What not to buy

Gunman

I am not car person in so much I am not clued up on all makes and models , to me a car is a tool to be bought and used , so may be you could be of some help ,

My wife's 16 year old Nissan Micra will not past its MOT this coming April so we are looking to find a small car replacement , Its not going to do big miles maybe 3000 plus pa. It has to be small enough to fit in a garage and we do not want to spend more than £3000 on a 5 year old second hand replacement , Question is there being a large number of possibilities is what not to buy or to avoid .

A Citroen c one or Peugeot 107 both same car as a Toyota Aygo for a lot less money. Good reliable cheap to run little car.

Both my children started off with one each of these, son still has his Daughter has had a few cars now and loves her polo 1.6 diesel, sadly not in your price range at that age.

Don't go for the newer model moves to the one you have they are plagued with problems, the newest one is good.

Edited by figgy

Wife has just had her 2005 C2 written off ( hit from behind at speed) she had it from new and apart from a literally £10 fix of an electrical problem with the rear off side light it never missed a beat, however on replacing the car she wanted a different model, and did not want to spend to much, so we looked about and picked up a 2007 ford KA with only 32.000 on it for the princely sum of £1200 and she loves it, out of the two the ford is surprisingly more solid in feel than the C2.

KW

just to buck the trend,

my time spent with the C1 was a nightmare.

it was 3 years old when we got it, and had 17000 miles on the clock.

within 12 months i had replaced the whole exhaust system, the alternator, the water pump, the boot seal, all of the locks (boot, doors, ignition) and a wheel bearing.

luckily i work in the motor trade so there was no fitting costs involved, but if i couldnt have done it myself the repairs would have equated to around a third of what we actually paid for the bloomin thing!

the one plus point was the fuel economy, we did a 700 mile round trip and it averaged 78 mpg.

if you decide to go down the C1/107/aygo route, buy the toyota.

its more expensive for a reason...

Go for another Micra. They are superb cars, and your wife will notice a huge difference if she takes a newer model out for a test drive. :good:

+1

I've had a couple of the older Micra's for tootling about. A friend just sold a V reg one for £250 with just 23000 miles on the clock. The guy that bought it knew he was getting a bargain and gave him £400 for it!

Hyundai I10, small and reliable little cars. Don't see many in the garage. Nissan not as good since Renault got there hands on them.

Citroën and Peugeot ok till around 6 years old then can start costing money.

Toyota ok but more expensive to buy so you'll end up with an old one.

I used to work for Citroen and left not long after the c1 came out don't be put off by the Citroen badge as many people have said French cars are rubbish well they are but the c1 is jap it's completely made by toyota the only difference is the badges. Even when you service them the filters are all toyota.

Now I am not saying they are great cars in anyway as they are not my kind of car I would go down the line of a polo I think if it was me just a bit more safety features.

Mk3 Renault Clio 1.4 petrol, does everything you want it to with a good size boot etc.

Toyota Yaris good car also slightly smaller

Suzuki swift also a nice car in 1.3 form.

Keep it small, petrol and non turbo engined and it will be reliable enough for small miles.

If you go for an older car go for a lupo 1.7 SDI does 200k on an engine easily and due to being diesel and non turbo it's very reliable for smaller miles unlike a turbo diesel cars but also £30 a year tax

Edited by Dan.

How about a kia picanto we used to run them as loan cars great little cars brakes are a bit keen but nice to drive

You won't go far wrong with a micra

Just look around and find what you like no modern cars are really unreliable if looked after

Fiats being around the worst but on the flip side they are really cheap to repair

Find something you like and I'll try and point you at what to look for if you like