Any vets? Sick puppy swolen face and vomiting

alexl

Hi, I know this may be the wrong area but I'm hoping it may get a bit more traffic in here.

I've just got back from the vets after taking my 8month old Lab pup in. Last night at about 2am she woke up and vomited undigested food (I had a quick look through it and found nothing suspect) Other than vomiting once she seemed ok, and was still running about as usual. This morning she still seemed fine but ate her food a little slower than she usually would, she went to the toilet fine and again was running about behaving normally.

She went into day care with my other dogs today and when she was picked up she again seemed fine, no one mentioned any unusual behaviour. After arriving back home at about 5.30pm she tried to go to the toilet but couldn't, about half an hour later she vomited undigested food with what looked like a poo in it (last time she ate was 6.30am). Her condition rapidly deteriorated from then on, by the time I arrived home about an hour after this her face has swollen quite a bit mainly around the eyes and on her muzzle. She seemed really poorly, very lethargic and weak didn't want to stand eat or drink. I've rushed her to the vet and she's being kept in for blood tests and monitoring as well as going onto a drip. I'm quite concerned as she rapidly took a turn for the worse and was ill enough to get me quite worried.

Initially I thought it maybe a blockage, but cant see why this would swell her face, the vet did give her a thorough check over and there was no hardness around the stomach or any sign of discomfort as he prodded her about. I don't think he suspects there is a blockage from the examination.

The vet cant think of any cause which would mean both symptoms are linked, and thinks maybe they are two separate issues? Has anyone ever seen or heard of something similar in their dogs?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Alex

im not a vet or anything related but would an allergic reaction not cause something like that? similar to a human with peanut allergy?just a thought!

my cocker spaniel had the same once, took him to vets and got tablets and a tube of stuff like brown toothpaste, he was okay after a day or so. I put it down to something he ate when he was running about in the woods.

I'm wondering if it could be an allergic reaction, the swollen face certainly looks like you'd get from one. She has a temperamental stomach and only suits certain foods so id imagine she does have allergies.

No Rat poison about your area is there?.

The vet did ask if she could have eaten anything unusual, we only have cleaning products and were pretty sure she couldn't have got any of them without us noticing. The day care she was at is a dedicated boarding kennel so I hope they have enough sense to not put any poison down, im going to give them a call first thing and see if they noticed anything.

I'm hoping after she gets some fluids she'll improve because the poor little thing was in a bit of a bad way, she didn't even want to lift her head.

Just do as your vet advices fella, there is one vet on here, and he'd say the same I'd imagine.

Good luck.

Thanks, hopefully shell be ok,. I've got to say I do trust this vet he does seem good from previous experience, im just hoping someone may have seen the same before.

Hi, I know this may be the wrong area but I'm hoping it may get a bit more traffic in here.

I've just got back from the vets after taking my 8month old Lab pup in. Last night at about 2am she woke up and vomited undigested food (I had a quick look through it and found nothing suspect) Other than vomiting once she seemed ok, and was still running about as usual. This morning she still seemed fine but ate her food a little slower than she usually would, she went to the toilet fine and again was running about behaving normally.

She went into day care with my other dogs today and when she was picked up she again seemed fine, no one mentioned any unusual behaviour. After arriving back home at about 5.30pm she tried to go to the toilet but couldn't, about half an hour later she vomited undigested food with what looked like a poo in it (last time she ate was 6.30am). Her condition rapidly deteriorated from then on, by the time I arrived home about an hour after this her face has swollen quite a bit mainly around the eyes and on her muzzle. She seemed really poorly, very lethargic and weak didn't want to stand eat or drink. I've rushed her to the vet and she's being kept in for blood tests and monitoring as well as going onto a drip. I'm quite concerned as she rapidly took a turn for the worse and was ill enough to get me quite worried.

Initially I thought it maybe a blockage, but cant see why this would swell her face, the vet did give her a thorough check over and there was no hardness around the stomach or any sign of discomfort as he prodded her about. I don't think he suspects there is a blockage from the examination.

The vet cant think of any cause which would mean both symptoms are linked, and thinks maybe they are two separate issues? Has anyone ever seen or heard of something similar in their dogs?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Alex

There is a whole host of possibilities which link the two conditions.. severe allergic reaction to a bite or sting being one ingestion of chemicals can be another..did the vet check for any teeth problems?

Just spoken with the vet and she's not improved at all overnight, he's going to sedate her and do x-rays and scans to look for any foreign bodies.

I've not seen her wee to know if there was any blood in in, ill ask the vet if she's gone to the toilet since being in. Id imagine she hasn't as she's been loosing fluid vomiting all night.

Does anyone know of a friendly vet who wouldn't mind quickly talking on the phone?

Thanks to everyone who has given answers, but im really getting worried about her now

Have had the same problem with my two cocker pups in past few weeks. Both have recovered well. My vet reckons it was an ingested problem. Have your hedges been cut recently? We put it down to some poisonous plant material. Adder bite, bee sting and wasp stings were also discussed (It had been mild.) Rodenticide poisoning is probably not the cause as you would see some rectal/urine blood staining. Hope all goes well. Mcleod

Really hope that the vet can figure out the problem today and you get her back for Christmas, I can totally empathise with how you feel.

Keep your chin up.

Thank you its much appreciated, I knew id be upset if anything happened to any of my dogs but ive got to say this has really hit me. My stomach was turned upsidown and I got really panicked when I home yesterday and saw how ill she was.

The vet just phoned and said the ultrasound and x-ray are both suggesting there's a bowel blockage, he mentioned a sock or something, which would make sense as any opportunity she get she in the washing and will always run off carrying a sock. I'm relieved that they've found something, and he's going to operate now but he has warned me bowel operations are quite dangerous.

Still doesn't explain why her face has swollen only thing I can think of is some kind of blood poisoning? im not sure whether this would cause facial swelling.

Hope all turns out ok. They are a worry aren't they. My old cocker (11) was quite poorly recently. Frequent vomiting and very listless. Had lots of test (expensive of course) which were completely inconclusive. Vet said it could be a food intolerance . Changed his diet and he stopped vomiting and is now back to his normal self. Which is weird as he has been on the same food for years.