zeroing new gun

babs2020

Hi

I would suggest you look at one of the on-line ballistics programs and then work from there - testing your rifle and chosen bullets at the different ranges you are likely to use.

An alternative that is usually considered a good general rule is an inch high at 100yds - should work for most practical ranges.

L

Edited by Loki

All joking aside, if you look at a balistic program you will perhaps see that there is a point about thirty yards away that is almost the same as 150 or thereabouts. Now, if you set up a chunk of cardboard with an aiming mark which can be a letter in the printing on the cardboard at about thirty yards it will give an indication as to where you are pointing to. If for instance you are about 2 inches out in any direction then you can in about 3 shots adjust it to zero. Then you can take it out to 50 and then to 100 or whatever without using up about 50 rounds trying to get it on the button. I've seen people get in a complete knot and shoot a ton of ammo trying to get zeroed.

All joking aside, if you look at a balistic program you will perhaps see that there is a point about thirty yards away that is almost the same as 150 or thereabouts. Now, if you set up a chunk of cardboard with an aiming mark which can be a letter in the printing on the cardboard at about thirty yards it will give an indication as to where you are pointing to. If for instance you are about 2 inches out in any direction then you can in about 3 shots adjust it to zero. Then you can take it out to 50 and then to 100 or whatever without using up about 50 rounds trying to get it on the button. I've seen people get in a complete knot and shoot a ton of ammo trying to get zeroed.

good tip there mate :good:

iv just fired 50 hmr bullets with my new (s/h) rifle at a 4x4'' target at 50 yards and didnt hit once - please come and zero my gun or this is going to get very expensive :lol:

Hi

I always use a big sheet of cardboard stapled on a pallet and draw measured crosses on it

+ 4 inches start at the one in the centre at 50 yards if its been bore sighted and a bench rest lowest Magnificat on the scope and adjust parallax and eye relief to suit

Left or right until its on center line then up or down until its on or a bit high then move back to the distance I'm going to shoot at

Note if a big scope is fitted with high mounts a bullet may be still rising on a 222 at 100 yards if zeroed 1inch high

I then fit the moderater and check zero again

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

😀 Then its a easy calculation for hold over to hit a flea on the back of a rabbit at 700 yards 😗😗😊😃

As I am a tight *** I get a large cardboard box and stick a couple of one inch squares of black tape onto the box. Put three shots on the target at 100 yards (.17 hmr and .243, or 150 yards on the .270). This lets you know where the shots are then you can adjust accordingly.

The black squares work well at night as well if you have night vision scopes.

May seem a bit daft saving money by shooting a box with tape on when you are putting rounds through a rifle at £1.50 a pop :lol:

As I am a tight *** I get a large cardboard box and stick a couple of one inch squares of black tape onto the box. Put three shots on the target at 100 yards (.17 hmr and .243, or 150 yards on the .270). This lets you know where the shots are then you can adjust accordingly.

The black squares work well at night as well if you have night vision scopes.

May seem a bit daft saving money by shooting a box with tape on when you are putting rounds through a rifle at £1.50 a pop :lol:

When zeroing nightvision I use a tiny bit of hi viz off a hi viz jacket, shines up like a Bunnys eye.