vehicles in the field

percy verance

i often drive nose first into a spinney and open the back door of the landrover...chuck a few shells out and shoot for an hour or 2 this way.....its all to do with movement....if the pigeons see movement ...no chance.......if you see the birds at distance put the gun into port position ...then up-an-thro at the last second...

A few years ago I had a Micra, bright red, a brilliantly reliable form of transport but not exactly a shooting vehicle.

However, one wet day I drove it across the stubble and parked under some trees and put decoys out. Woodies ignored the car and landed yards away! I hung netting over the windows to break my outline and they landed even closer!

Most woodies are used to seeing cars, they ignore them as long as they can't see the human inside, use your car as a hide.

The Micra eventually became known as the LandMicra because it would tackle just about anything as long as you had a bit of speed up.

It's now 20 years old and retired from shooting but is now the "first car" for a friends daughter.

I recall some time ago someone did some testing in this area, they used red building site fencing, bright colured clothing, and all sorts of coloured objects we would normally not consider using in the field. Conclusion was it does not matter, the issue was movement, nothing else seemed to put the pigeons off.

Percy me and a pal sat in the midfle of a stubble field in his grand vitara , silver in colour with a bit of nettin over doors put decoys out and sat in car shooting pigeons , if the birds want to be on they will be on. Atb ezi.

By the way my pal has pics on his phone .

Hi comrades, was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on whether a parked vehicle makes pigeons wary when left in the same field as the hide, if so how far should it be parked away or maybe a net over? thanks.

I have shot out the back of my truck quiet a few times and i have had it parked a very short walk from the hide also dont seem to make that much of a problem