Do you treat your dogs for fleas?

Dirty Harry

My dogs are due flea treatment but I'm not sure if I should bother. I've always treated them with frontline but my vets have stopped selling frontline and the last stuff I got from them left a very greasy mark on them for almost a week. I then gave them a tablet that did for ticks and worms for 3 months.

I was talking with the breeder of my puppy and it turns out they don't bother unless the dogs (and they have a lot) get fleas. Their dogs are always at shows, working tests and out hunting and they don't have a problem with fleas.

This has got me thinking should I bother?

The price of the stuff seems to be going up all the time. As a kid we never did our dogs and if they got a flea we would just spray them. We don't have cats and they only come into contact with dogs they are treated. We are out in the sticks and they don't meet lots of other dogs as they did when we lived in town?

They are all house dogs and if they started scratching we would see immediately.

What do you guys think?

Do mine all year. If you don't they can pick them up at low numbers and become established in your house - leading to a cycle of reinfection.

The tablets lasting one to three months are economical and very effective.

Fleas also spread tapeworms.

Ignore the actual cost as it's minimal, my brother is a rep for the company that makes the tablets and they do seem to be working very well.

With regard to stopping treatment it's a hard one I am pretty slack with mine and do drop months and touch wood no issues. However if you do get an infestation at home they aren't the easiest to clear up

I've just phoned my vets to get a price for the Bravecto. £33.96 x2 and £27.67 x1. A quick search online found the same stuff at £17.90 and £15.20!

So if I go to my vets it's £382.36 a year to flea my 3 dogs.

If I go online it's £204.

The vets want £12 to write a prescription but I will be saving enough to cover that.

Does anyone else think it's a bit too expensive?

*******Edit******

Just to be clear this is not a vet bashing thread and I really appreciate the help and advice from Apache and any other vets on here.

Edited by Dirty Harry