Dress/gear for clay shooting.

HuskyRich

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but I'm in the process of kitting myself out at the moment as I'm a new shooter and have signed up for some lessons at the local shooting school but was wondering if there's a 'dress code' as such as a lot of the people that go there seem to be upper class type people with their tweed, hunter wellies and range rovers etc... Just wondering if turning up in jeans and a t-shirt is going to get me some looks of contempt?
Also, I need to look into getting a gillet or shooting vest and was wondering if there was anything reasonable and 'casual' in respect to style and price... Not really up for 'tweeding' myself out if you know what I mean?
Also if I'm wearing a fleece or a jacket when it's cold will a shooting vest still be practical?

No offence meant to the more traditional shooters, but I'm going to a clay range to break some clays... I don't see the point in spending loads of money on expensive clothes and gear. It's not like I'm off to a posh shoot on the grounds of some stately home...
Plus I'd look like the end of a bell.

Hi

It shouldn't matter what you wear however I would suggest a type of skeet vest large pockets for cartridges

It also will have a patch on the shoulder to stop your gun catching on it

I think you can get a top gun one for about £40

A good investment in my opinion

Your coach will give you more advice

Hope you enjoy the sport

All the best

Of

No need for tweed or any other 'posh' country attire to shoot clays. Wear anything you likeke that is comfortable and not so restrictive or bulky it affects your gun mount. Ear and eye protection are the only things which you should consider as essential.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Hi

It shouldn't matter what you wear however I would suggest a type of skeet vest large pockets for cartridges

It also will have a patch on the shoulder to stop your gun catching on it

I think you can get a top gun one for about £40

A good investment in my opinion

Your coach will give you more advice

Hope you enjoy the sport

All the best

Of

What he said

I used to love seeing the posh people with their £10k + guns on the skeet that can't hit nothing. I used my £190 rizzini and managed 24/25 and walk away with a smile on my face .

I'll add I've since bought better kit and shoot **** lol

Don't wear camo,or look like you've just stepped off a building site,apart from that comfortable smart wear that doesn't snag etc.Guns are dangerous and to me, looking like you take the sport seriously is important,you don't walk onto a golf course looking like you just shovelled 4 tonnes of carp,even if you do play off 5.

I shoot at everything from a straw bale shoot to "proper clay grounds" I like to feel that I blend in and look responsible,i'm not a snob but people are more likely to chat and offer advice if you look more in keeping with the sport,Jeans and T-shirts are fine but a skeet vest is good,you don't want to stand in the cage digging carts out of your trouser pocket.

I have Camo,and use it in the field,but I don't wear it at the clay grounds.

Oh of course I'd not dream of turning up looking like a hillbilly, but also I don't feel the need to overdo it either.

Most of my clothes are fairly outdoorsy as I work & play outside so will be either be decent jeans or craghopper type trousers and just plain old shirts and fleece etc.

Wear comfortable none restrictive clothes and comfortable foot wear (no high heels)

I've taught people in all sort but a ladie that turned up in a nice ack dress and high heels got lent a pair of wellies.

Have alook around but a jacket that you can mount the gun in is very very useful almost essential avoid puffer type coats a Skeet vest helps with this but are certainly not vital.

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but I'm in the process of kitting myself out at the moment as I'm a new shooter and have signed up for some lessons at the local shooting school but was wondering if there's a 'dress code' as such as a lot of the people that go there seem to be upper class type people with their tweed, hunter wellies and range rovers etc... Just wondering if turning up in jeans and a t-shirt is going to get me some looks of contempt?

Also, I need to look into getting a gillet or shooting vest and was wondering if there was anything reasonable and 'casual' in respect to style and price... Not really up for 'tweeding' myself out if you know what I mean?

Also if I'm wearing a fleece or a jacket when it's cold will a shooting vest still be practical?

No offence meant to the more traditional shooters, but I'm going to a clay range to break some clays... I don't see the point in spending loads of money on expensive clothes and gear. It's not like I'm off to a posh shoot on the grounds of some stately home...

Plus I'd look like the end of a bell.

I feel your pain. Likewise, would feel disingenuous 'tweeding myself out' as I wasn't 'to the manor born' nor am I a gamekeeper.

Sadly, the sport will always have an element of snobbery around it, and I've found even the 'straw bale' shoots are now littered with the Range Rover & Grade 5 stock brigade, all suitably 'tweeded out'.

Live and let live, wear what you feel is comfortable and appropriate, avoid day glo track suits, and enjoy yourself. How you handle the gun, your manners, attitude to safety and awareness of your surroundings will make a far bigger impression on people than your clothes.

If you feel uneasy, just imagine that one of your 'tweeded out' brethren might be wondering if you're looking at him thinking that he looks like 'the end of a bell' :)

Wellies defo wellies, I don't wear a vest don't like them I just wear jeans and my seeland marsh coat does me, there is 1 fella on our ground who comes head to toe in camo, I don't get it on a clay ground tbh from head to toe including his semi auto is all camo, If he stands by the trees I loose him!!!!!!

Most of all enjoy it and the banter,

The last clay shoot I went to it was the Jack Pyke real tree jacket that seemed the must-have accessory, mixed in with a few shooting vests, one in tweeds & a deerstalker, and on one guy a full DPM boiler suit.

Out of all of the above I'd say it was only old Hooray Henry in the deerstalker that looked a little excessive to me, but each to their own.

Edited by DeepThought

Wellies defo wellies, I don't wear a vest don't like them I just wear jeans and my seeland marsh coat does me, there is 1 fella on our ground who comes head to toe in camo, I don't get it on a clay ground tbh from head to toe including his semi auto is all camo, If he stands by the trees I loose him!!!!!!

Most of all enjoy it and the banter,

I get this if its what he normally shoots in ie wild fowling etc. same as tweed jacket for a game shooter. I would expect a rugby player to train in a darts shirt.

Shoot in what your comfortable in if your practising for something wear that rig.

Guest cookoff013

just dress comfortable and sensible.

wear either warm clothes, or cool depending on the weather...

also at one place i shoot, it appears wellies or a canoe are in order.

I get this if its what he normally shoots in ie wild fowling etc. same as tweed jacket for a game shooter. I would expect a rugby player to train in a darts shirt.

Shoot in what your comfortable in if your practising for something wear that rig.

im with ww you where what you find comfy and what you usually where to shoot in . if all you do is shoot clays where what the heck you want if you want to be in with the iv just paid £000000 for my new skeet vest glasses and all the rest to look like a advertisement for a well known gun maker that's up to you. but if you do vermin control and you where what you use in the field as little as a change of jacket can alter your point of aim.

just dress comfortable and sensible.

wear either warm clothes, or cool depending on the weather...

also at one place i shoot, it appears wellies or a canoe are in order.

is that steel only as it sounds like its wetlands lol

Ay up fella,dont worry about how you dress just go in whatevers comfortable to you,be yourself,be polite,be safe,and have FUN.You do get the odd 10pence millionare and the odd posh fellow at clay shoots but take no notice they usually cant shoot their 10grand gun straight anyway!youll find 99% of people at shoots are sound as a pound.first time i went i went in jeans t shirt n trainers and had an 80quid pump action and a carrier bag full of shells and many an eyebrow was raised.it was a great day out!

Guest cookoff013

im with ww you where what you find comfy and what you usually where to shoot in . if all you do is shoot clays where what the heck you want if you want to be in with the iv just paid £000000 for my new skeet vest glasses and all the rest to look like a advertisement for a well known gun maker that's up to you. but if you do vermin control and you where what you use in the field as little as a change of jacket can alter your point of aim.

is that steel only as it sounds like its wetlands lol

no, its because the clay area is prone to flooding, got fed up with wet feet. also if wellies, take a spare pare of socks, and a big plastic bag to keep the wet wellies in the car.

I think the best thing is as has been said by many others, wear something comfortable that won't restrict movement that is suited to the weather.

I do have a skeet vest, and a winter "clay shooting" coat and tend to pick what the weather dictates.

Summer (if we have one) the skeet vest and a t-shirt and jeans or 3/4 length shorts with walking boots or trainers.

Autumn and Spring (as long as it's not raining) a hoody, sweatshirt or fleece under the skeet vest, jeans or cargo trousers walking boots or wellies.

Winter would be the winter jacket (it's kept me warm when it's been -4C at the ground), jeans, wellies or walking boots (with good warm socks) macwet gloves and a thin "benny cap".

One thing I will say is that dedicated clay vests and shooting jacket's tend to have pockets that will hold anything from 50-75 shells per pocket while giving good manoeuvrability and places to tuck other bits and bobs away. If you shoot a lot they are a good investment just as is good ear and eye protection!

Just reading this back to myself, it really does seem I dress for comfort and utility on the clay ground, while trying to not look too scruffy. I've never had a negative comment on how I dress and I've seen everything from the tweed wearers to the cammo brigade and non of them have ever been anything but friendly :D

Edited by derfley