Lab X spaniel

MJO

Does anyone have experience of how Lab / spaniel (springer or cocker) crosses tend to perform and/or what they are like to train?

Main requirement would be rough shooting / flushing out and retrieving - and not savaging the kids of course.

They will train / work fine if they come from decent working stock.

But I see no advantage to having one , if you want a good rough shooting dog then buy a springer or a cocker , they have been bred to do the job for century's where as the crosses seem to be a modern fad.

Just my opinion.

They will train / work fine if they come from decent working stock.

But I see no advantage to having one , if you want a good rough shooting dog then buy a springer or a cocker , they have been bred to do the job for century's where as the crosses seem to be a modern fad.

Just my opinion.

Thanks - good to know. I wasn't aware they were a fad, but just noticed they were cheaper than their pedigree comrades - that was the main attraction

Thanks - good to know. I wasn't aware they were a fad, but just noticed they were cheaper than their pedigree comrades - that was the main attraction

Like most things in life the cheap option is not always the best option .

Good springers dont generally cost the earth .

Labrador if you have children.

We have a springer, but they are more hyper and harder to train than a lab. Years ago I did have a labxspringer he was more lab though and I didn't shoot then, but he did well in obedience trials.

He wants it for rough shooting , as much as I like labs if I was rough shooting I would want another spaniel ,whats having kids got to do with it ?

With our spaniels I kennel mine as I have two young children and the wife didn't want the kids to get bowled over by excited dogs or for the kids to work them up into a frenzy. Between you and me I would love to have them in but the mrs is probably right (but I never said that and would put it all down to a typo is she reads this lol)

Must admit i rough shoot over my labs all the time, got a springer as well. but any decent lab should go into cover if there scent there, might not hit cover for no reason like a spaniel.

But my labs have ratched throu whin bushes and brairs that spaniels where refusing, most of the beating lines round this area are predorminately labs. On a spaniel training day i was shooting on 1 handler wouldnae let there dog hunt in netteles or brairs as they were 'too thick' was some of the best game holding cover on the beat :no:

Yes spaniels may have a slight edge but no reason labs cannae do it. If i only could have 1 dog it would be a lab for rough shooting and everything else

Take your time in what dog you decide to get.

It's a big commitment 10-15 yrs. also hours and

hours of training. With a dog costing thousands

over its life time. A few hundred quid extra now

to get the right dog for you. In my opinion would be

money well spent now. I have a cocker. Great dog

but being my first dog I have found him hard to train

as we both have our L plates on. But we are slowly

getting there. Also get a pup so it grows up with your

children.

Any dog is hard to train, so don't listen to people who say " springers are a lot more hyper than a lab so harder to train " what a load of rubbish, I've had 3 springers and had no problems, it's the trainer not the dog. I shoot with a young lad who has a lab x springer and I never seen such a fantastically looking dog, he's quick, agile, his vision and sense of smell is incredible. Most weeks I make a beeline to give it a fuss as it loves a good fuss haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Take your time in what dog you decide to get.

It's a big commitment 10-15 yrs. also hours and

hours of training. With a dog costing thousands

over its life time. A few hundred quid extra now

to get the right dog for you. In my opinion would be

money well spent now. I have a cocker. Great dog

but being my first dog I have found him hard to train

as we both have our L plates on. But we are slowly

getting there. Also get a pup so it grows up with your

children.

+1😀