Walther RM8 .22

hoggysreels

Noticed you have slid the original shroud back to accomodate the moderator. I took mine off in a vain attempt to save a bit of weight ... l failed !

why did it fail pete ?,,that weight on the front of the barrel is one thing I don't like about the rifle,,it does nothing except make the rifle feel front heavy

Noticed you have slid the original shroud back to accomodate the moderator. I took mine off in a vain attempt to save a bit of weight ... l failed !

It is not a shroud. It is a barrel weight that is there to stop barrel vibration on firing (allegedly).

Its just a cosmetic finishing trim, serves no really purpose that l can see. It makes the rifle a more aesthetically looking shape. I just screwed the whisper 180 on the barrel in place of the trim ..moles looks fine me thinks ...

It is not a finishing trim. It is a barrel weight that stops the barrel vibrating when the pellet is fired and is supposed (allegedly) to aid accuracy! The end cap just screws off the barrel and you can put a silencer on without touching the barrel weight! I did just this because

1) With a .177 using a higher air volume per shot, harmonics (vibration) is allegedly more common.

2) It just looked the muts.

OK so it was mainly 2) and like Hoggy I could not really notice any weight difference because of it (I removed the weight off the .22 I had). It really does look the part with that on though.

I have now camo taped the silencer as the carbon fibre was really glistening in sunlight, not good for roost shooting!

Edited by secretagentmole