Newbie from Warwickshire!

flycoy

Hi welcome to pigeon watch.

As a total newbie and coming from the rugby area. Could you explain what happens on a roost shoot? Do you need all the camo gear?

As been wanting to get involved in something like this. Can beginners join to?

Cheers

Hi Wingy,

As Flycoy has said provided you are a safe shot and take safe shots then the roost shooting at Rugby is a good introduction. The basics of roost shooting for pigeons is that you take position in your allotted wood late afternoon and wait for the pigeons to come back to roost for the night after being out feeding one the local farmers crops. The busiest period can often be as the light is fading.

So this is where the luck of the draw comes in, you might draw a wood (or part of the wood if it's a big wood and there are several guns covering it) where there are many pigeons roosting or one where none are roosting.

You ask about camo gear, that's an interesting topic. Pigeons have great eyesight and can pick up the slightest movement. Last year on the Rugby shoot I had a pigeon coming in to roost and when it got in range about 30 to 35 yards, I mounted the gun, this slight movement was picked by the pigeon which swerved violently and was gun before I could complete the mount. This was with me wearing camo jacket and hat. What they pick up on is your skins tones on your face (when looking up) and hands. So now I tend to wear gloves (Macwets) and a great camo cap with camo face veil that I got from Bass Pro Shops.

The things to look out for in your allotted wood are signs of pigeons droppings at the base of trees, a sure sign that they have been roosting there, also a favourite spot is where you get a clump of conifers in the middle of a group of deciduous trees, these are a favourite place in cold windy weather as the evergreens provide a lot of warm and protection.

So get your form for next year from Rugby Ginshop and give it a go.