Hypaflap pigeon decoys or professional flapping pigeon

Ash1

I want to get some new decoys for my rotary and am looking at getting either a pair of hypaflaps from shoot warehouse or some professional flapping pigeons from A1 decoys. They seem to look quite different. If anyone has some experience of using both types what would you go for?

Agree with both answers above, but if you don't have dead birds, and I doubt there's anyone who hasn't at one point been in that situation, then Hyperflaps are very very good.

I always use dead birds, but I've had days where I didn't have real and used Hyper's; QUite often the birds came in so well with them that I don't replace them with dead birds on those days!!

Personally I would say they are an excellent tool to have in your kit.

Cos

Agree with both answers above, but if you don't have dead birds, and I doubt there's anyone who hasn't at one point been in that situation, then Hyperflaps are very very good.

I always use dead birds, but I've had days where I didn't have real and used Hyper's; QUite often the birds came in so well with them that I don't replace them with dead birds on those days!!

Personally I would say they are an excellent tool to have in your kit.

Cos

A freezer is the answer , I never have no dead birds ever :yes:

The hyper / pro flaps may be ok for the occasional shooter , who does not want to shoot on a windy day , or run their magnet at a decent speed .

You may well have birds coming in well to them , that does not mean they would not have come in better still if you had changed to dead birds ., the time it takes faffing about to get the hyperflaps to behave correctly chances are you would have shot two ones over the decoys !

A freezer is the answer , I never have no dead birds ever :yes:

The hyper / pro flaps may be ok for the occasional shooter , who does not want to shoot on a windy day , or run their magnet at a decent speed .

You may well have birds coming in well to them , that does not mean they would not have come in better still if you had changed to dead birds ., the time it takes faffing about to get the hyperflaps to behave correctly chances are you would have shot two ones over the decoys !

Hello mate!!

I'm not going to argue anything being better than the real thing, that's a no brainer.

I know you're an experienced shot so not meaning to teach you how to suck eggs, but...... :)

We all now the old saying "different ways for different days"; Some days the birds just don't want to play, and an experienced shooter will/can change proven methods that work most times just to get the birds to respond. I did a post some time back where I experienced birds just jinking away from the magnet no matter where I placed it and what speeds I set it at. Took the real birds off and replaced with Hypers and they started coming in.

They do have limitations, especially on windy days as you said, but I for one think they are a decent bit of kit. Just my personal view, tin hat now on :)

Cos

No tin hat required , your welcome to your opinion and if you happy using them crack on , pigeons as I am sure you are aware can be very fickle , not wanting to know one minute and coming in as if on rails the next so you may have swapped over to coincide with such a period , who knows

What I will say is the hyperflaps do give more movement and do look the part if you can get them behaving correctly , I like to run a magnet flat out and they are not suitable for that , when I am pigeon shooting I want to be doing just that not having to keep leaving the hide to sort out twisted wrapped up artificials on the magnet.

If the OP is determined to buy some though the hyperflap is what I would have above anything else currently avaiilable.

As above, not all of us want to or have space to run a freezer to keep real birds for decoys, I rate hypaflaps as a handy tool and as all of my permissions are walks I like to save as much weight as possible with the kit.

Its my personal preference but I do get more satisfaction if I can get birds to commit to a pattern or rotary with an artificial layout, but do replace with real birds when dropped if I find they are a little reluctant and would not argue the fact that real birds as decoys are the best.

Never had problems with hypaflaps. I've two magnets. Larger one takes DEAD birds and lighter one only artificial (could adapt it by changing arms but don't want to).

I've never had issues using either of them but obviously you can't beat a real bird for colouration.

Not that two dead birds spinning round and round without flapping or moving out of their continuous circle look in the slightest bit real.

In my opinion it's just a movement that catches their eye and distracts them from noticing the shooter whilst helping them spot and focus on the decoy pattern.

Edited by Suffolkngood

How do you attach live birds :)

This is dependent on type of rotary/arm but slide spike up vent of pigeon and fix wings (several different types of figments from loops, spikes and clips). Some light weight rotarys do not allow live birds to be mounter without adapting them.

Be careful though as they flap and peck like hell! Lol

Edited by Suffolkngood

This is dependent on type of rotary/arm but slide spike up vent of pigeon and fix wings (several different types of figments from loops, spikes and clips). Some light weight rotarys do not allow live birds to be mounter without adapting them.

Be careful though as they flap and peck like hell! Lol

Sounds a lot of messing about , I will stick with the dead ones :lol:

I agree dead birds are great but what if you arrive at the hide and don't have birds for the magnet or flappers, it could be a while before you can knock down what you need, for that reason I always have a pair of Hypa Flaps in the bag, set them up on the magnet as soon as I get into the hide and start getting birds in from the get go. first two down always go on the Turbo flappers, then if I get time I will take the Hypa flaps off and try a couple of dead birds on the magnet, but as long as they keep coming you know you are doing something right. :yes::yes: