30" or 32" barrels ?

Reiver XXV

Hi

Looking to get back into Sporting clay shooting and looking for opinions on the pros and cons of 30 inch V 32 inch barrels ? I will use the gun for clays mostly with some days at pigeons/ crows. I am looking at a Browning A1 30" Teague multichoke, an oldy but a goody or a Beretta 682 old silver action 32" multichoke. Any advice opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Reiver XXV

The Beretta will almost certainly be less hassle to own as they're very resilient to rust and age well, very cheap and easy to rebuild too. Most good shots use 32" which also happen to be easier to resell.

You need to handle both to see which you prefer but make sure the Browning is heavy enough if you intend to use it mainly for clays, 8 lbs is minimum, closer to 9 you get the better. If you end up with the Browning please pm me the location of the Beretta.

Guest cookoff013

Is 32" to increase the weight or point ability with longer barrels?

My reason for asking, I shot clays and a guy came over and fiddled with his 32" gun. He put in a good few strips of lead on the midrib.

His gun must have weighed a ton.

My reason for asking, I shot clays and a guy came over and fiddled with his 32" gun. He put in a good few strips of lead on the midrib.

My F3 Pro has 32-inch barrels plus and additional 1.5 inches with the extended Muller chokes but it's perfectly balanced with stock and barrel weights otherwise you could easily run away with it.

It's a heavy gun (over 9lbs) but a joy to shoot.

Some trap shooters have 10lb+ guns!!! 32" are supposed to swing smoother and carry momentum

From memory Blaser barrels maintained the same weight for the three different lengths and Perazzis, Kemens and others allowed for weight of barrels to be specified. So weight and length becomes a choice/preference thing, and with aftermarket barrel weights and extended chokes, user adjustable.

Over the years I have preferred longer 32" barrels and find switching to 28" in any gauge is off-putting. Even focussed on the target theres this black tube lurking in peripheral vision, so for me its something to do with the sight picture and repeatabilty. I borrowed a 34" that immediately looked very 'wrong' to me.

For years i have shot a 28 bore with 30"s but now have a 32" and find it more "pointable?" , tho both had similar weight and balance, so length makes a difference and its probably down to how you use it?

Seems my browser has a strange format .. apologies

Edited by seeker

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot clays with a 30" browning Ultra XS and find no problems with it, I had 32" dt10 and 692 but really couldn't get on with them, can't say for sure it is because of the barrel length as i haven't tried either of them with 30" barrels but I think it comes down to a few factors guns fit/weight/balance between hands etc etc

• 1 month later...

I shoot clays with a 30" browning Ultra XS and find no problems with it, I had 32" dt10 and 692 but really couldn't get on with them, can't say for sure it is because of the barrel length as i haven't tried either of them with 30" barrels but I think it comes down to a few factors guns fit/weight/balance between hands etc etc

I shoot the same gun, (Ultra XS 30")

I changed it for an Ultra XS Prestige 32"

Couldn't get away with it,

Bought my original gun back a year later

:shaun:

I think when you get into long barrels 32"+ this it where the perazzi, krieghoffs etc. come into there own, the mid range berettas blasers etc. haven't quite got the balance, hence the gun is quite hard work. I've shot a HPX in 33"& 34" and shot it very well for just having it set up roughly by John Jeffrey better than my browning i've had for 20+ years. But still not sure what the advantage of longer than 31/32" barrels are

Those old wide action 682's were like swinging a lump of timber, bloody awful things, I dont know how Digweed did it with one, just shows its bu66er-all to do wit gun and all about the shooter.

Edited by ozalid

I picked up the 32" 682 from my local RFD on the last Friday of the season and shot it on the Saturday at a Keepers day. I had 19 pheasants for 41 shots so I'm well pleased though it's a bit of a long un for mooching through the woods !

Thanks for all the comments and advice

Edited by Reiver XXV