Advice on First shotgun

Ben Lawrence

Hey guys I sent off for my sgc end of November and am just waiting now, I'm really undecided on what gun to go for, second hand or new? Il have around £600-£700 to spend. My stepdad has a browning b525 o/u which I really like but haven't got the £1300 for one an haven't seen a second hand one for less than £999! Cheers

Personally having been in the same position recently, I'd go for a second hand bit of kit but most importantly go and look around several shops and try as many as you can as you'll want something that feels right to you. I originally had my mind set on a particular gun but it turned out that the stock was WAY too long for me and I just actually didn't like the feel and fit of it.

Plus definitely go for something cheaper initially. In the end I found a cracking o/u in mint condition for just less than £250 that fit me like a glove and just feels perfect for me. When I get better or branch out into other shooting I'll look at something else, but at least then I'll still have a basic cheap gun I can go out with doing a bit of rough or such and not have to worry about getting it ruined :)

Plus who knows, this time next year you could have got fed up of it all and your gun could have been sitting in the cabinet for 6 months not having been used :)

I think I went around 5 shops before finding the right one. Started with a budget of £300, which quickly went to £600 and spending £995 on a gun which fits like a glove. As my second gun I bought a s/h kestrel two weeks ago for £250 and it turns out I shoot better with it! Like both of them equally and I don't regret spending so much on the first one, but make sure that fit is the first priority not looks :good:

I think I went around 5 shops before finding the right one. Started with a budget of £300, which quickly went to £600 and spending £995 on a gun which fits like a glove. As my second gun I bought a s/h kestrel two weeks ago for £250 and it turns out I shoot better with it! Like both of them equally and I don't regret spending so much on the first one, but make sure that fit is the first priority not looks :good:

Thanks for the sound advise

You can get a 525 for £800 ish with haggling.

Or a miroku (who make Brownings ) for a bit less.

Gordon got a stonking deal not many for that money but I got a 3800 the predecessor for that sort of money (fixed choke) not long ago 20 year old gun

Edited by HDAV

2nd hand.look at Miroku mk38/60/70 or browning /325/425s if u like 525s.........pretty much same thing and to me 525 is not much different.remember if you buy new you are paying 20% in vat & initial margin.You might need to stretch bubget to £700-800 but they are out there. guntrader a good website to give you feel for pricing...

I dont believe in buying cheap as first gun ull only regret it 6 months down the line buy best you can afford and ull save money in the long run

Only if you buy something that was **** in the first place.

there's a lot of quality second hand guns out there for not a lot of money that will see most people perfectly fine for years and years.

theres really no justification for spending over the odds when for a lot of people they will never be at at level where spending silly £££ is ever going to be an advantage.

If a few years down the line they get to a point where they need a particularly super-duper gun then by then they will have the kowledge and skill to be able to be able to sort themselves out.