torn ear tip

cpaulc

My Spaniel came home with a little tear in her ear tip today. Its about 4mm into the tip. I've cleaned it up well and put the dreaded iodine on. It looks fine and clean now. Has anyone else had this, and took them to the vets, was it worth the trip? Did the vet do any more than clean it further? It seems very small to be stitched back together.

Picture I hope

post-67251-0-86073700-1420920011_thumb.jpg

Don't worry too much about it because dogs heal up so quickly. As long as you have seen the wound and it is kept clean it will self heal in a jiffy. Dogs have evolved in a wild dirty environment for thousands of years and evolution has designed them to overcome injuries like this easily. I had a lab that ripped its ear on barbed wire and the rip was about 2 inches long. The dog came to heal and was covered all down one side with blood. It quite frightened me by the amount of blood that appeared to be coming out. Try fixing a finger plaster to wet wound like that in the field. The dog just shook its head and off came the plaster. A couple of days later I could hardly see the wound.

Edited by fortune

Just as I thought! Thanks for the confirmation. Yes didnt notice it at first, thought it was duck blood. Then she was in and out of wet ditches so much after that the blood didn't stick around. Noticed the clump of dried blood during the post beating brushing session. She is happy as any dog now, flat out snoring on the sofa next to me.

Hi

My dog did this the other week and it looked bad because the tip of the ear bleeds alot.

I cleaned her ear and it was heeling up nicely and then she took the scab of it in some brambles a week later.

I would not take mine to the vets unless it doesn't stop bleeding or it get infected.

post-66262-0-07465000-1420926016_thumb.jpg

My dogs are doing it all the time. Clean it and keep an eye on it just in case.

A mates terrier did it once, a little blood goes along way.

He asked his girl friend to put the dog in the back of my range rover so she put it on the back seat not in the boxes in the boot, the inside of the car looked like something out of the living dead!!! The dog was fine and more than happy to sleep on the nice leather seats!

My dog did this a few years ago, I tried to fix it up, but couldn't get the bleeding to stop, it had gone through a vein at the base and the dog had managed to walk round most of the house shaking his head before I realised. Ended up taking him to the vets on a Sunday and had to cough up £375 for the privelidge.

My dog did this a few years ago, the dog had managed to walk round most of the house shaking his head before I realised.

Beastly dog. <_<

the dog had managed to walk round most of the house shaking his head before I realised. Ended up taking him to the vets on a Sunday and had to cough up £375 for the privelidge.

Beastly Vet !! :no:

Edited by fortune

Super glue :yes:

They put a blue dye in it and call it Vetbond. :)

Good advice here - the £375 vet bill probably entailed anaesthetising the dog for stitching it up. (Which is different than the vet stitching you up with a big bill for little services rendered.) Ears are the one place on a dog, especially a dog with long ears that makes its crust in cover, that not only heal slowly but that can be aggravated and become a chronic wound by reopening.

Ask me how I know - or don't - if

100_4585_zps00ffcfb4.jpg

if you look closely enough here at my having found out "the hard way"...

100_4565_zps0d29a473.jpg

100_4523_zps7145d7a6.jpg

MG