some advise please

colin lad

just like to start with a happy new year to you all,

i am looking for a bit of air rifle advise,

i have owned air rifles AAs410, AAs200 ags pc1, and a few break barrels, though i got on very well with both the air arms and if looking for another air rifle for general pest control i would get another without hesitation, but this is a question about what you chaps would recommended for a particular job.

i am looking for a good air rifle to be fitted with a yukon xt for rat shooting in and around barns and only that,

95% of this will be done at no more than 20 yards and also without starting a what's the best calibre debate what would you say to get for this and only this job,

few points

it needs to be a pcp as i don't want to do any damage to photon

it would need to be multi shot

don't want it too big and clumsy as a lot of it is in barns

and budget wise don't want to be spending silly money ie hw 100, bsa r10 prices 300/350 for gun,

i like the idea of a aa200 with 10 shot conversion, or the bsa ultra only problem with the bsa is the only one i have seen used is a older 2005 model with single shot and that seemed too much faffing to reload, what are the newer 10 shot bsa ultra's like ?.
and also would you go .22 or .25 again it will be close up work so the .25 won't have trajectory problems.

don't mind 2nd hand if it is decent ??

colin

Hi Colin

I would have a look at a BSA Ultra for that money.One of the new ones 10 shot mag, bolt action and synthetic stock so it will take a knocking about.

A .25 would be ideal if you could get it but 2nd hand they would be as rare as hens teeth and new you would be looking at about £430 ish I would think.

The R10 BSA has had a few issues but to be honest all the ultras we have ever seen through the club have been fine. In fact we regularly get one as a loaner from R+K for new members to play with and have never had an issue with them.

However .22 has always worked well for me on rats especially if you use a hollow point or flat head and at sub 20 yard ranges the accuracy with them doesnt suffer that much either if you get a pellet the gun half likes. Shot count is also good on the new ultras being about 50 useable shots in .22.

You should easily be able to pick one up for about £300 ish with a mod off somewhere like airgun BBS a lot of new people to the sport tend to grab a .22 and then when they hit the club scene move to .177 so there tends to be a regular supply about.

Its a bit of a *** really as my mate let a .25 cal Scorpion go last month for what you are looking at and he only lived in Kempston :no: .

Hope the above helps

Neil

Edited by Zetter

my buddy has got a webley raider, cracking little rifle but only downfall its two shot but I believe you can get a conversion for them to multishot, if I was you I would go for the AAs200, a superbly accurate rifle and perfect for what your gonna use it for

atb Evo

You could pick up a little logun solo for that sort of shooting thats all i use with a photon on top with 10 shot mag conversion its super accurate at 30 yards it puts pellet on pellet i payed 300 for mine with scope and 3ltr 300 bar bottle with bag and mod so there is some good deals out there

As regards to calibre ive shot rats with .22 .177 and .20 and they all kill just aswell as each other with head shots i have a friend who uses a .25 and always shoots for heart lung shots and kills them cleanly like that so id concentrate more on finding a gun your accurate with instead of calibre because we all have a duty to kill humanely cherrs ben

The ultra is a decent gun apart from the amount of faffing about to cock / fire .

The S200 is what I would go for , a 10 shot conversion is about £60 from rowan engineering .

Calibre wise I would go for 22 over 25 simply for the availability and choice of pellets compared to 25 , it will also be more suitable if you want to use it on something else at a later date and easier to sell if you decide to move it on , I dont think the s200 comes in 25 anyway

Edited by fenboy

S200 in .22 with the Air Arms multishot because it's auto indexing not manual.

You'll get around 50/55 shots per fill usually starting around 160 bar down to 100 bar. That makes it easy to top up with a pump.

If you're likely to use the gun for anything else then go for .177 which will do the job just as well.

Regards

Tim

my 1st thoughts were AAs200 as that was my 1st pcp rifle and got on very well with it,

my mate (outlander) had a bsa ultra i liked the look of but didn't like the cocking system,

i had the 10 conversion done on my AA and could rattle off 3 shots in the time it would take outlander to reload and in a barn full of rats then getting a quick 2nd/3rd shot put the AA ahead,

both these guns were pre 2005 models and both had bad points the AA had no safety and BSA the cocking,

now the new versions the AA now has a safety and the BSA has a multi shot so both seem fine,

can't remember how much longer the AA is compared to the BSA as being a small compact rifle it would suit barn work well,

maybe a trip to R&K to pick both up and compare would be best option,

i know what you are saying about the .177 doing just as well my AA was .177 and would deal with rabbits on the golf course at some impressive range's but this is barn work and a lot of the rats are up in the rafters and i feel the .177 would be more likely to go through and punch hole in the roof's as i already have done a couple of time's (sorry Pete),

i was thinking more .22 and flat head or hollow point hoping they would dump more energy in the rat and be less likely to exit hence the the possible .25

thanks all Colin

the newer ultra in 22 with synthetic stock will do just fine,short,light,with bolt action,the new bsa magazines are good on indexing they don't have problems like the early ones,i have an eary type in 177,use it on bunnies even though I have an fn12 and hw100 both in 22.

For what you want I think a .22 BSA super 10 would be ideal, not pretty but you won't see that in the dark, it has a large shot count and the carbine version is fairly compact. I would have said the ultra but I'd want more shots per fill on rats. I've seen them for sale without scopes for £300 too.

• 2 weeks later...

colin lad I got a AA s200 .177 in garage with bottle but needs some bits for it lad at work is trying to sell me it but have feeling I might end up with it for free if I play me cards right as I keep telling him it will be to much to get workingpost-73187-0-81554700-1420983169_thumb.jpg

Here we are Colin the bottle needs testing and needs a regulator and the air chamber is at work as it was leaking so his son has tried to undo brass end with mole grips and chewed the end so trying to tidy it up might get a new chamber for it

I cleaned it up and have found seals at work to match so gonna stick so argon gas in it cause that's the only bottle we have that will go 250 psi but put less in and put it in the sink to see if it leaks

250bar

argon gas in it ??? correct me if I,m wrong but why are you putting that in it, I thought argon gas has helium in it ??? hope I,m wrong but it will end up like the Hindenburg ,

only put pure air in any bottle or cylinder unless you want to take the risk of loseing a few limbs and or your life,,i may be wrong but I didn,t know argon gas was just air ???

argon gas in it ??? correct me if I,m wrong but why are you putting that in it, I thought argon gas has helium in it ??? hope I,m wrong but it will end up like the Hindenburg ,

only put pure air in any bottle or cylinder unless you want to take the risk of loseing a few limbs and or your life,,i may be wrong but I didn,t know argon gas was just air ???

Argon is an element, so it has nothing but argon in it, but even so, evo's right. NEVER put anything other than that which the cylinder is designed for: BREATHING AIR. Anything else and you're talking mucking around with a pressure bomb and that's just stupid. Work within its intended parameters. air or nothing