Any walked up game will benefit from good vermin control, corvids, foxes, stoats/weasels etc.

During silage and hay making good bags of corvids can be made.

As for the pigeons, many good bags can be taken throughout the year on clover and occasional fodder crops like maize and Kale during winter. Reconnaissance is key study your land through binoculars whenever you get the chance, you will soon start to notice yearly patterns in movement.

I shoot over many acres of arable land now but the 1 Diary farm i shoot over is very valuble in terms in sporting oppertunitys. Keep the farmer happy and look after the patch it could well be good land for years to come.

Good luck.

Dairy farm land can be very productive to the shooter. As always though you will get out what you put in. Any walked up game will benefit from good vermin control, corvids, foxes, stoats/weasels etc.

During silage and hay making good bags of corvids can be made.

As for the pigeons, many good bags can be taken throughout the year on clover and occasional fodder crops like maize and Kale during winter. Reconnaissance is key study your land through binoculars whenever you get the chance, you will soon start to notice yearly patterns in movement.

I shoot over many acres of arable land now but the 1 Diary farm i shoot over is very valuble in terms in sporting oppertunitys. Keep the farmer happy and look after the patch it could well be good land for years to come.

Good luck.

+1

I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm but I suggest you read and familiarise yourself with the terms of the general licence.

You shouldn't really be shooting pigeons over a non-predated crop like pasture land. Technically you would be in breach of the wildlife and countryside act.

A recent incident near me is testimony of this. Two pigeon shooters were turned away from a Dairy Farm by the local police because of a public complaint about the noise. Although they had permission to be there one of the officers who I know personally...told the two bluntly....there are no crops here and your actions are causing a public disturbance.. It would have been interesting to see what the legal outcome would have been had they been cautioned or worse.!

I don't know what the area is like, where your fields are, or if there is any residential areas adjacent but if there is, it will only take one nimby to raise a complaint if the area hasn't been regularly shot over previously and you will have great difficulty justifying your actions.

If this is the case....Softly softly catchy monkey....I would concentrate on rabbits, squirrels etc and build up the frequency of your shooting gradually.... its unlikely in my experience that decoying over grassland or silage pasture will be productive anyway...other than the odd time, when one shot and they will be gone anyway.

If you try and shoot your fields too frequently, any local pigeon will avoid the area like the plague.

Good Luck

Clover?

I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm but I suggest you read and familiarise yourself with the terms of the general licence.

You shouldn't really be shooting pigeons over a non-predated crop like pasture land. Technically you would be in breach of the wildlife and countryside act.

A recent incident near me is testimony of this. Two pigeon shooters were turned away from a Dairy Farm by the local police because of a public complaint about the noise. Although they had permission to be there one of the officers who I know personally...told the two bluntly....there are no crops here and your actions are causing a public disturbance.. It would have been interesting to see what the legal outcome would have been had they been cautioned or worse.!

I don't know what the area is like, where your fields are, or if there is any residential areas adjacent but if there is, it will only take one nimby to raise a complaint if the area hasn't been regularly shot over previously and you will have great difficulty justifying your actions.

If this is the case....Softly softly catchy monkey....I would concentrate on rabbits, squirrels etc and build up the frequency of your shooting gradually.... its unlikely in my experience that decoying over grassland or silage pasture will be productive anyway...other than the odd time, when one shot and they will be gone anyway.

If you try and shoot your fields too frequently, any local pigeon will avoid the area like the plague.

Good Luck

Good Luck

Well worth knowing, thanks. Certainly finding that I see fewer pigeons about (not that I'm looking to shoot at them you understand)

There is always an option to use an air rifle instead of a shotgun, The largest permission I had access to when I was a bit more Southern was arable land. The majority of my time was spent using ferrets with some sniping with the air rifle and the odd walk around with a shotgun. For me its not the numbers that count, it's the experience of spending time away from it all, being one with nature and all that! :lol: